I'm thinking of getting a dual or triple recto... however on ebay it seems easier/cheaper to get a triple then a dual... now i know the wattage difference but couldn't i just get a noise gate or something with a triple to play at lower levels and still get a good sound?

oh and second any ideas on a good cab to compliment it? i play metal/rock/etc.
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
I'm thinking of getting a dual or triple recto... however on ebay it seems easier/cheaper to get a triple then a dual... now i know the wattage difference but couldn't i just get a noise gate or something with a triple to play at lower levels and still get a good sound?

oh and second any ideas on a good cab to compliment it? i play metal/rock/etc.

there's barely any difference in volume between 100W and 150W, it's more about headroom at that point. That said, all the Rectos sound much better with the power section opened up a little, just like most amps. The 2ch TRec is my favorite sounding recto out of all them personally though. There isn't going to be much difference between them at low vols.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
if u were REALLY into metal, id go dual recto for sheer chuggage.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by ross1234
go for the dual rectum frier

Best quote ever.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
thanks for the input... but i've read/heard there is little difference in the sound and such so why the dual over the triple if they sound the same?
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go with the Dual like stated above.... Never liked the Triples either was more fond of the Duals and the Singles...

hmm, that's interesting, I usually agree with what I see you post. I've owned (2) newer 3ch Dual Recs, plus the Recto Preamp, and none compared to the old 2ch TRec my friend had. Singles just never did it for me. I bought both duals thinking I was going to get that sound of his Trec, but it never happened. Not as buzzy or "kazoo like" in those lower mids with the gain up, and tighter for the chug IME. The djent just sounded more forceful and tight. I'm going to find out soon if his amp was just a fluke though, which could very well be.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
also i just read that you can just remove 2 of the tubes (outer or inner) to make a triple a dual and 4 tubes to make it a single (well kinda)... does this make sense to anyone?
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
also i just read that you can just remove 2 of the tubes (outer or inner) to make a triple a dual and 4 tubes to make it a single (well kinda)... does this make sense to anyone?

that only works on the dual rectifier, it won't work on the triple. It does lower the power, but again, it's not a huge amount of volume drop. It's mainly about headroom and when the powertubes begin to saturate. 50W is still very loud. For metal, that's not going to help really, powertube OD is a little too loose and furry IMO for modern metal. That's why most of the high gain metal amps are higher wattage. However, if you're looking for powertube overdrive for more rock oriented tones, you would definitely be better off looking in the lower wattage models.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
hmm, that's interesting, I usually agree with what I see you post. I've owned (2) newer 3ch Dual Recs, plus the Recto Preamp, and none compared to the old 2ch TRec my friend had. Singles just never did it for me. I bought both duals thinking I was going to get that sound of his Trec, but it never happened. Not as buzzy or "kazoo like" in those lower mids with the gain up, and tighter for the chug IME. The djent just sounded more forceful and tight. I'm going to find out soon if his amp was just a fluke though, which could very well be.

Your right i was confused.. its been a long day.... lol

I was thinking dual channel was the Dual Rec and Triple channel was the Triple rec...

And the correction... The Triple Rec i tested and thought it was pretty nice but couldnt crank it to see what it truly sounded like and the dual rec was the one i just plain hated couldnt get anything to sound good out of it..

And the Single Rec i tested out is the amp that threw me off about mesa's. I sat down threw up some settings and instantly it was tight and spot on and loved it. Was thinking ohhh yes mesa's are the amp for me. Then months later i tested out the Dual rec and the Triple rec and was pretty thrown off on how loose they were compared to that first mesa. But then again it was used so not telling what someone might have modded or replaced in it.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 31, 2008,
ok well i have the question about triples and duals answered now the other two
can i use a noise gate so i can turn the amp up to reach its sweet spot but have a lower output volume?
and suggestions on cabs since i know pretty much nothing on them?
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
ok well i have the question about triples and duals answered now the other two
can i use a noise gate so i can turn the amp up to reach its sweet spot but have a lower output volume?
and suggestions on cabs since i know pretty much nothing on them?

Noise gate is just going to kill of the excess noise high gain causes it wouldn't lower the output volume. To lower the volume and hit its sweet spot your gonna need a attenuator.

For cabs you can go with avatar, vader, marshall, mesa and a slew of others.. I dont know the full characteristics of those amps and what speakers fit them best. Usually V30's are the go to speakers for metal. Im sure Erock can shed some light on cabs for ya..