Today i got a new distortion pedal its a Boss Mega Distortion.

Basically, my problems is that it has so much static and excess sound, for example, when i am not playing any strings, there is this huge, ugly, annoying static sound.

How can i get rid of this, and still retain the distortion that it gives? or is this normal for distortion.

My Setup is:
Guitar->Boss Mega Distortion->Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah->Korg Toneworks AX300g->Amp

Im not quite sure of how to use the mega distortion settings, so any recommendations? Also, if it matters, im using about 6 Gain on my actual amp, and a US modern amp setting on the AX3000G with 5.0 gain.

Help would be appreciated!
this is a characteristic of most distortion pedals- unfortunately, they just buzz. the way people usually remedy it is with a noise gate like the ISP decimator, or just live with it like i do
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you are adding distortion from 2 pedals AND the amp, you're gonna get massive feedback. Even a noise gate might not be able to handle all that, I'm not sure.

Typically you wanna use a distortion pedal on the cleanest channel you can.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
yea i kinda figured that i have enugh distortion, but for some reason, if i dont use the distortion on the amp, then the tone is just not quite the same
The MD-2 right? i got one for free, set the first three dials all at 12 oclock and the boost at zero, solved it for me, but i just got a Big Muff, the MD-2, isn't one of Boss' finest, but it does the job if its all you have...i barely use mine anymore, does the job if maybe your chugging power chords, but sounds awful on alot of stuff

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at May 31, 2008,
just to let you know, i have a korg toneworks pedal but the ax3 on or what ever. it gives off ALOT of noise with other pedals for some stupid reason, take it out and tell me if its still doing it. also might want to re do your chain of pedals, dont as kem im not the expert.
Ok i have a new problem i just messed with the setup a little and for some reason a loud like screeching humming sound came out and i realized the positioning of my guitar like face front to my amp did, anyways now my amp has like much more distortion than ever and then on the clean setting the volume goes like out of control, i didn't blow it did i?
What kind of guitar are you using?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thats why you're buzzing. Single coil pickups buzz no matter what. You need to shield your guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by t3h anarchist
Ok i have a new problem i just messed with the setup a little and for some reason a loud like screeching humming sound came out and i realized the positioning of my guitar like face front to my amp did, anyways now my amp has like much more distortion than ever and then on the clean setting the volume goes like out of control, i didn't blow it did i?

I will tell you this not all amps like pedals..... Honestly i would just save up and get you a nice amp that sounds good wiht out the pedals..
Quote by t3h anarchist
um it worked before it just blew out like 2 minutes ago

Thats doesnt mean anything, i can own a amp for ten years and it just blow out. Try it without any pedals and see if it works...
A single coil guitar going thru 2 distortion pedals into the distortion channel on your amp. Yea that will generate alot of hiss. Decide which distortion you want to use and run it thru the clean channel. Each pedal will add a little noise, 1 pedal a little noise, 2 pedals more noise etc. But only so much you can do with the pickup hum. Maybe your multifx has some sort of noise reduction.