As I’ve noted in recent posts I have a case of tendonitis and I am taking a week or so off to recover. In my time off I will be extensively studying theory. I’ve also decided to take the time to re-evaluate myself as a musician and as a guitarist. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I’ve been playing for about 6 six years though only about 2 seriously. To be honest as I was playing I never entertained the notion of learning theory. My technique suffered as well as I never learned the “proper” way to fret things. The question I seem to have most often is “what fingers do I use?” I apologize. this question will no doubt pop up again in the future.

That being said I’m still pretty good
. My heart is in grunge music and I pretty much know the Nirvana catalogue by heart. I can play a lot of Alice in Chains. I can play pretty much any simple song by ear. I’m also proficient in improvising, though up until now, I couldn’t tell you what I was playing, I only knew it sounded good.
As a musician I hate limiting myself to genres. I make music I want to make that’s it. My influences range from to Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails, to The Cure, The Deftones, and Tool. I can play pretty much any song from these bands. Here’s what caused me to change:

As I was searching for different genres to incorporate into my playing I stumbled upon Melodic Death, specifically the Gothenburg sound. It is by far the most amazing show of musicianship I’ve heard up to this point and I knew I wanted to throw some melodeath techniques in my own songs.

I’ve tried but I just can’t get it. They simply play too fast and too complex for me and I couldn’t keep up. All these techniques like sweep picking, alternate picking, legato, and string skipping are too much for me to handle.
So I’ve decided to forget everything I know and start completely over. I want to know theory and I want to know proper technique. This is the only way I’ll be able to learn how to incorporate melodeath into some of my songs. It will also make me a MUCH better musician.

I’m making a lot of progress. I have all you guys to thank for that. I can’t thank you enough. To anyone who has taken the time to help me progress you have my respect and my gratitude. It is my hope that when I get really good. I’ll be able to come back to these boards and return the favor.
As of now I’m working on proper technique. I’m memorizing the notes on the fretboard and learning scales and chord construction.

I am a little worried. I’m 22 and I feel I’m a little “late to the game” so to speak. My ultimate goal would be to be able to hang with someone like Alexi Laiho or Omar Rodriguez Lopez.
So if I learn theory….stay committed and practice 2-3 hours a day. I should be able to that shouldn’t I? I mean I’ve got a lot down already and I have “the ear” I think.

If you could offer any critique, encouragement, or advice, or simply want to let me know if I’m on the right track. I would be forever indebted.
Last edited by yearzero at May 31, 2008,
Well learning theory is by all means useful. I think something else you should do is investigate a lot of styles of music. Like I never really listened to Hendrix much before (I know, moral sin). But today I got a torrent of all his stuff and just went head over heels into it and am stealing a lot of his blues ideas and stuff. And I've started listening to san francisco psychadelic rock and am learning things from that.

I think just listening to everything ((including jazz and classical)) is one of the best ways to advance as a musician. That and practicing your butt off.
The same thing happened to me a couple months ago, I had tendionidos or how ever you spell it and decided to learn theroy while I couldnt play and I have seem some improvement in my playing. but if you have tendionidous you really shouldnt be typing that much....
Good to you my friend. Too many times I've seen guys just going on bullishly without looking at their playing. Fortunately you have decided to analyze your technique. Your on your way towards being a great player because of your evaluations, so just keep criticizing yourself. Always compare yourself to better players and look at what makes them better. Emulate, innovate and have fun.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
If you haven't already, check out "Principles of Correct Practice For Guitar" and
"Beyond the Basic Practice Approach" at www.guitarprinciples.com. That will really
help give you some insight on how to improve your practice. Practice Skill is
really about the most important skill you can learn. A lot follows from that.
Quote by therealtater
The same thing happened to me a couple months ago, I had tendionidos or how ever you spell it and decided to learn theroy while I couldnt play and I have seem some improvement in my playing. but if you have tendionidous you really shouldnt be typing that much....

I know I should cut down on the typing. I type for a living though so I'm used to it. I'm also wearing a brace and I'm using an ergonomic keyboard.

Typing this was just something I had to do for myself.