I am a little confused for what amp I should get for my dorm room this fall. I have it narrowed down to two of them. First of all I should say that I will be running a POD XT Live through it and that I play a lot of Bullet for my Valentine and Metallica, so I want to be able to have a good over driven tone but also have a nice clean. ( the POD should handle all that though)
I have it narrowed down to the Blackheart Little Giant
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078
or the Krank Rev JR
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613

note: i have plenty of graduation money so dont consider the cost difference.... Thanks for all the help!!!!
Krank

/thread
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
I say Rev Jr., as long as you're not going to use the POD's distortion. Getting the Rev Jr. for the clean channel is like getting a Ferarri for the stereo system... it's not what you buy it for. Anyway, you'll probably do the majority of your playing through the headphone jack on the POD, as to not piss off your dormmates.
I'm just wondering, are the Rev Jr.'s channels even foot switchable?
if you are using the POD for sounds then what is the point in getting a valve amp? a POD would probably sound better through a keyboard amp than a valve amp - something that has a flat response. I really dont see the point in getting a nice valve amp you cant crank, especially if you get all of your tones from the POD anyway.

If you plan on gigging without the POD, then the Krank Rev Jr would be great, but if you get all of your sounds out of the PODS modelling then save a heck of a lot of money and get a 50 or 100w keyboard amp - something that keeps the same tone when you turn it up. I have a 15w valve amp but i wouldnt play my Tonelab LE loud through it because the sound changes the harder you push the valves, so all of the patches you have made sound rubbish when you get to the gig! (they get muddy) like hrdcorelaxplaya said, it is pointless getting the rev jr for the cleans. The POD will probably provide nicer cleans through a keyboard amp or straight into a PA
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I say Rev Jr., as long as you're not going to use the POD's distortion. Getting the Rev Jr. for the clean channel is like getting a Ferarri for the stereo system... it's not what you buy it for. Anyway, you'll probably do the majority of your playing through the headphone jack on the POD, as to not piss off your dormmates.

Well I have certain tones downloaded to the pod that i use and they are distorted... would that matter?
They both are great amps but the Blackheart has more original character to it if you ask me. But the Krank might be the better option for your specific sounds.
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
if you are using the POD for sounds then what is the point in getting a valve amp? a POD would probably sound better through a keyboard amp than a valve amp - something that has a flat response. I really dont see the point in getting a nice valve amp you cant crank, especially if you get all of your tones from the POD anyway.

If you plan on gigging without the POD, then the Krank Rev Jr would be great, but if you get all of your sounds out of the PODS modelling then save a heck of a lot of money and get a 50 or 100w keyboard amp - something that keeps the same tone when you turn it up. I have a 15w valve amp but i wouldnt play my Tonelab LE loud through it because the sound changes the harder you push the valves, so all of the patches you have made sound rubbish when you get to the gig! (they get muddy) like hrdcorelaxplaya said, it is pointless getting the rev jr for the cleans. The POD will probably provide nicer cleans through a keyboard amp or straight into a PA

Well then what would you recommend as a keyboard amp? remember i'm using this mainly in a dorm room.
Quote by FourFortyFour
Well I have certain tones downloaded to the pod that i use and they are distorted... would that matter?

It'd be kind of a waste to get the Krank if those are the only tones you lose... if you can, try it out and see if you like its distorted tone better than what you get from your POD. If you don't (which I doubt will be the case), then getting it is pretty pointless.
ive heard excellent results with modellers and the Laney AH50/100 keyboard amps, but im not sure laney prices are too good in the US. Roland would be a good place to look

edit: dont get me wrong here, if you plan to gig with this amp too, but without the POD then get somethinglike the Rev Jr., (i use a tonelab for practice through a valve amp but loud i ditch it and plug into an OD into a valve amp) but if you like the tones from your POD and would gig using the sounds from the POD, then it seems to me the best solution would be the thing that colours the PODs sound the least, which would be a keyboard amp. It will sound pretty much the same at bedroom volumes as it will at gig volumes - but a little better as you are pushing more air.

Using a low wattage valve amp and POD to gig isnt a good idea because you wont be able to get a very clean tone that you need at that volume, you will be adding the POds sound to an already slightly overdriven sound.

