Alright, so I've been playing guitar for 4 years, then switched to bass and guitar, so I've been on bass for about a year (but the experience on guitar easily transfers to bass and vice-versa). I want to achieve a funkier sound, but my amp doesn't seem able to deliver. Anyone have any ideas as to settings that will make my bass have a funkier tone? I also have a Digitech BP80 to work with, so if anyone knows any settings for that old thing that'd be great.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
Remove a fair amount of low end, put in tons of mids and a healthy amount of highs, and use the bridge pickup. Also, plucking over the bridge pickup helps as it gives you a nice stiff, punchy tone, which is what you're aiming for.
It depends the kind of funk you're after. With that tight, punchy Rocco Prestia sound, just lean on your bridge pickup a touch, boost your low mids and a tiny bit and cut your hi mids the same, cut your bass a very little bit as well. That gets me that sound at least.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It depends the kind of funk you're after. With that tight, punchy Rocco Prestia sound, just lean on your bridge pickup a touch, boost your low mids and a tiny bit and cut your hi mids the same, cut your bass a very little bit as well. That gets me that sound at least.

You know, he DID use a P bass for most of his career.

I think that you should cut a LITTLE around 500ks, boost some sparkle, and work from there. Keep in mind that funk is a very broad term, and much of the tone can come from actually how you play, as Bales pointed out. Play very percussively if thats the kind of tone that your after, and do some muting.
yep, a lot of it comes from finding the right plucking style as well
this sig rocks....
Depends what kind of funk you want. Most guys use tons of mids and highs which i personally detest, lose the tone of the note and get to much thwack, i like mids cut a little bit and precusive playing, or for slapping crank the tone up a little more, not too much tho. Although best funky tone DOD-FX25 envelope filter, sounds like you're underwater.
Quote by IndianRockStar
You know, he DID use a P bass for most of his career.

I think that you should cut a LITTLE around 500ks, boost some sparkle, and work from there. Keep in mind that funk is a very broad term, and much of the tone can come from actually how you play, as Bales pointed out. Play very percussively if thats the kind of tone that your after, and do some muting.

Yeah, I know. What a shame, eh?