Hey all, I'll have approximately 1600$ at the beginning of the summer, which I plan on spending on a new guitar and possibly a new amp. I currently own a squier strat and I really don't hate it or anything, it's just starting to fall apart on me and Ive had it for about a year and a half, so I say it's new gear time. I'm thinking of either some kind of ibanez, probably an RG series, or a fender american strat.

I play a wide range of music, basically anything that doesn't require dropped tuning,(that's not why I don't play it ). I currently am learning Iron Maiden stuff and a bit of Zep, and whatever else I feel inspired to learn

I'd like any and all guitars to be suggested so that I can see a bunch of different examples to choose from. Also, although I got a 30w amp for christmas this year, I may buy a bigger amp if I can find one I like for gigs and whatnot. I'm thinking of spending maybe 1000 on the guitar and 600 on the amp or vice versa, or if I fall in love with some expensive guitar, ill buy that then save up for a new amp later.

Thanks.

EDIT: Examples of music I play/like:

Metallica, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, GNR, Van Halen, shred stuff like Vai, Racer X, and Malmsteen, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Hendrix, ACDC ect...

I like EVH's and both guitarists from Maiden's soloing tones, as well as lifeson's overall tone.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Last edited by kyle100 at May 31, 2008,
can you specify some of the bands/artists/guitarists you like? more than just iron maiden and zep?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
i thinksomething like a marshall dsl and a used american strat would be good for you. i've heard that mesas are quite good as well for the kind of stuff you like
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I would definitely say hit up that American Strat. The new '08 Standards are very well made, and sound great.

I just picture Ibanez as a more hard-rock, metal type of guitar. Judging by what bands you like and how you play in standard (presumably), I would say the Strat's your better choice.
well i have a ibanez rg series and a fender stratocaster and i like them both
alot buy i really the the fender stratocaster better. its just got a better sound to it then
my ibanez.

so i would chose the all american stratocaster because you will like it a lot.
Guitars: Ibanez RG Series Jewel blue.
Fender Stratocaster Brown Sunburst Maple fretboard.

Amps:
Marshall 15W
Peavy 15W
crate
Crate Head

Wish list.
Future Guitar: Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric Guitar.