I'm using a Fender Blues Jr, and in the last month or so it started to sound very trebbly and ratty when it's being overdriven. Even at lower volumes, I have this problem. I'll put up a sound clip in a moment so you can get the idea.

I thought it might be a tube problem so I swapped those, but it didn't fix anything.

Could it be a speaker problem?

Any ideas?

Edit: Mkay, I put up a sound demo in my profile. It doesn't really do it justice, because it seems like it's 20 times worse when I hear it from the amp instead of from computer speakers. Anyway, I hope it helps.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at May 31, 2008,
I keep the bass and mids at around 12 to 1:00 and the treble is always really low because of the trebly problem. In the audio, it was at 9:00 or so.
Try raising the bass and mids a lil to add meat. It might help to balance out the treble and make it less noticeable.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Eh, it's really really noticeable. I don't know, it doesn't sound warm or anything really. It's like a big treble attack. Thanks for the advice though.
That's really strange. I don't know what else to say, do you have any pedals running?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
my stock blues junior speaker couldnt handle higher volumes. it just rattled and buzzed. so i swapped the speaker for a weber.

also, one time a screw was loose so that made a bunch of vibrating noise.

so strum and press screws and the tube bracket (carefull hot). see if anything stops the buzz.

and then consider a new speaker if you cant find a loose part.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
my stock blues junior speaker couldnt handle higher volumes. it just rattled and buzzed. so i swapped the speaker for a weber.

also, one time a screw was loose so that made a bunch of vibrating noise.

so strum and press screws and the tube bracket (carefull hot). see if anything stops the buzz.

and then consider a new speaker if you cant find a loose part.

i'm confused. that seems to be a response to a different thread.

my laney has a bit of this harsh treblyness you're talking about, except that turning it up louder seems to smooth it out a bit. i don't really know what to suggest, but the twin reverb reissue at college is always really ratty sounding as well, if thats really very helpful (probably not, sadly )
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 31, 2008,
I think that clips sounds alright. I can tell that that clip has more treble than your other ones, though to me those other clips seems bassy and somewhat muddy. Maybe try an eq to cut treble and boost your mids and bass.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Blompcube
i'm confused. that seems to be a response to a different thread.

my laney has a bit of this harsh treblyness you're talking about, except that turning it up louder seems to smooth it out a bit. i don't really know what to suggest, but the twin reverb reissue at college is always really ratty sounding as well, if thats really very helpful (probably not, sadly )

no it's the right thread. the stock Bjr speaker cant handle the amp and a loose part can add to noises.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What do you have your reverb set at? Another issue is sometimes at high volumes it will shake the hell out of the metal plate and springs holding in the tubes. Might want to give that a check...