I went out and finally bought the VK, so now all you guys dont have to listen to me asking about amps for a while.

My question, what pedal should i get to go along with it to boost the overdrive?
I'm looking for something pretty heavey, maybe CoB if possible. But as heavy as possible i guess.

I was also looking into getting a noise gate, does anyone have suggestions for each?

I would guess my combined maximum budget would be about $200 US.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
i use a digitech metal master, it's like $90 USD
but i heard the ehx metal muff is decent it's like $130 USD

boss metal zone does good, it's i think $100 USD
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Tube Screamer or Marshall Blues Breaker (has boost feature). Reason being is that using a hi gain distortion pedal such as Boss Metal Zone, MXR, EH, etc will cause the amp's over drive channel to get muddy and sound like crap. Seriously man. Those distortion stomp boxes are only good on the clean channel. The gain is toooooo much on OD. By using a tube screamer, set you amp channel gain down to around 12 and use the stomp boxes gain as a pre-amp. By doing so, your tone will not trail off. It will actually tighten the sound and make it thicker and bigger. Try it.
Quote by mwalluk
Tube Screamer or Marshall Blues Breaker (has boost feature). Reason being is that using a hi gain distortion pedal such as Boss Metal Zone, MXR, EH, etc will cause the amp's over drive channel to get muddy and sound like crap. Seriously man. Those distortion stomp boxes are only good on the clean channel. The gain is toooooo much on OD. By using a tube screamer, set you amp channel gain down to around 12 and use the stomp boxes gain as a pre-amp. By doing so, your tone will not trail off. It will actually tighten the sound and make it thicker and bigger. Try it.

Alright, i knew an OD pedal would be better than a distortion pedal. But just how heavy will it get me?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Try to find a used Maxon OD 808 or 9 on eBay. That'd be perfect for you.

As for the noise gate, ISP Decimator pedal if you can fit it otherwise get the Boss NS-2.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Try to find a used Maxon OD 808 or 9 on eBay. That'd be perfect for you.

As for the noise gate, ISP Decimator pedal if you can fit it otherwise get the Boss NS-2.

So the Maxon could it boost it that far?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by MakeItWitChu
So the Maxon could it boost it that far?

Yep the Maxon is a very popular OD, and works very well. It should push your VK into the heavy territory you want it. It tightens up amps higher gain than the VK very well too.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
How heavy you ask? Well I play through a Marshall. As you know Marshall's will not give you a heavy tone. PLain as that. They are great for Modern rock. I can take a Slash style tone and turn it in to a Tremonti style. Think GNR turn into Alter Bridge. Try the Turbo Tube Screamer. I actually used to own a VK. You might want to think about switching out the tubes. The stock tubes suck. So does the speakers. I through in some JJ's, some Celestions vintage 30s and had a tech place a mod into. The first two are necessary! By placing better tubes, you can get more high gain. Check out Eurotubes.com
Valvekings love Bad Monkeys and is what i would suggest unless your gigging...

Isp decimator is one of the best noise supressors on the market so i would go with it....

Which in fact its the exact setup i have for my Valveking lol

And it would benefit from a tube and speaker swap.

Also you want to set your OD to level 10 Gain 0

And theres a bunch of quirks about that amp, if you want to know about them hit me up in pm...
I've heard a VK with just the built in gain boost on get some pretty heavy metal tones.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I've heard a VK with just the built in gain boost on get some pretty heavy metal tones.

Its pretty heavy, i can get a really good Iron Maiden tone. And it can hit Metallica too, but i havent been able to experiment very long.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
It is supposed to be very good for thrash. TS9, Maxon OD, Bad Monkey, any of those should be fine. Maybe get the Bad Monkey and put the rest towards a speaker and tube swap.
A tubescreamer would work. But actually, an EQ in the FX loop make it sound heavier, tighter, and just plain better. I don't even use the od very often (too much noise, need a noise gate).
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
mwalluk - alterbridge is heavy??

did I miss a re-definition of heavy recently?

