Page 1 of 2
I'm playing mostly Thrash/Heavy Metal. I don't wat scooped mids. I like the sounds of more mids but wheres a good spot?
The stuff I play is mostly... Megadeth, Old Metallica, Older Slayer, Anthrax and Iron Maiden.
7?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
depends on the amp,
try bass 9, mids 7 highs 5 presence 7
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
well if you have a mid freq knob (metal zone) then you might want a lower freq midrange

but if not, like 5?
just mess around with it until you like something.
"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
Thats about exactly what I have now. Bass8-9, Mids 6-7ish, Highs 5-6ish and Shape is about 4-6 ish I think. I don't have presence knob.
I have mine dimed (maxxed), but i'm not sure if that would sound good for your stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by ThrashJeremy
Thats about exactly what I have now. Bass8-9, Mids 6-7ish, Highs 5-6ish and Shape is about 4-6 ish I think. I don't have presence knob.

Pretty sure your shape is similar to a marshall's contour, lower it since by raising it, it automaticly scoops your sound. presence is higher than highs.
Quote by ThrashJeremy

Your bass is a bit high. Some people like that low thud thing going on, but I find it drowns out the clarity of the notes when you're playing rhythm.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I keep mine a bit over 12 o clock and I think it sounds pretty good.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Put them mids at 0 play an intro to a song you are gunning for, then put mids at 1 and repeat, put at 2 and repeat, put at 3 and repeat... Moral is every amp and song is different, you just need to go by ear and see what sounds right for you.
i set my treble and bass to 10 and my mids to 0. it sounds good to me. sometimes i'll lower the bass to anywhere from 5 to 7, but only occasionally.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i set my treble and bass to 10 and my mids to 0. it sounds good to me. sometimes i'll lower the bass to anywhere from 5 to 7, but only occasionally.

Now that is just scooping.
My amp has quite a bit of treble so I must lower it. Right now I've got like a heavy Megadeth tone kind of. Sounds good to me. I can try lowering my shape but its about 1 '0' clock.
Quote by Generalpwnt
Your bass is a bit high. Some people like that low thud thing going on, but I find it drowns out the clarity of the notes when you're playing rhythm.

It just makes everything balsy on my 900.
Quote by ThrashJeremy
The stuff I play is mostly... Megadeth, Old Metallica, Older Slayer, Anthrax and Iron Maiden.

If this is the stuff you play, you'll want to scoop the mids, except for the guitar solo tones for which you set mids to about 12 or 1 o'clock.
It depends on your amp and to some extent your tubes; on my Mark IV when I use el34s they have a inherent loosness and mid hump to them where as 6l6s are a lot flatter and tighter; I'm still trying to figure out which one I like more.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
what exactly does "scooped" mean?

literally scooped out..

examples
scooped smile vs not scooped frown

Tre 10 Mid 0 Bass 10 - scooped mids
Tre 4 Mid 5 Bass 5 - not scooped mids
Tre 7 Mid 2 Bass 7 - scooped mids
Tre 4 Mid 6 Bass 8 - not scooped mids
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 31, 2008,
Quote by 68_SG
It just makes everything balsy on my 900.

The thing is, that ballsy sound tends to make it so you feel the rhythm more than you actually hear it. Iono, I just hate how that sounds.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
If you dont want high mid sounds, just netral mids (5-7) should work.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
DON'T SCOOP.
If I see one more topic encouraging the scooping of mids today I will go on a spree.
A killing one.
It will be Raining Blood all over UG.
Because some tit with no ear for tone told some kid to scoop his mids.

DON'T SCOOP.

For thrash, and pretty much anything where you want the guitars to be heard at all, put them at about 7. Thrash is alll about the mids. 8)
Did TS ever say what kind of amp he had?
It might help to know before people start telling him what to do...

If he has something like a Marshall, scooping his mids a bit won't hurt because of the way the amp is voiced.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
You know what? I really hate it when Timi says something that's right. It totally deprives me of any right to make a sarcastic comment at him.

As a general rule for thrash, you want vaguely this (depending on the amps voicing)

Bass - 8
Mids - 6
Treble - 8/9

But as Timi said, it's all in the voicing.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Aye, depends on the amps eq controls aswell.
My 5150 handles completely differently to any other amp I've used.
First of all. I know that you don't scoop the god damn mids guys. I've heard constant complaints from people on this forum about mids and blah blah.

I'm not some ignorant little kid. I actually do have some taste for tone if you must know.

Right now I've got a Crate GTD65... I know Crate.. don't care. I'll get something else soon.

I have figured out how to make it sound pretty good. It just takes much tweaking.

Whatever. Anyways I think I like my Mids at 6-7.
Quote by Dream Pin
Aye, depends on the amps eq controls aswell.
My 5150 handles completely differently to any other amp I've used.

I love your avatar, Dream Pin. It speaks the truth.

On all my amps, I have the mids dimed, I just love my middz.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Depends on the amp.

Any Marshall, be careful. The marshall sound has a ton of mid range. Kepp your midrange at around 4 to 6.

Mesa amp have very little midrange, I feel the best sound on any mesa amp is Mid to 10
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Generalpwnt

Big +1 here.
I'd keep my bass under 12 o' clock 4-5 max.
Mids 8-10
Trebble: same as bass.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
When I play by myself, my mids are around 4 on a normal amp. Not as much scooped as liking my bass, since my treble's at about the same level. With a band, my mids are usually maxed in order to fit the mix.

So my settings are like this (on a Blues Jr.):

By myself: Bass 10, Mids 5, Treble 6

Band situation: Bass 4-5, Mids 12, Treble anywhere from 7-12

Oh, and I play metal like you.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Jun 2, 2008,
Page 1 of 2