#1
i'm helping a bass-player friend get better tone.. she has a crappy amp and naturally, tubes came to mind ( i know most current bass amps are SS, but then again i don't know much about bass) i do know the Bassman is highly sought after as a great guitar amp.. but is it good for bass ..?
we do all kinds of rock, and starting to try some slow-ish psychadelic tones (pretty heavy/intense, but not fast and with a respectable amount of effects).
I use a ceriatone DC30 clone which fits great .
#2
Look into some silverface bassmans. They can be had on the cheap.
Plus, aren't these supposed to be better bass amps than the BF era?

Also, on another note, how is the DC30?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
#3
I wouldn't spend that kind of money to use a Bassman for bass. I'd suggest you look into some old Ampeg or Traynor products. The Traynor YBA's, in particular, can still be found pretty cheap. You could probably find them as a head a little easier, and then you could connect them to proper bass speakers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
#4
you dont really need tubes for bass. although i used to use my old SF bassman for bass and it sounds great, sounds great for guitar too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
#5
i'm totally in love with the DC30.. got it hooked up with a 68' 2x12 cab with a red fang and a greenback.. great tone.
it's really really loud so the 15w option comes in handy.. and i found a NOS telefunken for the ef86 - buttery

anyways, i was thinking of getting a bassman from Ceriatone as well - they're not that pricey (the used ampegs or traynors aren't really an option, we're in Israel and i've never even seen one of those amps around.. )
plus, if she gets the Bassman there's the option for me to 'mooch' it off for a while for some fendery vibes
thanks for the input though.. i'll do some research
#6
I think the issue is that Bass players tend to prefer a bit more clean, so while you may see preamp being tube, the power amp being tube is rare. In fact, the reviews on YBA200 is poor, because it distorted – which, while as guitarist may like, may not be what the Bass players want.

Also, Bassman 5F6 is actually very bad as a bass amp, especially if she want a bit of a clean sound. It have two gain stage + a cathode follower, which will definitely gives it a more blusey distortion, and that could be something your friend may not like. Also, its cab is actually open back (bad for bass), and the original one is sad to have bad cab designs overall.

You can compare the design in Marshall's lead amp to its bass amp. lead amp tend to place as much preamps CF, while bass amps go with more preamps post tone, which encourage cleaner tones.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
#7
Quote by Nezek
i'm helping a bass-player friend get better tone.. t .


Before you get advice, you should probably explain exactly what you mean by better tone. What is lacking in it and what tonal characteristics does your bass playing friend want?

Tube bass amps tend to provide throaty midrange, but lack articulate lows (they get farty from tube clipping). which of those two (and other characteristics) does she want? tell us and we can tell you what would be best.--80% of bass players use solid state for a reason, and quite a few of the other 20% are just ampeg fanboys that want a classic style svt. I personally use a tube amp, YBA 200, but can certainly understand why most want a lot of completely clean headroom.
#8
well she does like some dirt.. she tried my 50w plexi with her bass (to the darker channel) and it did come out a bit dirty with the vol at ~5.. we liked it.
+ she's also using fuzz for some extra dirt actually.
and the ceriatone bassman comes in head form, i'm believe plugging it into a real bass cab will make it more suitable, no?

how about loudness though.. is the bassman's 50W loud enough for gigging with a bass ?
#9
Quote by Nezek
well she does like some dirt.. she tried my 50w plexi with her bass (to the darker channel) and it did come out a bit dirty with the vol at ~5.. we liked it.
+ she's also using fuzz for some extra dirt actually.
and the ceriatone bassman comes in head form, i'm believe plugging it into a real bass cab will make it more suitable, no?

how about loudness though.. is the bassman's 50W loud enough for gigging with a bass ?


It's loud enough to gig with, but it will have zero clean headroom, if she ever does want to roll down to cleans and still be heard over the drums and guitar she will be out of luck.
#10
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Before you get advice, you should probably explain exactly what you mean by better tone. What is lacking in it and what tonal characteristics does your bass playing friend want?

Tube bass amps tend to provide throaty midrange, but lack articulate lows (they get farty from tube clipping). which of those two (and other characteristics) does she want? tell us and we can tell you what would be best.--80% of bass players use solid state for a reason, and quite a few of the other 20% are just ampeg fanboys that want a classic style svt. I personally use a tube amp, YBA 200, but can certainly understand why most want a lot of completely clean headroom.


well she owns a practice amp atm, and at rehersals, the bass amp that's there..
the tone we want is from classic rock to some fuzzy-psyched bass licks, dirt is cool and she'll be doing quite a bit of 'lead' work so i guess emphasized midrange can be nice.
we don't tend to de-tune, never went further than drop-d.

edit: (u posted again.. ) allright, we'll consult.
i guess for versatility we need to check other options- thanks
#11
Well if she liked the Plexi, maybe a Marshall Superbass? Ceriatone sells a copy of them! The 1986 that is!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.



18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
#12
that's also an option, but i reckon the Marshall will have even less headroom than the Bassman so staying clean at gig volumes can still be an issue
#13
Actually the Marshall has more headroom... Plexis acutlaly have a lot of headroom!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.



18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009