Over the past 3 days I have been getting this pain near the surface of the second thumb joint of my fretting hand. I sprained this joint before long ago, but never really experienced any trouble with it before this thing and the weird thing is it sometimes itches a lot and sometimes it doesn't. I am hoping its not arthritis. Did any of you ever experience something similar and does arthritis induce itching?

THX
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
About 3 months ago I sprained/dislocated my thumb on my right picking hand, and I had to relearn how to pick, It hurts somtimes and doesnt others, If play longer than about an hour at a time I have to stop or change my picking style.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Hay if you do have arthritis and I'm not saying you do, you should try these out I don't have arthritis but I use them when I get pains in my left hand they really work...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COPPER-BRASS-BRACELET-rhemuatism-and-arthritis-6_W0QQitemZ230233109252QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11777QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store

I'm not selling those by the way lol I don't actually have an EBay account.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Last edited by Cloudkill at May 31, 2008,
Do you think I should stop practicing for a bit or what?

Cloudkill: unfortunately I cant get those, I don't have an eBay account either.

I would recommend you rest, I live by the saying no pain no gain give it 2-3 days and revise your theory.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
The itching has me thinking you may have torn a muscle or strain a ligament or tendon or something. If that's the case, all you can do is rest and take a anti-inflammatory like Advil. Stop playing for a few days and see if it starts to feel better. If it does, continue to rest for a bit. A week away from playing won't kill you or diminish your' progress. Continuing to play thru pain can hurt you for good.
doctor
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If something hurts when playing guitar, stop.

If it continues, talk to a doctor.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
the itching has me thinking that you might become a famous guitarist and get rich =x
Quote by Bamitchell
So you have possible wang cancer and your on drugs? PWNT.

"Money Can't Buy Life" - Bob Marley
From what it seems it's possible you are having a nerve problem in your hands.

If it's itching and has been in a sprain or fracture at some point it's possible to cause nerve damage which would explain the itching.

though I'm not familiar with arthritis symptoms other than restricted joint movement and stiffness.
^^

how long have you been playing? does it hurt more when you barre chords? fretting hand?

anyway, a while back i was getting pretty hand cramps near the thumb joint on the fretting hand.
went to a hand doc, turns out the ligament is stretched.
i went to PT, was told to warm up before playing, to ice after and to stop when pain hits.

proper hand position is important so raise your guitar if it's too low.

look out for any redness, swelling or pain that continues when not playing.
exercise by squeezing rubber balls and pulling rubber bands, and see a doctor if you're alarmed in any way.

oh and after i injured nerves in my back i developed a permanent itch at my right shoulder blade. there's a name for it, (i forget at the moment) and is believed to be a side effect of nerve damage.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 31, 2008,
I have been playing for 3 years and I mostly play sitting down. It comes and goes I just played for an hour and there was no pain and the itching subsided for the last 8 hours or so, I guess the only definitive way I am going to get through this is by going to the doctor, and I will cut back on my practice or something until I see him.

EDIT: I hope you are right element 166

Last edited by breakstuff at May 31, 2008,
yeah best bet there. after i had pt and a brace, my thumb has been much better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i got authritis in my left hand, i still play the guitar tho and some times i have to excercise my hand b-4 i can play. one good way to tell if you got ole uncle arther is your joints will swell especially in your knuckles and fingers. the pain can at time be so intense that it will make you wince. i dont remember any real itching. btw how old are you? cuz it sounds like you have more of a repetitive strain in muscle / ligament. diagnosis, take a break. try hand excercises to get the blood flowing b-4 you touch your guitar. a tennis ball comes to mind.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab