Should i get one i have a MIM strat already but i want a guitar with humbuckers and from what i've heard les pauls are pretty much the best on the market.but im not sure if i should just stick with the strat or buy a les paul. if any body could give me their opinion that would be great
Gear:
MIM Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker
Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Quote by demonsheep
Get out of bed; Slap them with your dick.
Yes, They are very good. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and it's an extremely good value.Easy to play and nice sound. You could probably get one for close to $1oo now.
Les Pauls are NOT definitively the best on the market. Its all about your preferences. Les Pauls are heavy as ****, and aren't nearly worth the price they cost. Granted, thats all my opinion.

But to try and help you, I have to questions.

1. What kind of music do you play?
2. What amp do you have?

EDIT: Forget the second question. I've actually read your sig now :P
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at May 31, 2008,
i play a lot of blues and classic rock but my band wants to play more modern rock and i just want something in the $300-500 range that has humbuckers and is actually good

EDIT:I don't really care that it is heavy i play a strat and that thing is pretty heavy and it doesn't bother me
Gear:
MIM Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Quote by demonsheep
I have an Epi Les Paul Standard. I love it so much! Go to a store and try a bunch out (try guitars other than LPs too!). We can't really make a good decision for you, obviously, but in my opinion, it's a great guitar and I've been playing for 8 years.

edit:
Quote by AlexHiltunen1

EDIT:I don't really care that it is heavy i play a strat and that thing is pretty heavy and it doesn't bother me

Strats are NOT heavy. They are light like a feather, especially when compared to a Paul. Epiphone Les Pauls weigh around 7-8 pounds and the Gibsons weigh about 10. Playing gigs with them can be problematic because of the weight unless you get a good strap. SGs can be a good alternative with humbuckers if the weight of a Paul is a turnoff, but they tend to neckdive (unless, once again, you get a good strap).
Last edited by strat335 at May 31, 2008,
i`d say go to a music store and check out some of the lp copies. imo strat are great guitars but they have no grunt. an lp would def give you some more diversity.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Michael Kelly Patriots are better guitars all around than Epi LPs and are cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You havent played my strat its heavier than my LP its an 83 MIA feels like they made it out of concrete. As for TS I started on strats said I would never have a LP. But now I rarely play my strat. I even converted one of my strats to the shorter scale of a LP. But LPs are different to play. All you can do is try one. Just stay away from the super cheap ones. Minimum to buy is a standard model.
Quote by Tackleberry
Minimum to buy is a standard model.

yeah that's the one i was looking at. that or the limited edition Les Paul custom
Gear:
MIM Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Quote by demonsheep
I love my Epiphone Les Paul standard, plays really well and with my padded strap the weight hasn't caused any problems.

I say try both out, even if a strat has single coils that doesn't mean you can't play modern rock with it. First and foremost play the one your most comfortable with and like more overall IMHO.

Also if you do need humbuckers there's always HSS Mexican strats.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at May 31, 2008,
or you can just put a Humbucker in your strat, you'll just have to get a different pickguard.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
or you can just put a Humbucker in your strat, you'll just have to get a different pickguard.

it's not as simple as a different pickguard buddy....i would need to carve out the hole the pickup goes in underneath the pickguard and im not doing that
Gear:
MIM Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Quote by demonsheep
Quote by AlexHiltunen1
it's not as simple as a different pickguard buddy....i would need to carve out the hole the pickup goes in underneath the pickguard and im not doing that

Not necessarily. Look at one of those hot rails. I believe they work as humbuckers.

EDIT: And FYI, "buddy" comes off as a little hostile on here :S
If you need a les paul style guitar i recommend you check out rondomusic.com the Agile AL's are better guitars than the Epiphone's LP's IMO AL 3100 Silverburst
check that one out
Switzerland is small and neutral! We are more like Germany, ambitious and misunderstood!
Quote by AlexHiltunen1

pretty much every strat body is routed for a humbucker in the bridge.

edit: and "buddy" does sound quite hostile, although im sure you didnt intend for it to.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I tried out the Epiphone Ultra today. Great guitar. Made with a 1mm narrower neck, hollowed out a bit in body(5.5 lbs.) satin finish neck, belly cutout. Classic alnico pups. Schweet!
Quote by chea_man
pretty much every strat body is routed for a humbucker in the bridge.

edit: and "buddy" does sound quite hostile, although im sure you didnt intend for it to.

yeah i don't know if mine is because the guys at my local music store said i couldn't put a humbucker in my strat
Gear:
MIM Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Maxon OD808 Overdrive

Quote by demonsheep
Quote by AlexHiltunen1
yeah i don't know if mine is because the guys at my local music store said i couldn't put a humbucker in my strat

i bet it does. just look
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.