I don't know whether the tubes are exposed, but don't you think your quest for the perfect closed back amp is getting a little ridiculous? This has got to be like your 4th thread dealing with this topic - couldn't you simply get an amp that you like and treat it well? It's not as if tube amps are the most delicate things, and even if you were to break a tube, they're replaceable.
yeah really you post so many topics on this.. why the heck do you want a closed back so bad.

dude just get a freaking board and stick it over the back.
Dont see many fender combos with a closed back. Wouldnt it be easier to get a closed back extension cab for what ever tube amp you chose.
I was diagnosed with OCD, and have a morbid fear of contamination. I am afraid of coming into contact with the tubes and getting lead poisoning. That's why I'm so flawed.
Quote by neptune1988
I was diagnosed with OCD, and have a morbid fear of contamination. I am afraid of coming into contact with the tubes and getting lead poisoning. That's why I'm so flawed.

You serious?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Probably not. It really doesn't matter, does it? If you just take care of it, it should be fine.

The advantages of having an open back are awesome! You can hide your weed in your amp. You can hide lots of things, and no one will think twice. You're a sneaky guy. *ominous music*
angeldef, yes my pyschiatrist diagnosed me. I was already on meds, and she suggested upping the dose. I haven't though because I'm afraid if I do that I might OD or something.

Also, I want something with the Fender tone, but in the V-series cabinet. it's as closed as you can get, due to heat dissipation.
Answer: No, it's DEFINITELY not closed back. In fact, it is rare for guitar combo to be closed back (though many older traynors are, however.)

In terms of protection.. .let's see: I carried this on Vancouver skytrain during rush hour, then walk down the broken road, then upon arriving back home, pluged it in, and it works. And for a tube amp, Fender Blues Junior's tube location is very bad... so it's durable.

Though even a modern traynor would be better for its tube protection (and the older traynor is bulletproof and can survive a 3 story fall), while having Fender clean. The new ones are not closed back, though, while the 60's/70's traynor ones are usually very dirty.

So if you reason for closed back is not for its tone... we can't help you.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by guitar/bass76
This has got to be like your 4th thread with this topic

Ha, I counted - 13 amp threads since May 23rd!

I have to agree with your psychiatrist on this one...
Ive never had a tube break where the very little lead inside was even an issue. I guess owning a gun is out of the question as they use lead bullets.
Would an open backed amp with a metal grid covering the back to stop you from being able to touch the tubes help? or is it the fact you can see them that is the problem? My Laney VC30 has a grid screwed over the opening in the open back, if that makes any sense.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by neptune1988

Than go and get a Solid State amp.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Horlicks
Solid State?

yeah, i was thinking that too, but it got removed from my post accidentally when i was rewording it and forgot to fit it in again. TS maybe you should try out a good quality solid state amp? then there'll be no tubes to worry about. Contrary to the impression you might get from a lot of people on UG, not all solid state amps are horrible sounding.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I can't help you on what amp to get, but I seriously sympathize with you on the OCD issue though. I have it as well and so far no meds have helped.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gilbeaux1983
Its an open back combo just close it yourself! LOL

that's what I'm saying lol!
seriously.
stick a board over it

but dude if you can't come in contact with them, what happens in a year or 2 when you have to change the tubes?
Quote by neptune1988

what a load of bull, seriously. Are you scared of the carbon dioxide in the air contaminating you aswell? Contact with other people? Catching bird flu from stepping in duck turd? YOUR COMPUTER KEYBOARD COULD BE CONTAMINATING YOU RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT.

The blues jr isn't closed back.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
You know that tubes don't have lead inside them, right? And they have a rather hard vacuum, so even if they break they implode so you won't even get cut. Besides that, you'd have to throw your amp off of a building (tall building!) or take a hammer to your tubes to break them anyway.
I think the issue with OCD is what is percepted of them– in a not so nice word, clean freak (I know some was so obsessed that he basically wear gloves and mask when going out). In that case, you really should stick with SS/modeling, because tubes will always be "exposed", be it head or combo; at most there will be a metal screen.

And the reason why there are no closed back on tube amps is because tubes need ventilation, and closing the entire back will usually also block the ventiliation of the tubes. Even traynor closed back combos are basically a head glued onto the cab (not exactly, but best description I can explain).
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by Roc8995
You know that tubes don't have lead inside them, right?

Well, I've never known Roc to mislead anyone about tubes, and if that's the case, then all your problems are solved.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I feel like I should also mention that although tubes don't have lead in them, some of the cheaper tubes may use lead in some of the processing. It would be a very small amount, if any at all- just residual, kind of like there's arsenic in your tap water, just not that much. What I mean is there's always a chance that there could be a little, especially given safety standards in the countries that make them, but I doubt there's any significant amount of lead in the tubes. The most dangerous part of your amp (on the outside, at least) is the on switch- it's probably got a lot of bacteria on it.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Catching bird flu from stepping in duck turd?

LMFAO!!!!!!!

don't know why that made me burst into laughter.
Quote by Roc8995
I feel like I should also mention that although tubes don't have lead in them, some of the cheaper tubes may use lead in some of the processing. It would be a very small amount, if any at all- just residual, kind of like there's arsenic in your tap water, just not that much. What I mean is there's always a chance that there could be a little, especially given safety standards in the countries that make them, but I doubt there's any significant amount of lead in the tubes. The most dangerous part of your amp (on the outside, at least) is the on switch- it's probably got a lot of bacteria on it.
+1, although, Barium Chloride man, Barium Chloride

If it scares TS, then have an amusing truth:

You know Plutonium? That ridiculously radioactive stuff?

Bog standard tap water contains some Plutonium atoms. Bog standard tap water contains more lead than a tube does.

So really, +1 on that one, and Kudos to timi for being a prize arse in a comedic fashion.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
well, yeah. I mean sure, anythings possible. You could twist your ankle getting out of bed in the morning. (I am using my laptop in bed at the moment). Not really, I'm actually in the kitchen spelunking for pork rinds....I know we had some somewhere.

But I digress, sure anything's possible. But is it likely? What are the chances of someone getting arsenic poisoning from tap water? (I drink bottled though, it just tastes better. Also I was raised on it since god knows when, so...)

But yeah, get what y'all mean about trying to reason out stuff logically. And whoever said they had OCD too knows what I mean. IT's not just clean-freak. It's really odd stuff too.

I myself, am afraid of cleaning products. Of course I still use soap and take showers. That's kinda a given. But anyway, I'm also afraid of coming into contact with toxic stuff. Like I'm afraid of windex. or motor oil.

Also I was in a car rollover a while back (December). Yeah, that didn't help.

I am going to start on OCD thread in the pit. So for all us crazies, follow me and post there.
My Marshall TSL601 is closed back, so i guess that all other varieties of TSL combos are closed back too and probably all DSL combos, and if this is the case i dont see why all Marshall combos arent closed back. Dont know if this helps you or not?
My Gear:

Jackson RR5
Marshall TSL601 Limited Edition Racing Green
I dont think any tube amps are closed back.. well maybe the Epi Jr. as far as i know.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)