I need some help! i need a metal amp but one that has good cleans. I live in australia so everyhting is really expensive here. Im buying off ebay.

There is a rivera 4x12 cab with 4x V30's (its 6 years old) for $500 that im thinking baout getting.

(note - Marshall jcm900 lead cabs with the GT speaker go for $500 - $650)

Now a head!

There is a engl fireball for $1500 start bid (plus $100 for shipping so $1600)
And there is a 5150 series 1 EVH head for $1200

Mesa boogie duel rectos are about $2200 second hand on ebay..

help me out! what do i do! cheers!
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Thats actually a pretty damn good price for a 4x12 cab with V30's. Rivera makes really quality ****, too.

I'd take the Fireball over the Recto anyday.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
i'd say the 5150 is the best buy, but it wont give you the cleans you're looking for.
the fireball will though.
i guess it depends what kind of clean you want.

but no doubt the 5150 will give you the best overdrive out of those.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by rwalby9
Thats actually a pretty damn good price for a 4x12 cab with V30's. Rivera makes really quality ****, too.

I'd take the Fireball over the Recto anyday.

remember he is in australia

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
there is a hughes and kettner triology head for $1700
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
remember he is in australia

Your point? I made my post from the stuff the TS just listed. $500 would be dirt cheap for a 4x12 Rivera cab even in the US.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Only issue i can see with the fireball is more of a lead type of amp, so most prefer the powerball. Unless your a lead guitarist lol

And thumbs up for the Rivera cab

The 5150 is a nice amp and does have nice cleans if you like metallica fade to black style of cleans. If your looking for fender cleans then its not the amp for you.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 31, 2008,
i want a nice chug - ie as blood runs black, diablo, killswitch
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface

Ok and are you a lead or rhythm guitarist and another question is are you playing in a band?

Nothing against Engls but they tend to not have good cut through and like to blend in if you have another guitarist. Best amp for cut through is going to be the 5150.
I was in a band, and now im looking, i have done gigs befor and will be in the future. It depends on rythem or lead...
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
I was in a band, and now im looking, i have done gigs befor and will be in the future. It depends on rythem or lead...

Honestly i would go with the 5150 is can do both rhythm or lead, has great cut through and does the bands you mentioned well. Also the cleans are decent and with a nice chorus pedal they really clean up nice. And you save 300 bucks...
Taking your price range into account, have a look at a Laney GH50L. I've seen them for about $1400 new here, haven't played one yet, but I'm looking at it as a next amp. Reviews seem to be pretty positive, nice cleans, usable gain all the way up to metal level.

Dunno if you'd get one off eBay or not, but if you have a look in your local stores and find a Laney dealer, you should try one out.
Quote by snot_foster25
Taking your price range into account, have a look at a Laney GH50L. I've seen them for about $1400 new here, haven't played one yet, but I'm looking at it as a next amp. Reviews seem to be pretty positive, nice cleans, usable gain all the way up to metal level.

Dunno if you'd get one off eBay or not, but if you have a look in your local stores and find a Laney dealer, you should try one out.

Only issues with the Laney's is anytime i hear anything about that model is they breakdown alot.. Also tone wise that is a marshall on steriods so either you like marshall tone or you hate marshall tone...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Only issues with the Laney's is anytime i hear anything about that model is they breakdown alot.. Also tone wise that is a marshall on steriods so either you like marshall tone or you hate marshall tone...

I read somewhere on here that 5150's were based off a Marshall voicing.
Although, that point is pretty moot, because 5150's aren't really British sounding haha.
Quote by rwalby9
Your point? I made my post from the stuff the TS just listed. $500 would be dirt cheap for a 4x12 Rivera cab even in the US.

the money has different values

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by gface

I was at an ABRB show last Thursday and one of the guitarists (fat dude) was using a 5150 with his knobs off (guess he wants his setting right where they are). So that should tell you what you're looking for. And in the studio Killswitch mixes a 6505 with a Framus Cobra or Dragon, I can't for the life of my remember. Basically, I think you know what to buy now.
bump
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by maggot2011
I was at an ABRB show last Thursday and one of the guitarists (fat dude) was using a 5150 with his knobs off (guess he wants his setting right where they are). So that should tell you what you're looking for. And in the studio Killswitch mixes a 6505 with a Framus Cobra or Dragon, I can't for the life of my remember. Basically, I think you know what to buy now.

i believe killswitch use mesa dual/tripple recs for everytihng if im not mistaken

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
ABRB uses 6505's (obviously same as 5150's).
so if you're going for something along those lines
definitely the 5150.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
i believe killswitch use mesa dual/tripple recs for everytihng if im not mistaken

I think that's live. I've heard a lot of people here say they mix a ridiculous amount of amps for tone and the two main ones are a Framus Cobra and a 6505... if I'm not mistaken.
Where is the $1200 5150 ?
It's so mine, only if you don't want it that is.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Killswitch is using a Splawn (nitro?) and a Framus Cobra live.

That is a recent change.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Killswitch is using a Splawn (nitro?) and a Framus Cobra live.

That is a recent change.

When I saw them back in December, for some reason they only had the Cobras out.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
When I saw them back in December, for some reason they only had the Cobras out.

They didn't have their Splawns then. They just recently got them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
They use a Soldano in the studio as well.

I'd go for the 5150 if I were you, it can easily handle the stuff you want.
Quote by maggot2011
I think that's live. I've heard a lot of people here say they mix a ridiculous amount of amps for tone and the two main ones are a Framus Cobra and a 6505... if I'm not mistaken.

i know the used mesa live ive seen them a few times but i was under the impression they used mesa in sudio too. oh well i wasnt sure thanks for clearing it up

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
The Fireball blows the 5150 out of the water.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by mohawkkidJohn

KsE have used all sorts of stuff in the studio, I think the first album was 6505/5150s, End of Heartache was Mesas and the most recent one used all sorts of stuff but I'm pretty sure Joel, at least, uses the Framus heads live.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.