I have a Schecter Damein 6 (EMG h4/h4a)

And a crate flexwave 120w cab and head.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get that REALLY heavy pantera sound from my specs, what amp settings, or accessories will help (preamp/pedal.)

thanks
Wait, people actually want that tone?

Anyways, I'm thinking lots of treble use the bridge position on your guitar and roll off the tone some.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Uber metal pedal, Pulverize setting... Pantera in a box.... Cheapest route

Barring a new amp, this is the correct suggestion.
Low mids, high treble. Lots of gain.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Scoop the hell out of your mids. Lots of high and presence. Massive amounts of gain, and get a noise gate.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Kevin Saale
Wait, people actually want that tone?

Anyways, I'm thinking lots of treble use the bridge position on your guitar and roll off the tone some.

Yeah people actually want that tone Pantera is a kick ass band, but as far as the tone question idk
^1 Noise gate is essential to make it sound good. You can better tones than Pantera with a noise gate and some tweaking from your rough estamate of what the Dimebag tone would be to you. So it'll be like Pantera, but more real.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
^1 Noise gate is essential to make it sound good. You can better tones than Pantera with a noise gate and some tweaking from your rough estamate of what the Dimebag tone would be to you. So it'll be like Pantera, but more real.

What the hell is a noise gate, and how much do they run for.
Quote by therealtater
^ a noise gate blocks un wanted noise (feedback) but idk how much they run for

There are cheaper noise gates that run about 90 USD, then some really good ones like the ISP Decimator which is a good deal more expensive.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Dime didn't use that much gain, actually.

Dime used a ton of gain... High output pickups, mxr 6 band eq boosting the mids for more gain and had to run two noise gates just to keep the feed back under control (with a sound tech constantly adjusting them while he was running around on stage because his position in refrence to the amps and cabs would throw everything off). And in his later years added a Zakk Wylde OD on top of all of that... Dime used gain and a lot of it... Hell everything about his rig was gain...
If you want the genuine pantera sound you're gonna have to go with a BOSS Metalcore

dime uses incredibly heavy distortion.

You also wanna make sure you get the right amount of amp gain.
Quote by Dream Pin
Please don't encourage the kid to scoop his mids.
Please?

I agree. There's two many bands that scoop the mids. And I hate the phrase 'scoop the mids' as well, its sounds like bloody ice-cream! You can reach way cooler sounds by adding more midrange and crunch. Plenty of bass and midrange with treble on about 5 to 7 and your away. Thats my ideal sound. Not everyone's taste though.
Dime actually had quite a bit of mids in his rig and the reason he scooped them on the amp was because he had a 6 band eq with the super mid hump to push his amps gain higher. So due to that he had to scoop out alot of his mids. But there is still a good bit of mids in here.

And because they only saw his amps settings not what he had in his rack it confused alot of people thinking dime also scooped his mids. Its the same thing with Kerry King.... There scooped because they have to be... Listen to any of those to bands and you can hear those shearing mids coming through like a knife...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 31, 2008,
Some guy who hangs around on this forum a lot has pretty much the best sig in existence.
It was something like..

If your EQ looks like your crowd will look like this

So true. Out of all the groups my band's played with, the ones that scooped their mids were the ones that were the most unpleasant to listen to. Even if they were great bands to WATCH, their tone let them down completely.

DON'T SCOOP YOUR ****ING MIDS, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Listen to any decent metal album. You hear that clarity? Yeah? You hear that PUNCH? You hear those guitars at all?
Mids. Killswitch Engage? Mids. Lamb of God? BOOSTED MIDS. Meshuggah? Mids up the ass. Necrophagist? Midsmidsmids. Mastodon? OHLAWDTHEMIDS!

See a trend? Good tones? Lots of mids? Yeah thought so.
Sure, dip your mids if it compliments your amp. Splawns, Framus', 5150's, whatever, they all sound great with the mids DIPPED to about 4 or so, but never scooped all the way to 0.

It's like making a sandwich, preparing a lovely filling with some reallyy nice fresh chicken, then thrown the ****ing chicken away and just eating the bread.

Please, just don't rape my ears or my sandwiches and boost your ****ing mids.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dime used a ton of gain... High output pickups, mxr 6 band eq boosting the mids for more gain and had to run two noise gates just to keep the feed back under control (with a sound tech constantly adjusting them while he was running around on stage because his position in refrence to the amps and cabs would throw everything off). And in his later years added a Zakk Wylde OD on top of all of that... Dime used gain and a lot of it... Hell everything about his rig was gain...

I guess you're right then, I just read in some guitar magazine that he didn't use as much gain as people said he did. I guess you can't trust guitar magazines anymore...
Quote by Dream Pin
Some guy who hangs around on this forum a lot has pretty much the best sig in existence.
It was something like..

If your EQ looks like your crowd will look like this

So true. Out of all the groups my band's played with, the ones that scooped their mids were the ones that were the most unpleasant to listen to. Even if they were great bands to WATCH, their tone let them down completely.

DON'T SCOOP YOUR ****ING MIDS, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Listen to any decent metal album. You hear that clarity? Yeah? You hear that PUNCH? You hear those guitars at all?
Mids. Killswitch Engage? Mids. Lamb of God? BOOSTED MIDS. Meshuggah? Mids up the ass. Necrophagist? Midsmidsmids. Mastodon? OHLAWDTHEMIDS!

See a trend? Good tones? Lots of mids? Yeah thought so.
Sure, dip your mids if it compliments your amp. Splawns, Framus', 5150's, whatever, they all sound great with the mids DIPPED to about 4 or so, but never scooped all the way to 0.

It's like making a sandwich, preparing a lovely filling with some reallyy nice fresh chicken, then thrown the ****ing chicken away and just eating the bread.

Please, just don't rape my ears or my sandwiches and boost your ****ing mids.

Leave everyone's bloody sandwiches alone damn it!
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I guess you're right then, I just read in some guitar magazine that he didn't use as much gain as people said he did. I guess you can't trust guitar magazines anymore...

Well one issue is dime was secretive and only let out bits and pieces and was known just to make up stuff or hold stuff back about his rig. And by gain he probally told the magazine he didnt have his gain knob dimed but the man had enough input level going into those amps to choke a mule.

Theres also few damageplan videos of him using the od pedal and had his noise gates cranked the amount of gain that came out of that rig was just insane. Also its a cool video to watch if you like dime's crazy antics or want to learn how to do his squeals. Its the japan lessons.

And its all good man i just happen to know alot, probally to much about Pantera, Dime and his rig. Also know to much about Metallica and there rigs... Thrash metal was my thing for a long long time...
If I was to make only one suggestion, it would be to SCOOP YOUR MIDS. You see, by SCOOPING YOUR MIDS, you'll achieve that elusive, killer Pantera tone. Also, you must use solid-state gear, but the main thing to remember is to SCOOP YOUR MIDS.
Quote by afrika18
If I was to make only one suggestion, it would be to SCOOP YOUR MIDS. You see, by SCOOPING YOUR MIDS, you'll achieve that elusive, killer Pantera tone. Also, you must use solid-state gear, but the main thing to remember is to SCOOP YOUR MIDS.

Grrr you anger me.
trust me on this one. sh-13 seymour duncan dimebucker. crank up treble to the max on your amp. i use my neck pickup or set toggle on the middle for most pantera songs.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
trust me on this one. sh-13 seymour duncan dimebucker. crank up treble to the max on your amp. i use my neck pickup or set toggle on the middle for most pantera songs.

Why would he want to buy a dimebucker and not use it? I sure as hell wouldnt trust ya after that comment....

And yes a dimebucker is a good option if your only playing pantera but most are not... Also a cheaper and better alternative is a Bill Lawrence...
DO NOT SCOOP YOUR MIDS!!! It will sound like ****! maybe lower it to 4, but don't scoop it for God's sake.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
meh, do what sounds best to your ears, depending on the amp. I don't mind a slight scoop, either extreme doesn't work that well imo. Completely scooped won't cut thru a mix with other instruments at all, and boosted way up sounds like a honky mess on a lot of amps if you're going to for a tight chug. To each their own I guess.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by afrika18

I despise you.
Quote by Dream Pin
I despise you.

You've clearly been trolled ^^

I don't really get why anyone would want Pantera's tone...but ah well, each to their own...

I hear the Uber Metal is good, but I've never tried it. Maybe you should give that a blast?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You've clearly been trolled ^^

I don't really get why anyone would want Pantera's tone...but ah well, each to their own...

I hear the Uber Metal is good, but I've never tried it. Maybe you should give that a blast?

But the thing is, everything he said is so, so true.
Dimebag liked his solid state, and he scooped. :S

And I'm not a fan of the Uber Metal. Muddy as hell.
This is my set-up... I get a pretty badass Dimebag tone out of it.... kinda expensive though. but then again i got most of my equip. from pawn shops.

Randall Century 170 II Head ($200)
B.C.Rich KKV Signature w/o emgs
Boss SD-1($30)
Boss ML-2($99)

Turn on amp distortion and turn the mid range at 1, highs all the way up, lows at 8, amp gain level on 1-3, and amp voicing all the way up to give it that scooped sound.
SD-1: Level: all the way
Tone: all the way
Drive: almost all the way down
ML-2: Level: Half Way
Low: Half Way
High: 2 o' clock
Dist: 3 o' clock
Fleshstripper