So I am about ready to spend some serious money on effects. The guitarist in my band bought a $250 digitech multi-effects pedal for his guitar and frankly it really impressed me. So I figured I might stand to gain by spending $400 or $500 on a multi-effects rather than the same amount on $100 single effect pedals.

I dont spend enough time in this forum, but as far as I can tell you dont talk about them a whole lot so:

1st: I would like your opinion on Multi-Effects vs. Indivudal Pedals

2nd: I would also like you opinion on which ones to spend my money on. I'm running on a $500 budget. I would like to have one that would allow me to play the widest range of styles but at the same time have good tone on each of them. I also plan to use them on my upright so keep that in consideration please.

Here are the ones I am considering:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Bass-PODXT-Live?sku=150396

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GT10B-MultiEffects-Pedal?sku=151134

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Utopia-B300-Bass-Floor-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=154003
i would recommend a boss ME-50 its cheaper and doesnt really delve into the amp modeling of the others which i feel compromise the tone of your amp

unless your amp sounds like sh*t then go for one of the ones you posted
I agree. The Boss one's are really good quality and not too expensive. The ME-50 has around 3-5 distortions/overdrives, delay, flanger, rotary, chorus, wah pedal and more. Much cheaper than buying everything seperately
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by iron.zeppelin
i would recommend a boss ME-50 its cheaper and doesnt really delve into the amp modeling of the others which i feel compromise the tone of your amp

unless your amp sounds like sh*t then go for one of the ones you posted

+100 I have the ME-50B and it's awesome. There are only a couple of things about it that I don't like but I can get past them. Overall it's a great multi-effects unit, and it's very capable, AND it's actually quite cheap. For a digital effects unit it's actually very non-intrusive too.

If you want to go for total domination with multi-effects though, go for the GT-10B. It's a totally awesome unit, and can do just about anything you can think of. The only problem is that I think it might not be possible to just use it for effects and turn the amp modeling completely off, which is something you have to do if you want to get a really good sound because you need to have a good fundamental amp tone that's not digital.

Quote by black-sabbath
I agree. The Boss one's are really good quality and not too expensive. The ME-50 has around 3-5 distortions/overdrives, delay, flanger, rotary, chorus, wah pedal and more. Much cheaper than buying everything seperately

The ME-50B doesn't actually have a rotary effect. It also has more than 3-5 OD/DS modes. It has 5 overdrive modes and 2 distortion modes. I know that's sort of splitting hairs, but it just helps for him to know

EDIT: I just had a look at the three that you are suggesting, and out of them I would say that the Boss is the best. The Line 6 is very good, but Boss generally have better quality effects and I tend to trust Boss more than Line 6, judging both my personal experiences and from what other people have said.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at May 31, 2008,
i have a digitech gnx3000 and its great

but nothing like an assortment of singles. i would play around in your local store and see what you like. i know a guy with -a very expensive- setup and he has singles (overdrive, chorus...), a preamp, and an rp150 (i think its called) so you can also mix it up. just see what you like, theres no definite answer.
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
i would recommend individual pedals over multi-effects units. I had a multi fx for a while when i played guitar, it was cool, but ultimately nothing was really usuable...it was all just gimmicky sounds.

Plus if you buy separate units, you will only pay for what you need, and if you buy good pedals they will always have a better sound than a multi fx unit.
Sorry to hijack but I have to know; what's a 'rotary' effect?

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Boss without a doubt. They make top notch pedals and effects.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
If you know what you want, single pedals, if you dont multi.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
whatever you do don't get digitech, you will be impressed for a while and then it will hit you: these all sound terrible compared to a real version of the pedal. If you feel u must get a multi then go with the boss, but especially for bass effects I would go individual units. So much more customization options, if you have $500 to spend thats a wah, distortion, envelope filter, delay pedal, and probably you would want an EQ pedal as well.
I wouldn't spend that much on a multi-effects pedal. Here's what I would do:

1) Buy a cheap multi-effects pedal and play around with it for a month.
2) See what effects you use most frequently and go buy the single pedals
Quote by Ataxia
Sorry to hijack but I have to know; what's a 'rotary' effect?

Listen to On The Run - Pink Floyd. Hear that Hammond? THAT'S a rotary effect.

Back on topic, I have a Korg. Maybe they can make keyboards, but not multi effects.