Page 1 of 2
i hope it doesn't pass. that seems like it is taking it too far.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Elaborate!
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
there goes our rights.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
What the ****. They don't have the time to check everybody's ****, and this is a complete wanktastic idea.

It will never be taken seriously.

Also, "We're going to shut down Pirate Bay" style stuff. Hmmmmmmmm where have I heard that one before. Ok, I no longer take this seriously.
They're gonna search our mp3 players at airports? How are they going to prove the music is illegally downloaded by looking through our mp3 players?
It won't pass, since this basically makes any MP3 player illegal (since according to record labels ripping CDs is illegal), so the electronics industry will not let it happen.
The proposed agreement would allow border officials to search laptops, MP3 players, and cellular phones for copyright-infringing content.
High Five for the desktop owners
Quote by mr.joopy987
It won't pass, since this basically makes any MP3 player illegal (since according to record labels ripping CDs is illegal), so the electronics industry will not let it happen.

Yeah. Because making a back-up of my paid-for material is clearly illegal.

How the hell are they supposed to know whether I've paid for stuff or not, anyway. The more I look into this, the more retarded it appears.
Quote by vlp_dope
there goes our rights.

Your right to illegally download music?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by mr.joopy987

Exactly. But they may use the existance of itunes and other online mp3 stores as a counter arguement
If this goes through, I'm ****ed next time I go on Holiday....
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by Mazzakazza
Yeah. Because making a back-up of my paid-for material is clearly illegal.

I know, it is a terrible interpretation of copyright laws, and that interpretation is what is going to keep this from becoming reality.
that's extreme, and I'm willing to bet there will be ISPs that refuse to cooperate.

Quote by duncang

no, the right to privacy and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I don't see how they can possibly know whether an MP3 player has illegal music or not.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by duncang

our rights to privacy, which according to that agreement, we will lose.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
hahaha wont happen if they tried to check my laptop id be like
no it has a bios password ****tard you aint gtting in lol bash him over the head with it and run away quickly :P
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Quote by One on Sunday
if they do check your mp3s how will they know which songs are legal and which arent?

Exactly, same goes for films. And games on laptops.

If I password/PIN protect my stuff, wouldn't searching the things without my consent and access be illegal anyway. <- This last comment is curiosity, I'm unsure of the law here, probably murky water.
well on the MP3 player thing, have you ever grabbed someone's MP3 player and it said stuff like

AC\DC- School's out (for the ten that dont know, alice cooper did that song)
or
Enter_Sandman_metallica.mp3

it's sometimes obvious.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

legal mp3s usually have tags that say where they where bought from, they also usually have (or will have in the future) some form of copy protection, of course all of this can be replicated illegally, but that's how they would tell, in theory anyway.

Last.fm
Quote by an epic mistake
well on the MP3 player thing, have you ever grabbed someone's MP3 player and it said stuff like

AC\DC- School's out (for the ten that dont know, alice cooper did that song)
or
Enter_Sandman_metallica.mp3

it's sometimes obvious.

But impossible to prove.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
legal mp3s usually have tags that say where they where bought from, they also usually have (or will have in the future) some form of copy protection, of course all of this can be replicated illegally, but that's how they would tell, in theory anyway.

there's the problem.

you can make assumptions. so they can't really assume that an mp3 is illegal because it doesn't have the appropriate tags. At least not until those tags are required.

plus it's easy to edit the tags. I personally delete anything not relevant to the song when I get my music.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
This is a detailed schematic I drew of the Situation.

ΙΓΘΝζΑ
か゚つてへこ
Quote by duncang
But impossible to prove.

Ouch, I got burned.

Do you have a bag of ice I could borrow?

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by Lemoninfluence
there's the problem.

you can make assumptions. so they can't really assume that an mp3 is illegal because it doesn't have the appropriate tags. At least not until those tags are required.

plus it's easy to edit the tags. I personally delete anything not relevant to the song when I get my music.

yeah I'm sure they'll make it mandatory to add some sort of embedded tag that can't be removed by normal means (although most people would want to add them in this case) They'll have to do something like that for there to be any chance at all of this getting through.

Last.fm
Quote by an epic mistake
Ouch, I got burned.

Do you have a bag of ice I could borrow?

He's right. I often fiddle with songs, sometimes altering names, artists names, capitalisation...When I'm not connected to the Internet, the files will arrive under 'Unknown song, Unknown artist', when I rip a CD, so I name them myself if I have the time to do so. I'm not going to say that I don't have dodgy music, which I don't, but if I did, then these could easily be mistook for they.

Quote by TEK34
But the tabs here are someone elses interpretation of the song?

UG is hosted in Russia. The copyright laws are in water so murky, they've choked to death.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah I'm sure they'll make it mandatory to add some sort of embedded tag that can't be removed by normal means (although most people would want to add them in this case) They'll have to do something like that for there to be any chance at all of this getting through.

but then that stops unsigned bands giving away their music for free. unless you make the tag adding software freely available hence defeating the object of the tag in the first place.

The plan is impractical.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
but then that stops unsigned bands giving away their music for free. unless you make the tag adding software freely available hence defeating the object of the tag in the first place.

The plan is impractical.

Do you really think the government gives a shit about unsigned artists?

or practicality?

Last.fm
Quote by Lemoninfluence

The plan is impractical.

Exactly. Also free CD's in papers and such.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Do you really think the government gives a shit about unsigned artists?

or practicality?

they have to be concerned about the practicality of it.

if it costs more to implement than it'll save the economy in lost revenue due to copyright infringement, then they won't adopt it.

also, preventing bands from giving their music away for free would be a violation of their freedom of expression.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at May 31, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
they have to be concerned about the practicality of it.

if it costs more to implement than it'll save the economy in lost revenue due to copyright infringement, then they won't adopt it.

The thing is, it will be a relative pittance to major record labels and online distribution channels, and that's all the government cares about, because they bring in by far the most tax dollars.

and they don't really care about freedom of expression either, also what they would say is something along the lines of "you can give your music away for free, but if someone is caught with your mp3s then they may get fined, so you'd better not use mp3s as a means of distribution"

Last.fm
so NO ONE has an icepack I can have?

It really hurts over here.

but seriously though, this won't get passed. it is WAY too impractical.

EDIT: i think i've figured it out. convert your library to FLACs or OGG files!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

This is too much of a hassle to be implemented. Who the **** is going to check your mp3 player at an airport?
Page 1 of 2