Hey guys...,

i've got an Epiphone SG special edition G-400,... i like the alinco pickups, but i'm wanting to upgrade. so which kind should i get...? i'm looking for some that will give me distortion,and still give me that over the top sustain.. I was thinking about some EMG's.. is that a good choice... that's what everyone seems to recomend at school..,but i know there's way more experience here with u guys., so that's why i'm asking...thanx alot....
AC/DC is Rock and Roll and Rock and Roll is life!!

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE AC/DC FAN CLUB pm HIGHVOLTAGE45 to join
What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well,,,it's kinda funny.. i play alot with my dad...(drums), and we both play through a crate mixer....into 2 15" speakers,and 2 12" speakers...so,,, that help?

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if your the 8% that listens to real music.

Quote by FacingUsAll
What amp do you have?

Just as importantly, what kind of tone are you looking for? EMG's are a moronic choice if you're looking to play, say, jazz .
um... well, my dad and i play classic rock, like acdc, foreigner, ect.. , but i like to play hevier stuff when i'm playin with friends or just jammin...

There are a tone of great Gibson pickups if you have the money. Otherwise, you can opt for the classic Seymour Duncan JB and '59 setup. It depends on your amp and your budget.
Quote by guitarist_TN
um... well, my dad and i play classic rock, like acdc, foreigner, ect.. , but i like to play hevier stuff when i'm playin with friends or just jammin...

It's probably a good idea to get a reasonably high- output pickup for the bridge and something vintage- voiced for the neck, then. Any examples for the type of tone you'd like?
The JB would probably be too bright for his styles, and the EMGs won't do classic rock as well as others. You'll probably be looking for passives. I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. Pair that with a 59 in the neck and you should be set.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
What's your budget?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
There are a tone of great Gibson pickups if you have the money. Otherwise, you can opt for the classic Seymour Duncan JB and '59 setup. It depends on your amp and your budget.

Gibson pickups are way overpriced and I don't really find the JB good for anything.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well if you just want a better version of the current pickups, buy some Gibson '57 Classics. The pickups in Epiphones are based on the same design ( just made cheaper).

If you want something which can overdrive an amp more but keeping the same sort of tone, then I would suggest a Gibson BurstBucker #3 in the bridge and #2 in the neck. I have them in my Epi LP, basically they're unpotted, higher output versions of the '57 Classic build.

If you're up for a slightly different tone (and this is probably the best option), get something like a Seymour Duncan Duncan Custom, Custom Custom or Custom Five, maybe a JB model; basically the highest output pickups they do below the ones meant for pure metal playing. For the neck pickup, go with something like a '59, Pearly Gates or Alnico II Pro.

Also notice I wrote overdrive up there, whereas you wrote distortion. These are two different things, and it's important to understand this when you're picking new pickups out:

Overdrive = natural clipping caused by cranking an amp until it breaks up. For this you'll need overwound (higher output) pickups, or you can just buy a boost/volume pedal.

Distortion = an artificial effect that mimics the sound of overdrive, though doesn't react to subtle playing differences as well. It can also be safely made much more harsh than overdrive can be, which is why distortion is mostly used in metal (harsh clipping is wanted, but you don't want to break the amp by getting it from overdrive), while overdrive is more used in rock and blues (where you don't want it so harsh, and there's no risk of blowing the amp if you crank it). If you want distortion, then your best bet is a distortion pedal, assuming you're happy with your amp.

And as for active pickups, don't bother. The point of active pickups is to be able to have high output for heavy overdrive, without having lots of background noise coming through too. For that noise reduction though, you also lose tonal clarity and response. It's not worth it. The only time active pickups should be used is if you're playing very obscenely overdriven rhythm playing or chording, where single strike resonance is irrelevant and you just want the most output possible.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.