He has a vox valvetronix ad50vt and there is like no sustain how it should be. The bottom three strings (E, A, D) are okay, but die out WAY before they should. The Top three (G, B, E) have like NO sustain at all and it really sucks. It can't be the guitar, even though mine is crappy, it has sounded decent on this amp before. Any ideas, perhaps a blown fuse or something?
you sure the action isnt a little low on the guitaR?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by KOL40
He has a vox valvetronix ad50vt and there is like no sustain how it should be. The bottom three strings (E, A, D) are okay, but die out WAY before they should. The Top three (G, B, E) have like NO sustain at all and it really sucks. It can't be the guitar, even though mine is crappy, it has sounded decent on this amp before. Any ideas, perhaps a blown fuse or something?

Like stated above it sounds like your action... Your amp doesnt differentiate what strings are being used and just kill 3 of them. Would be a sweet amp though, something that would know which string was which and keep everything uniformed. All hell i just gave some big coporation a billion dollar idea...

But yea anyway, try a different guitar on the amp. Also play the guitar without it even plugged in if the action is off you can tell...
I dont know guys, it sounds okay on my amp, plus the bottom three strings just sound okay. Like not as good as they should, but better in comparison to the top three. Plus my bro's lp sounds the same...but his strings may be dead. Still think it is the action?
the strings might be getting old.

anyway, like said play it with no amp, or thru a different amp, see if it rings out a little better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
How's the sustain without using an amp? I think it's also possible that the built-in noise gate (I think there's one at least) is set too high and that's killing the sustain. Check the manual to see how to use it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
sure it isnt the noise reduction on the amp?

+1, a lot of people don't read the manual, so they don't realise the noise gate is there or know how to adjust it, then they accidentally adjust it and think their amp is broken because it keeps cutting off the end of the notes.

edit: also, no *facepalm* its not going to be a blown fuse. if the fuse was blown it would've gone BANG, then the amp wouldn't switch on.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah if the fuse was blown you would know about it. Set the NR to 0 and report back

off topic and out of curiosity, why does GAK suck blompcube?
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
yeah if the fuse was blown you would know about it. Set the NR to 0 and report back

some smartass pro-GAK person will probably try to answer that for me, like every time someone asked that in a thread. so i'm just going to remove the message so people stop asking. i still advise everyone against shopping there, because their terms of service is basically a load of loopholes that allow them to get away with screwing people around. but i acknowledge that their service CAN be good, sometimes.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by slashs_#1_fan

Basically, he's had bad experiences with them so he's been crying to Mummy ever since.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Basically, he's had bad experiences with them so he's been crying to Mummy ever since.

see what i mean about smartass comments? and its always timi..

actually i've just not been shopping there anymore, and sharing my experiences with others whenever they ask, whether they shop there is their choice but i wouldn't advise it. Plus, timi, i'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to resent it, but why would you care anyway?

edit: For the sake of keeping on topic, i think the problem is the noise gate, i think if you hold the bypass button while the effect is bypassed and turn the knob it reduces the threshold of the gate, it sounds like you've set the threshold too high.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Blompcube
some smartass pro-GAK person will probably try to answer that for me.

I'M staying quiet xD

Like the other guys said, try it through a different amp and without an amp at all and also check the the noise reductor is off.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Blompcube

edit: For the sake of keeping on topic, i think the problem is the noise gate, i think if you hold the bypass button while the effect is bypassed and turn the knob it reduces the threshold of the gate, it sounds like you've set the threshold too high.

+1

Basically, Hold bypass when the bypass light is on, then Turn the knob to the left to stop the noisegate, don't turn it all the way too the left otherwise you get WAY too much humming which gets annoying obviously.
Last edited by JFY at Jun 1, 2008,
yeah NR is my guess.

I dont shop at GAK - my bro ordered a guitar from them and it had damage on the laquer so he emailed and they just didnt reply.

ive never had problems though, but i tend to get stuff from soundcontrol
Okay, the amp is fixed, im not sure what my brother did though. I think it had to do with the NR though. The problem now is that there is an INSANE amount of feedback. It also seems to corrispond with where my phase switch is and where my tone knobs are so it may just be my guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
see what i mean about smartass comments? and its always timi..

actually i've just not been shopping there anymore, and sharing my experiences with others whenever they ask, whether they shop there is their choice but i wouldn't advise it. Plus, timi, i'm entitled to my opinion, and you're entitled to resent it, but why would you care anyway?

I don't resent it, but just walking around spouting about how much it sucks doesn't help anyone.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by KOL40
Okay, the amp is fixed, im not sure what my brother did though. I think it had to do with the NR though. The problem now is that there is an INSANE amount of feedback. It also seems to corrispond with where my phase switch is and where my tone knobs are so it may just be my guitar.

the trick is to use the NR a little. Turn it very slowly until the hiss stops. On mine it was about 8 o' clock. Just enough to eliminate feedback but not enough to cut your sustain.