It'd be kind of a waste to get the Krank if those are the only tones you lose... if you can, try it out and see if you like its distorted tone better than what you get from your POD. If you don't (which I doubt will be the case), then getting it is pretty pointless.

yeah, the Krank Rev Jr. should be a replacement for the POD else it isnt worth it. Do those amps sound good at bedroom volumes?
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at May 31, 2008,
lets say i dont want to use the pod all the time... what kind of sound would i expect if i put the blackheart head on the krank cabinet? would it be heavier? and get it a darker tone?
entendu - simple google search for krank + rev + jr + footswitch reveals that the channels are not footswitchable - you have to press the front panel

and i doubt it would be heavier, and im not sure whether it would be darker, depends on speakers i suppose. I'd just get the blackheart with blackhearts cab, and a really really good OD and have 100s to spare
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
entendu - simple google search for krank + rev + jr + footswitch reveals that the channels are not footswitchable - you have to press the front panel

and i doubt it would be heavier, and im not sure whether it would be darker, depends on speakers i suppose. I'd just get the blackheart with blackhearts cab, and a really really good OD and have 100s to spare

a really good OD? (sorry noob)
OD means overdrive pedal - pushes a valve amp (can make it go heavier than it would naturally)

you would probably prefer the Krank, but i doubt you would be able to play it loud enough to get good sound, the Blackheart and OD would allow this
blackheart for the mother****in' win.

unless your a hardcore metal player...

i bought the little giant mini stack for my dorm room this semester gonna be sweeet. chix will be knockin' on the door goin, 'ooooohhhh me love you long tiiiiimmeeee!! lemme innn!" and i'll be like, "not now!!! i'm playing my guitar!!!"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
i think you should get the biggest, loudest stack you can afford and see if you cant play loud enough to shatter your dorm monitor's skull with it
Dorm Room? No more than 15 w. My mother AND father complained that the Blues Junior is too loud, and it was at volume less than 1. (Though I did do the cathode follower mod...)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by aedmiston
i think you should get the biggest, loudest stack you can afford and see if you cant play loud enough to shatter your dorm monitor's skull with it

I think my triple stack o death can accomplish that.... lol
if your using the POD for most of your tones, i would get the blackheart. save some money and still sound great.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i almost never played my amp when i was in my dorm room. its a waste of money to buy an amp just for dorm use. most of the time you will be playing with your pod and headphones because people dont like loud music. i mean sure both of those amps are good (or seem so, i havent tried the krank), but you wont get the use out of them in a dorm. if anything, just go buy a cheap SS practice amp used. i spent $50 on my dorm amp, and im glad i didnt spend more. wait till you have an apartment or something before getting a small tube stack. besides, dorms arent the best place for nice gear.
15 is still pretty loud for a dorm room considering the only way to get the max overdrive is to crank it. try the peavey jsx mini colossal.
Quote by lilchimp818
15 is still pretty loud for a dorm room considering the only way to get the max overdrive is to crank it. try the peavey jsx mini colossal.

this.

you will find people will get annoyed with even 5w - thats why i suggested a 50w (or even 30w) keyboard amp with the POD, very cheap and will sound the same at all volumes. If you are intent on getting a valve amp and not being popular in your dorm then i wouldnt get more than 5w

another cost effective solution some consider is modelling software - assuming you have a fairly decent sound system you will be taking (even my rubbish panasonic stereo sounds good with gearbox) This takes up the least room and is the cost of a toneport. I didnt go with it in the end because i dont like line6's modelling and i wanted my valve amp with me incase a gig came up - but if you like your POD and have no gigging aspirations then it could work. or maybe just plug your pod into your stereo? can you do that?
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by jof1029
i almost never played my amp when i was in my dorm room. its a waste of money to buy an amp just for dorm use. most of the time you will be playing with your pod and headphones because people dont like loud music. i mean sure both of those amps are good (or seem so, i havent tried the krank), but you wont get the use out of them in a dorm. if anything, just go buy a cheap SS practice amp used. i spent $50 on my dorm amp, and im glad i didnt spend more. wait till you have an apartment or something before getting a small tube stack. besides, dorms arent the best place for nice gear.

This.
I'd have to recommend just getting some nice headphones and using your POD for a while. You really won't get a chance to use an amp in the dorms anyway. Most people will probably hate you within a week if all they hear is your guitar when they're trying to study. If you must "absolutely" have an amp though, I'd go with the blackheart out of your choices. The Rev jr is a nice amp, but since you already use your POD for all your tones it'd be kind of a waste of money since all you'd need is a clean channel.

Also, if you get some really nice headphones and the blackheart, it'll still be cheaper than the Rev jr.
I can guarantee if you get a good high gain you will 100% defiantly stop using the pod's distorted tones. Theres just somthing so amazing about real tube distortion that modellers cant touch.

Peavey mini JSX is a brilliant choice for a small all tube amp thats usable at dorm levels as it has 2 feateres that will work great for you and your setup.

1) It has an effects loop. This rules for your pod as you can bypass the amps preamp and us the poweramp section to amplify your pods tones. this is good as you have an element of tube goodness in your sound and the preamps character isnt imposed on your tone.

2) The Peavey has a built in attenuator which allows you to fully saturate the tubes without bothering the other occupants.

Also word has it the the Krank is being updated with foot switchable channels in the very near future.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Dorm room?

Laney VC30-212 for me

But out of those, just go for the Blackheart, you'll be glad of the extra cash.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX