I've heard a lot of stuff. A friend of mine plays oboe and she says it works her abs during concerts because she has to tense up to make the sound come out right through the reed....and I've always suspected that playing guitar for many years makes your hands bigger and stronger (especially bass). I've heard that drums works the shoulders too.

Any truth to any of these?

Do you guys know of other instruments that give you super human strength?
Nope. None at all.
There's definitely some truth to the drummer thing. At least with the drummers I know, there seems to be a direct correlation between their speed on a double bass pedal and how ripped their legs are.
I don't really think playing bass makes you're hands any bigger...
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
I would say playing the guitar/bass helps build finger and wrist strength. And playing while standing helps build shoulder strength and leg strength.

And there's no doubt that playing the drums works your whole body.
I agree with this statement, My arms definately are stronger than they would have been without playing bass, and I have good shoulder strength too, probably from lubbing the heavy thing.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Guitar can help you out a bit, but at the same time inproper technique can do just as much damage to you hands and wrists.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
There's definitely some truth to the drummer thing. At least with the drummers I know, there seems to be a direct correlation between their speed on a double bass pedal and how ripped their legs are.

+1
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
my best friend's a drummer, and his forearms are ripped. also, being a guitarist, you know that muscle on the under side of your forearm, the one tennis players usually have uber ripped? mine's pretty built on my left arm, and since I play bass too, my right fingers are super fast, and since i play guitar fast, my left fingers are super fast.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
All marching instruments.

Especially REAL intruments, I'm talking the King Marching Brass...because they are nice and heavy and have a thick tone...think a Les Paul if we were talking guitars. Plus, when you march and play, you develop a very strong cardiovascular system. Especially if it is a Drum Corps and select high school marching bands.
I can attest to the bass and the drums thing - I play both. My left arm (i'm left handed) put muscle on because i don't really play the strings - I more smash them with my pick (I'm heavy handed so i'm bound to gain muscle mass) and my right arm gains muscle from tensing so i can push my finger on to the fretboard.

Drums are the same - I've got decent shoulder muscles from that. Unfortunately, i have odd legs because my left leg only does the hi-hat obviously, and my right does the bass pedal. I'm not really light at that either.
My grip strength has increased since I started guitar, and playing Clarinet for years has not only improved my breathing habits/efficiency/whatever, but has made my tongue considerably stronger as well. >.>
Well guitar and bass especially make your fingers and hands more muscled and stronger.
Drums definitely work your arms and legs, and most wind instruments work your abs: you have to flex to give air support during long phrases and high notes.

And hell, all brass instruments give you massive cheek muscles. One of my friends plays trumpet and has trained his chops so that he can hit high Es, and he can crack a walnut in between his teeth.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by calebrocker
my best friend's a drummer, and his forearms are ripped. also, being a guitarist, you know that muscle on the under side of your forearm, the one tennis players usually have uber ripped? mine's pretty built on my left arm, and since I play bass too, my right fingers are super fast, and since i play guitar fast, my left fingers are super fast.

Hes a master debater
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Bass doesn't make your hands bigger, but you can stretch your fingers more certainly. Drumming does improve your muscles, but not drastically. It will improve your muscles cordination with whatever you have flexed on. Which is more important than brute strength. Thats why the little karate dude always kicks the crap out of the big buff guy. Muscles are nothing on drums or combat unless you know how to direct them.
Playing heavy guitars can inherently strengthen your shoulder muscles, but they can also make you round shouldered and have bad posture, so there's two sides to it.
Most of the muscles are in the wrist though with bass. My bassist's muscles in his wrist are ridiculous. It looks freaky.
Quote by FinalDivinity
All marching instruments.

Especially REAL intruments, I'm talking the King Marching Brass...because they are nice and heavy and have a thick tone...think a Les Paul if we were talking guitars. Plus, when you march and play, you develop a very strong cardiovascular system. Especially if it is a Drum Corps and select high school marching bands.

Agreed, marching with 12 inch crash cymbals for 6+ miles really develops your arms.
and for hand size, piano playing definitely increases that. I have a friends who plays piano and one of his hands covers nearly two octaves on the piano.
i never lose at thumb wrestling so i guess thats true
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Quote by metaldud536
My instrument lets me shot web

Really, same here.

On a more serious note. I think marching band instruments probably give you the most work out, but ya every instrument has it's places it builds muscle in.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
Agreed, marching with 12 inch crash cymbals for 6+ miles really develops your arms.
and for hand size, piano playing definitely increases that. I have a friends who plays piano and one of his hands covers nearly two octaves on the piano.

Bloody hell! Two Octaves... thats awesome!
Quote by Mr. Rittard
I have a friends who plays piano and one of his hands covers nearly two octaves on the piano.

Im calling shenanigans.
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3