Help me out. before you say anything like do your own homework, I need an opinion.
Which will oil faster: Salt, sugar, or oil, and state why you think that.
Seriously, i have to start from scratch, and finis it by tommrow.
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
?? Oil, because it's oil??
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Mannypedraza
Help me out. before you say anything like do your own homework, I need an opinion.
Which will oil faster: Salt, sugar, or oil, and state why you think that.
Seriously, i have to start from scratch, and finis it by tommrow.

Do your own homework.
Ok, I said it wrong,the actual question is-
Which would help water boil faster? Salt, sugar or oil.
And, yes,I am doing my own homework, this is just a opinion part.
Salt, it has less chemical bonds, i think and oil has carbon to carbon double bonds.
also its got a larger surface area cos its almost a powder.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by charlie__flynn
Salt, it has less chemical bonds, i think and oil has carbon to carbon double bonds.also its got a larger surface area cos its almost a powder.

And single,assuming he's using crude oil
and is highly flammable (I believe)

Salt lowers the temperature of ice,and is one huge covalent lattice

Sugar is just refined fructose,I think.

I'd say the oil.
Definately not the salt. If it's table salt we're talking about, which is sodium chloride, it takes around 700-800 degrees to boil. This is because sodium chloride exists in a covalent network, with 6 chlorines around 1 sodium and 6 sodiums around 1 chlorine. This crystalline structure is VERY hard to break.
Sugar is a mixture of mono and disaccharides, and these sugars contain hydrogen bonding. Glucose, the most simple monosaccharides, has the chemical forumula C6H12O6,so quite alot of oppurtunity for hydrogen bonding to strengthen the intermolecular forces between each other.
If it's crude oil we're talking about,this is a mixture of various chemicals compounds. In order to fully fractionally distilate crude oil you need to heat it up to around 400 degrees. This would be quite an ambiguous oil to choose to compare.
If it's other kinds of oil like vegetable oil, well these are maybe up of two parts,a glycerol part and fatty acid part. Although the glycerol does contain some oxygen, all the hydrogens in this molecule are bound onto carbons, so no hydrogen bonding can occur. Once again this doesn't exist in a network. So overall the oil will boil easier.
Hope that's good enough.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Gordon Smith electric guitar
Zoom GFX-707 Multi-effects
Crappy starter amp
Last edited by Delta-dragoon at May 31, 2008,
Its cooking oil, table salt, granioulated sugar.
If that helps, we did the experiment and sugar boiled fast, explanation?