Page 1 of 2
Is anyone reading anything right now? I'm reading a book called What Orwell Didn't Know; it's about how the events described in George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language" are actually taking place.
I'm reading this thread, can't say I'm enjoying it though.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
i haven't read a book since like a few years or something...the internet keeps me company...books are way too 90s
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Is anyone reading anything right now? I'm reading a book called What Orwell Didn't Know; it's about how the events described in George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language" are actually taking place.

Reading Orwell's 1984 again at the moment.
Currently reading The Generals, 2nd in a series of books based on the lives of Bonapart and Wellington.
Quote by Muckle
House of Leaves

I've heard that's quite good. Haven't picked it up yet, though.

I'm reading through The Indiana Torture Slaying again. It's just too interesting and horrible to put down for long.
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov at the moment. Very funny.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Geisha
r
im reading loads of stuff about Geisha at the moment because im doing reseach for my disertation
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by Broken_Drum
Reading Orwell's 1984 again at the moment.

We're reading that in school right now. First required reading book that I've actually enjoyed. I'm also reading a few Stephen King books and some Kinky Friedman (the man's a genius).
If only summer rain would fall, on the houses and the boulevards
And the sidewalk bagatelles, it's like a dream
With the roar of cars and the lulling of the cafe bars,
The sweetly sleeping sweeping of the Seine...
im reading the resident evil novels they are pretty good
ive also just downloaded a whole bunch of lovecrafts work and plan to start reading those soon
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by dubstar92
Ender's Game
re-reading one of my favorites

That's definitely one of my favorite books of all time. Ender's Shadow is great as well.
I'm gonna start East of Eden soon.

I'll also read 1984 this summer. We read Orwell's essay earlier this school year for my AP comp class. I stopped reading after the first couple sentences cause I couldn't pay attention
Quote by Muckle
House of Leaves

I'm re-reading it right now. I love the book so much. I think we should have a House Of Leaves Appreciation Group.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
A book I randomly picked up called "The Dark Ones" by Anthony Izzo, as well as one of the many Lovecraft collections.
i remember in school have to read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre was really good

but P and P...boring as HELL
Quote by XCount Me InX
i remember in school have to read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre was really good

but P and P...boring as HELL

But it has the handsome Mr Darcy!

-Matthew Arnold

Blood Brothers!

3rd book of a spin off series from "Necroscope" by Brian Lumly

veeery good books, and it goes slightly into metaphysics, and maths if youre interested in that

good read =]
Quote by Dinkydaisy
But it has the handsome Mr Darcy!

yeah, but its SO hard going!

i dont know. The way Charlotte Bronte writes, i found Jane Eyre much easier to understand....i prefer the films of Jane Austins books
I am reading a few books simultaneously for summer reading. Uhh...Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck, The Great Gatsby, and The Crucible. I am also reading a little bit of Kafka.
D & D player.
If you don't like it, okay.
Quote by XCount Me InX
yeah, but its SO hard going!

i dont know. The way Charlotte Bronte writes, i found Jane Eyre much easier to understand....i prefer the films of Jane Austins books

I hated reading it too
I despise both Austen and the Bronte sisters. Women can't write novels.

-Matthew Arnold

I love christopher gutierrez's work, his stories are of everyday events and some extrordianry and they are all is own experiances.
I loved Jane Eyre too !
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by Bayonetwork
I'm re-reading it right now. I love the book so much. I think we should have a House Of Leaves Appreciation Group.

Let me finish it first!

I am litteraly only a few pages in! Only started 5 mins ago

My friend says its incredibly deep? Is this true?
MASSIVE TEXT
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Lol

Colin Firth.

haha

he played his part well though!
The Best A Man Can Get, by John o'Farrell
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
You poor bastard.

I think it's a step up from Thomas Hardy, at least. I hate that bastage.
Reading the Brontes (Bronties? How the hell would one pluralize that :p) is slightly better than sticking ones member into a bag of broken glass.

Only Slightly.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at May 31, 2008,
Quote by dubstar92
Ender's Game
re-reading one of my favorites

A few months ago, my best friend gave me all of the books in that series to read in a particular order. I started with Ender's game, then I read Ender's Shadow and it's sequels, and then I read through Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. I'm working through Children of the Mind right now. Great series of books, though the Ender books and the Bean books are so thematically different that it almost seems like they were written by two separate authors (and I mean that in a good way.)

I'm also slowly but surely making my way through the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm on Mostly Harmless, the last book, and just can't find enough time to finish it.

A few months ago I also won the bulk of the Redwall series on eBay and, having now acquired all of them, I'm reading through that series, though the order isn't that important. I might read Martin the Warrior next.

Finally, I just finished The Children of Hurin. Whereas The Hobbit was written like a children's fairy tale and The Lord of the Rings was an epic fable, this read more like a historical account and a tragedy rolled into one. It was good, but a very dry read and quite impersonal.
Page 1 of 2