i have a old squier i got from my cousin. i am looking to sand off the paint and repaint it. wat kind o paint should i get and i am also scalloping frets 18-21. how would i scallop the frets
Quote by TomGates
i have a old squier i got from my cousin. i am looking to sand off the paint and repaint it. wat kind o paint should i get and i am also scalloping frets 18-21. how would i scallop the frets

I used krylon spray paint, the regular indoor/outdoor kind. Then you want to use lacquer clear coat which will harden and protect.

Check out the ULTIMATE Painting refinishing thread pinned to the top of the page. There are lots of tutorials.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
The best paint, as I'm sure will be advised by everyone else is nitrocellulose lacquer. This can be bought from a range of places, most likely to be found in spray shops as liquid paint (or you can get them to can it for you if you're not bless with a compressor).

However, it's not the cheapest paint, and if you're on a budget you can get good results from using acrylic lacquer, but I would advise a nitrocellulose clear coat to finish.

It really is worth spending the extra and using nitro paint, they let the wood 'breath' and most people would agree, this ultimatley makes the guitar sound better.

If you need a how to step by step guide then you're sure to find loads on UG, if you want a personalised one, feel free to get in contact and I'll take you through it.

Onto scalloping. Good idea, it does make the rather numb squier neck more playable, I did mine on all frets. Best tool to use is a thimble sander which if you're lucky you'll have in the garage, if not you could probably find one in school/college/university. But on the higher frets you have to be very carfull so as not to go through the frets themselves. Alot of people (myself included) will use a fine rat tail file or indeed sandpaper wrapped around some small and round like a pencil or rod. When doing this make sure you double mask off the metal frets to provide protection to them.

Anyway, as I say, feel free to get in contact if you need more advice.

Cheers,
- Rich
Quote by Dookie_1988
The best paint, as I'm sure will be advised by everyone else is nitrocellulose lacquer.

If you need a how to step by step guide then you're sure to find loads on UG, if you want a personalised one, feel free to get in contact and I'll take you through it.

Anyway, as I say, feel free to get in contact if you need more advice.

Cheers,
- Rich

Holy Mary mother of god!

Welcome back!!! Where have you been?

Dookie_1988 was one of those who inspired me to start modding.

Awww you're so sweet lol.

I've been having a hiatus some could say.

As a matter of fact I was worried no one would remember me as it's been so long. :S

I'm going to be uploading some pictures soon as my old strat has taken another turn, and is now... well... two strats. Only spent £900 on one of them including some BKPs... Yes I know, I know, you're jealous...

Anyway, shouldn't hijack this poor bloke's thread with a reunion lol.

- Rich