Does anyone here know how to fix a busted speaker and could you explain how to do it too? Thanks a lot
Rreplace it with a new one.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Rreplace it with a new one.

How do I do that? I'm sorta a n00b at this amp stuff
You'll need to buy a new speaker, mark the positive and negative leads on the old speaker, desolder/disconnect the old speaker, unscrew making note of its position, screw in new speaker and solder correct leads.
buy a new speaker, mark which wire going to the old one is positive and which is negative, unsolder and unscrew the old speaker, and then put the new one in, matching positive and negative.

oh, and make sure to get a speaker that is rated for more watts than ur amp so u wont blow it out
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
how do you know which one is pos. and which one is neg. and what exactly is soldering?
Ok, I'll try and make this simpler. If you don't catch it this time you might try searching some of this information out on your own, or you might ask for an illustration - maybe you're a visual learner.

1. Look at back of amp (it's the thing that makes your electric guitar sound)
2. Look for speaker, it will be circle-like with a conical body (a bit like a closed funnel)
3. Be sure you are still looking at the speaker, it shouldn't have moved
4. Look for wires going to/from the speaker (the same one from step 2)
5. There should be 2 wires from the speaker, one positive and one negative
6. The wires will be either connected with a metal clasp/connector or soldered (attached with melted metal)
7. Mark the two wires (the ones coming from the speaker) one being positive and the other negative
8. Disconnect the speaker accordingly, you will either remove the connectors or desolder the leads (you will need something hot for this, much like a soldering iron)
9. Make note of where and how the speaker is attached to the cabinet (the boxy thing that holds the speaker) it will most likely be held in place with screws, attached to what is called the baffle (if this is too much, disregard the baffle and pay attention to the screws)
10. Remove screws and speaker
11. Get a new speaker, you'll have to match the Ohms and wattage (this information should be on the back of your broken speaker (from step 10)
12. Take your new speaker (you can't use the same speaker from step 10, it's broken) and screw it into place
13. Attach the two wires (positive and negative) accordingly to the speaker
That was really really helpful, but I still don't know how to tell negative from positive, I see the two cables, and one's black and the other is white, but I still can't tell.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Ok, I'll try and make this simpler. If you don't catch it this time you might try searching some of this information out on your own, or you might ask for an illustration - maybe you're a visual learner.

1. Look at back of amp (it's the thing that makes your electric guitar sound)
2. Look for speaker, it will be circle-like with a conical body (a bit like a closed funnel)
3. Be sure you are still looking at the speaker, it shouldn't have moved
4. Look for wires going to/from the speaker (the same one from step 2)
5. There should be 2 wires from the speaker, one positive and one negative
6. The wires will be either connected with a metal clasp/connector or soldered (attached with melted metal)
7. Mark the two wires (the ones coming from the speaker) one being positive and the other negative
8. Disconnect the speaker accordingly, you will either remove the connectors or desolder the leads (you will need something hot for this, much like a soldering iron)
9. Make note of where and how the speaker is attached to the cabinet (the boxy thing that holds the speaker) it will most likely be held in place with screws, attached to what is called the baffle (if this is too much, disregard the baffle and pay attention to the screws)
10. Remove screws and speaker
11. Get a new speaker, you'll have to match the Ohms and wattage (this information should be on the back of your broken speaker (from step 10)
12. Take your new speaker (you can't use the same speaker from step 10, it's broken) and screw it into place
13. Attach the two wires (positive and negative) accordingly to the speaker

I laughed
^ I rofled too. I'm going to take a guess and say that black is negative and white is positive. Normally they use black and red. Black is usually negative so thats what I'm basing that upon. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Its just an educated guess.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Yes black is sort of universal ground, except in house wiring then its hot. I still see this ending badly tho. But I did get a good laugh.
Yea I'm taking it to Guitar Center, forget DIY shizz. It did give me a good laugh even though it was making fun of me.
Replacing a speaker is a very easy thing to do pointless to pay somebody to it for you. Most amps its 4 screws and 2 electric connectors.
But I'm gonna screw it up with the electric connectors, because I don't know whether they're connected or soldered, and if they're connected I don't know how to disconnect them and if they're soldered I don't know how to unsolder them.
Last edited by mattj2192 at Jun 1, 2008,
i seriously think for the ts sake he should take it to gc, alas it will end our lols
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Simply connected.

