Well a few years ago I used to listen to mainly metal/power metal and stuff like that. I since have moved on to different genres of music and listen to very little metal at all.

My problem is that my stepfather has a tendency to listen to what me and my siblings listen to, past the pont when we stop liking them. So he listens to a bunch of bands that me and my older sister don't like anymore. I don't know if he really actually enjoys the music or if he is just trying to gain our affection, because he constantly listens to nearly every band we used to listen to. It's like I have moved on to different genres, but I have a metalhead step-dad.

He also doesn't have much sense either. For example, he drives my 7-year old sister to dance lessons, and she always asks me why he listens to really heavy music on the way. It gets to the point that I resent being in a car with him because he always puts on metal, which I don't like anymore. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but how do I tell him that I don't like that music anymore?

I prefer to be honest and frank, but I really don't know how to approach this situation.

Help?
start listening to yodeling and wait for him to like it
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
If he's pretending to like it, ask him to stop listening to it. If he genuinely likes metal, you can only ask him to not listen to it around you and your sisters.
He's probably just trying to get along well with you, as any caring step-dad would with his new 'kids'. Just put up with it for now, but just find other ways to connect with him, spend time with him, have fun with him and maybe he wont feel the need to try and gain your respect in this way.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
"wna listen to something else?"
or when ur in the car
"do u mind if i put my own cd on?"
gradual change is the answer
Ask if you can put something else on, if the answer is no, whip out the iPod.
Okay, what I would do is, first check to make sure he's just listening to it because you did.

Go with the classic, listen to something terrible (perhaps some rap?) and get him into it. If he doesn't turn to it like you pretended to, its obvious he just likes metal by nature. If he just likes it because he thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread, tell him that there is such thing as a happy medium. Tell him that you can like something, but that there is no need to be obsessed with it, we don't need people who are addicted to metal, like junkies are to heroin (though that would be interesting).

If he just likes it because you do, you've now got a problem with an Eminem obsessed stepdad. Show him various types of music, show him there's more to music than the heavy stuff.

Sorry if this is no help, I know it would have worked for me.
Quote by andyd93
He's probably just trying to get along well with you, as any caring step-dad would with his new 'kids'. Just put up with it for now, but just find other ways to connect with him, spend time with him, have fun with him and maybe he wont feel the need to try and gain your respect in this way.

I agree with this.
Perhaps he actually does genuinely like it? If you think he's not, then ask if you can put one of your CDs on in the car, and just do little things like that to try to get him to notice that you like other stuff now.
Just get inside the car and ask him if he would like to listen to some of your new music.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Give him an Avenged Sevenfold CD. If he seems to enjoy listening to it, he has to be faking. Then punch him in the face.
Peepee on yo tittays
Quote by fob12
Ask if you can put something else on, if the answer is no, whip out the iPod.

Exactly. It's gotten to the point with most of my family that I don't even ask anymore and skip straight to the iPod.
lol, my dad listens to heavy metal stuff...he got me into some light metal...then when i was in grade 7 i went total deathcore metalcore screamo he doesnt entirely enjoy it lol
Next time you're in the car ane he puts on some metal:

"Hey, *name of stepdad*, do you mind if we listen to something else? I've got this CD by *name of band you like now* and I like it a whole lot, so can we listen to it?"
kill all humans