So i was patrolling my local paper when i see that a guy has a Fender Jazz Bass for sale for $175. After saying that he couldn't find any markings to prove where it was made. So no serial number or anything. He sent me some pics but i can't tell anything, i was hoping you lovely people could help me out here. If by some awesome twist of fate this is a MIA i am totally jumping all over this thing.

Here are some pics:

I know there's not much to work with, but if there's some way of telling where the bass is made besides having it written on the headstock or looking at the serial number i would like to know. thanks.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Is it a fender in the first place. I cant read the headstock.

If you can try it out and it feels good, then why not get it anyway for $175. I bet you could bargin it down to ~$130ish.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Ledhead82048
Failure by headstock. Doesn't look like a Fender headstock.

He's right.

I don't think I've seen a headstock like that on any Fender.

there are those that are made in mexico and they've been known to exhibit unusual styles compared to their american counterparts.

But I can't say for sure.
the headstock looks like a Jay Turser jazz copy. it's probably worth $100 or so.
all Fenders have a serial number, unless it's stolen, or a forgery. lol
body wood/finish looks really good tho...

ask him for the brand name. but it looks like it is worth it, IMHO
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
There's a reason he didn't show you the headstock...

I wouldn't buy it. But that's just me.
The.
I have not personally seen the bass, but i am going to try it out on Monday. The guy told me on the phone that it was Fender, but maybe he's just trying to doop me. He's already lowered his price from 250 to 175 though. thanks for the help, i'll have to investigate this whole "not fender" thing.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the headstock looks like a Jay Turser jazz copy. it's probably worth $100 or so.
all Fenders have a serial number, unless it's stolen, or a forgery. lol

I'm not sure about the Jay Turser thing, but I'm totally with our resident elder on the serial number thing. Especially since you don't know this dude... I'd try to bargain it down to $100 if I were you. Use one of those "not born yesterday" expressions, and be like "You'd be lucky if I gave you $80 for that thing!" Gauge your reaction from that.

Never trust that which is not serial numbered.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
I'm not sure about the Jay Turser thing, but I'm totally with our resident elder on the serial number thing. Especially since you don't know this dude... I'd try to bargain it down to $100 if I were you. Use one of those "not born yesterday" expressions, and be like "You'd be lucky if I gave you $80 for that thing!" Gauge your reaction from that.

Never trust that which is not serial numbered.

Live by this
the headstock reminds me of a palmer j bass copy
solid bass IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Wrong neck and pickguard screws to be a fender. did he say fender-style?
looks like someone has taken a copy of a j bass and put the fender logo on the headstock, which isn't even the correct shape
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp