I was thinking today. All you see are 6 string guitars. You hardly see anybody who owns a 7-string guitar, but I'd presume 7-strings have better chance for new sounds and stuff as they have more strings etc.

So why are 7-strings not very popular at all?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
The 7th string costs extra? Not suitable for anything other than metal/jazz/shred?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
They'd make some fantastic solos!

That's why I wondered why nobody uses them!
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
No no, I'm not saying they're useless, quite the contrary, I'm GASing for one right now. The thing is that in the music world of today, most people are happy with a 6 string in E standard.

Quote by Eric 666
Because people dont want to deal with a low B-string? or a high A?

I've yet to see a production 7 with a high A as opposed to the low B... I'm willing to be proved wrong
Quote by webbtje
No no, I'm not saying they're useless, quite the contrary, I'm GASing for one right now. The thing is that in the music world of today, most people are happy with a 6 string in E standard.

I've yet to see a production 7 with a high A as opposed to the low B... I'm willing to be proved wrong

I played a C7 Hellraiser that was tuned EADGBEA at Guitar Center, needless to say it bothered the **** out of me.
^That's ****ing ridiculous a Hellraiser has a 26.5 inch scale, so as much as that being Anything of a good idea, I have to call shinanigans on the idiot who thought that out when tuning it. 7's are great guitars and I totally recommend them to anybody who's interested in them. They have a use for any genre so stereotyping them to so few is just stupid, it's just More notes! Nothing else, you can still play all the other stuff with the standard 6, it just increases your range for adding different voices on chordes and making the guitar sound bigger. What 7 are you GASing over right now webbtje?
Since I'm a cheapskate, the Ibanez RG7321, but I'd love to get my hands on the Ibanez S7320, as I adore the ZR trem.

I'd also be tuning it in a funky way, because I'm awesome like that.
Fear.

After a day or two on a seven, you're pretty much used to the added string. You can always ignore the low B and treat it like a normal 6 string. Most people just don't try it.
My band - DEADIRON
Playstyle - Rock / Metal / Hardcore / Punk
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-o-Verb
Quote by DoctorM
Fear.

After a day or two on a seven, you're pretty much used to the added string. You can always ignore the low B and treat it like a normal 6 string. Most people just don't try it.

yea

ive never tried one, but i feel that i would not be able to use it effectively.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
Some people need extra low notes as well as high notes, some people dont......it's all a matter of the music and what type of player they are.
I've recently caught the seven string bug. I've been playing tuned down metal stuff with my band and I really miss the high notes and string tension. So I figured instead of stuffing around with changing tunings everytime I wanna play a different style I'd just get a seven.

I've ordered the Ibanez RG1527 from my local music store. It has an amazing feeling neck. I was originally going for the universe but minus the pickups the RG is essentially the same axe and less than half the price.

I also had a noodle on the S7 but it felt a bit crappier than the RG to me (no offence to any S owners) - have to admit it looks badass though.

They also had the Schecter Jeff Loomis which was pretty mint but way over priced. Might look at ordering one over the net a little later in the piece.
IMO, 7 string are going to get boring and get all played out after a while becuase weekend warriors think that they are so special becuase they have an extra string and think that they are all Loomis.

This doesn't go out to the people that actually can do things with a 7 string, BTW.

To TS... new sound?you are adding is an extra string? you call that a new song?

so what you are saying is that a 6 string guitars are old school or something?

I don't know becuase 7 strings are very old now becuase 12 string guitars are in now.

...soon enough people we are going to have friggin harp for a guitar.I'm sticking with my 6 string becuase if you are good or bad on the guitar... adding an extra string is not going to change anything.
Last edited by Graveworm at Jun 1, 2008,
I tried a 7-string Xiphos a couple of weeks ago, it was awesome.

If I had the 1400 bucks, I'd get it.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
The only thing that would stop me from getting one is the fact that having that extra string is feels really weird.
Quote by webbtje
I'd also be tuning it in a funky way, because I'm awesome like that.

You mean Devy style? Or just very, very low?

The only reason I haven't tried a 7-string is because I haven't seen one in real life. EVER. I am very annoyed by this situation. At the same time I don't want to go out a spend all that money on a new guitar without knowing if I'll be comfortable with the extra string and therefore width on the fretboard. I am still annoyed by this situation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
my guitar teacher let me play on his 7 string for like 10 minutes

it takes a while to get used to, i keep mistaking the low b for a low e and that was my main problem.

i also heard that the high a string on a 7 string guitar is prone to breaking
Quote by MRavioli
my guitar teacher let me play on his 7 string for like 10 minutes

it takes a while to get used to, i keep mistaking the low b for a low e and that was my main problem.

i also heard that the high a string on a 7 string guitar is prone to breaking

Personally I've never heard of anyone using a 7 string with a high A at all...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ugh, i can't wait to get my hands on my rg1527!! just 3 more weeks till school is over.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I would like to get a 7-string one day, I like the extra low-end you can get from one. I was also looking at the more recent 8-string Ibanez released. Looks like fun.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
7 strings can do baritone power chords

but can do normal power chords at the same time

god If I had some extra money I'd buy me one

I played the ibanez S series 7 string at sam ash for the first time and I fell in love.
I don't even shred
I'd say their good if you want to write or own stuff, and like B standard or A Standard, Drop A, etc.

Or if you want to play some 7-stringer bands' music, which there arent many.

ORR... 8 strings *cough* MESHUGGAH!!!

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Graveworm

...soon enough people we are going to have friggin harp for a guitar.I'm sticking with my 6 string becuase if you are good or bad on the guitar... adding an extra string is not going to change anything.

Lord, why do I get the feeling you've ever so slightly missed the fucking point of a 7 string.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You mean Devy style? Or just very, very low?

Yar, Devy style, but another half step down, so

D#
B
F#
B
F#
B
F#

Quote by Nebjy
7 strings can do baritone power chords

but can do normal power chords at the same time

What the hell are you talking about?
Quote by webbtje
Yar, Devy style, but another half step down, so

D#
B
F#
B
F#
B
F#

That is totally made of win!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Its not so much that the instrument isn't really popular, but for most, I think it ends up being a medium for figuring out what you need in a guitar.

I think a good percentage of people who try 7, end up going baritone 6 because after trying it and getting into tuning low, they discover they don't really need the extra high string.

Personally, if I write something on one of my 6-strings and find I can transpose parts to the 7-string to add depth, thats when I absolutely love having it around. Clean, high string arpeggios with distorted low string goodness.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I use my seven a lot, and the low B string doesn't get in the way unless I'm playing some really thrashy stuff on the E string. Other than that it's awesome, a little hard to EQ at times maybe.

I'd love to have a 7-string guitar with 3 singlecoils, so I could get the 7 into more rock-oriented stuff. But a production line 7 like that is pretty much unthinkable, and even finding a 7-string single coil pickup is hard as it is. So the 7 is still primarily a metal thing, but it shouldn't have to be.

MUCC is a rockish band that uses 7-strings, listen to Saishuu Ressha for example.
Actually, the first song I wrote on the first 7-string I owned was a punk song believe it or not. The rhythm guitar player in my band played the same part I did on his 6 just an octave higher. It was freakin' awesome

The 7-string is what you make it
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"