White is positive, black is ground.
For the record, connecting them backwards will not hurt anything, it'll just sound funny.
They should just pull off.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i know u dont want to do this urself, but buy a new speaker and take it to someone other than gc. GC WILL PUT A CRAPPY SPEAKER IN UR AMP!!!!!!!! my micro cube sounded waaaaay better before gc replaced the speaker (it was on warrenty and i said screw screwing up. bad idea.)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I really do want to do it myself, its just I don't know how to disconnect the damn pos. and neg. wires!
go to home depot and ask the guy for a soldering iron and rosin core electrical solder. shoulndt cost more than 15 bucks
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
go to home depot and ask the guy for a soldering iron and rosin core electrical solder. shoulndt cost more than 15 bucks
did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby? look at the photos in the links he posted. those crimp-on connectors slide off the end of the tabs. they aren't soldered in any way, shape, or fashion. changing from those to soldering would be a step backward, and just plain stupid.

Quote by mattj2192
I really do want to do it myself, its just I don't know how to disconnect the damn pos. and neg. wires!
dood! if you can't figure that one out, you need help. not internet help, i mean somebody right in the same room with you. either find a friend that has more brains than god gave an earthworm, to help you or go back to the plan of just taking this to Guitar Center or wherever.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby? look at the photos in the links he posted. those crimp-on connectors slide off the end of the tabs. they aren't soldered in any way, shape, or fashion. changing from those to soldering would be a step backward, and just plain stupid.

dood! if you can't figure that one out, you need help. not internet help, i mean somebody right in the same room with you. either find a friend that has more brains than god gave an earthworm, to help you or go back to the plan of just taking this to Guitar Center or wherever.

Alright I'm sorry that all the ideas given to me in this thread haven't worked, especially sliding the wires off, and that I'm trying to do this the right way without screwing up my amp for good.
ROFL Standard push-on terminals, they are. Try using pliers. White is positive. See the cute little "+" symbol stamped into the black terminal bracket?
Quote by Losenger
ROFL Standard push-on terminals, they are. Try using pliers. White is positive. See the cute little "+" symbol stamped into the black terminal bracket?

I love you. No Homo.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

fyi, i have a 4.64 GPA. be careful who u call stupid.

and my S*** laptop wont load the pics, my bad.....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
celestion is considered the best by many people, but a good 12 inch celestion is over $100... eminence seems fairly popular but i cant vouch for how it sounds ive never used one
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
UPDATE::: It wasn't the speakers making the crackly noise. I went out and bought myself some celestion G12T-75 and the crackling continued, so it was obviously my amp...I don't know how or why but now I gotta return the speakers.
Damn, I wish I caught that thread earlier, because that was my very first question after reading your first post : "How do you know the speaker itself is busted?"... And while reading through the thread of these guys trying to show you how to disconnect the wires, I was (silently) screaming "How do you know the speaker itself is busted?"...

I've been playing guitar for more than 15 years. I've bought countless new and vintage amps. If I had to take a guess, I'd say I bought around 25-30 different amps during those years, and probably played through another 50 or so different models in music stores, friend's amps, rented equipment, etc. My point is, I'm pretty sure I never had a speaker quit on me.

Crackling can be caused by a lot of things : dirty potentiometers or other faulty electronic components : capacitors, resistors, tubes, etc. It could be in your signal path too : your cables, pedals, rack, multi-effects, or right into your guitar. Did you try your amp with a different guitar? Using different cables, straight into the amp? Try to eliminate as many variables as you can and see if you can make the crackling stop.
I tried all of those things...and I'm pretty sure it isn't my pedals, because the same guitar with the same pedals works perfectly fine through my friends amp
Very few places take back electrical parts, especially speakers. Find a cab to put it in and use it with a new amp.