And Marshalls can't get heavy? Ever played a JVM?
+1 from me for a re-tube and an EQ.

A quad of 6l6's from eurotubes ($68) + an mxr 10 band eq ($120) would fit your budget easily.
OK, so i have a new question, what tubes would be best to swap out with if i wanted the high gain?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
JJ's go to eurotubes.com tell em what you want and they'll personally match you the best tubes.
Your Valve King 100 uses a quad of 6L6's and three 12AX7's so I would go with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and since you're after a heavy high gain style I would use three of the graded high gain JJ ECC83S's. The high gain tubes will still clean up very well. These amps use a short tail phase inverter circuit so no need for a balanced tube and the current output for the V3 tube does not seem to matter like it does in the Classic series Peavey amps. These will fatten up the drive channel and get maximum gain but they will not hurt the clean channel. The amp has a class adjustment knob which varies the bias a bit so just going with a warmer grade for the power tubes will be plug and play.

A full retube with a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's and three high gain ECC83S's would run 102.50 and we can ship them for 9.50 by Priority mail with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

So these amps are what they are which is a cheaply made chinese amp and the clean tone will not get the warmth that the Classic series amps will. That said, they are not bad considering the price and a tube change will get some improvement including a bit more warmth and definition. The high gain stuff should also take you in a good direction.

If you decide to place an order you can do so online ( http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-order.htm ). This is a Comodo certified secure system, but please don't feel obligated to order online you are always welcome to just give us a call at 503-659-7401 during business hours which are from 9AM to 6PM west coast time to place an order personally. You can also place an order by FAX at 503-659-7385. All that's necessary is your shipping address and a VISA, MC, Discover or American Express number including the expiration date. If you decide to order by phone during business hours and you get our voice mail, leave a number and we will call you back!
Your Valve King 100 uses a quad of 6L6's and three 12AX7's so I would go with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and since you're after a heavy high gain style I would use three of the graded high gain JJ ECC83S's. The high gain tubes will still clean up very well. These amps use a short tail phase inverter circuit so no need for a balanced tube and the current output for the V3 tube does not seem to matter like it does in the Classic series Peavey amps. These will fatten up the drive channel and get maximum gain but they will not hurt the clean channel. The amp has a class adjustment knob which varies the bias a bit so just going with a warmer grade for the power tubes will be plug and play.

A full retube with a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's and three high gain ECC83S's would run 102.50 and we can ship them for 9.50 by Priority mail with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

So these amps are what they are which is a cheaply made chinese amp and the clean tone will not get the warmth that the Classic series amps will. That said, they are not bad considering the price and a tube change will get some improvement including a bit more warmth and definition. The high gain stuff should also take you in a good direction.

If you decide to place an order you can do so online ( http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-order.htm ). This is a Comodo certified secure system, but please don't feel obligated to order online you are always welcome to just give us a call at 503-659-7401 during business hours which are from 9AM to 6PM west coast time to place an order personally. You can also place an order by FAX at 503-659-7385. All that's necessary is your shipping address and a VISA, MC, Discover or American Express number including the expiration date. If you decide to order by phone during business hours and you get our voice mail, leave a number and we will call you back!
Quote by mwalluk
JJ's go to eurotubes.com tell em what you want and they'll personally match you the best tubes.

I'm on eurotubes, i cant find exactly what you're talking about, and the valvekings arent included in the full retubing section.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by mwalluk

Question, where is this from?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
You have to e-mail the guy. That's what I did. That's his exact response. Tell em what you wnat and he'll help you out.
Quote by mwalluk
You have to e-mail the guy. That's what I did. That's his exact response. Tell em what you wnat and he'll help you out.

Alright, sweet. Thanks man.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by mwalluk
No problem. Any other questions, hit me up with a PM.

Got it, will do.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX