What would be a better upgrade for now

#1 Speaker (V30) wharehousespeakers

#2 JJ power tubes

#3 EQ pedal

#4 Badmonkey OD

which do yall think would give me a better thrash tone? (im gonna do all eventually but which would make the most diffrence now?)
The speaker swap would be the most notable tonal difference in general - but the Bad Monkey would get you closer to thrash.
the eq will give you tons of options, mess with that
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by guitarbite.fire
What would be a better upgrade for now

#1 Speaker (V30) wharehousespeakers

#2 JJ power tubes

#3 EQ pedal

#4 Badmonkey OD

which do yall think would give me a better thrash tone? (im gonna do all eventually but which would make the most diffrence now?)

Speaker-->Bad monkey-->EQ Pedal--->Tubes
i just got a badmonkey with my valve king

it works wonders and gets you there is about the amount of time it takes to dial in and step oon the pedal
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Speaker-->Bad monkey-->EQ Pedal--->Tubes

I think im gonna go w. what he said...he seems to know his stuff when it comes co VKs.
Go witht ubes man. They VK use cheap stock ones. They suck almost as bad as the speakers. IN the long run the bad monkey is a quick fix. Make a long term investment.

Your Valve King 100 uses a quad of 6L6's and three 12AX7's so I would go with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and since you're after a heavy high gain style I would use three of the graded high gain JJ ECC83S's. The high gain tubes will still clean up very well. These amps use a short tail phase inverter circuit so no need for a balanced tube and the current output for the V3 tube does not seem to matter like it does in the Classic series Peavey amps. These will fatten up the drive channel and get maximum gain but they will not hurt the clean channel. The amp has a class adjustment knob which varies the bias a bit so just going with a warmer grade for the power tubes will be plug and play.

A full retube with a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's and three high gain ECC83S's would run 102.50 and we can ship them for 9.50 by Priority mail with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

So these amps are what they are which is a cheaply made chinese amp and the clean tone will not get the warmth that the Classic series amps will. That said, they are not bad considering the price and a tube change will get some improvement including a bit more warmth and definition. The high gain stuff should also take you in a good direction.

If you decide to place an order you can do so online ( http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-order.htm ). This is a Comodo certified secure system, but please don't feel obligated to order online you are always welcome to just give us a call at 503-659-7401 during business hours which are from 9AM to 6PM west coast time to place an order personally. You can also place an order by FAX at 503-659-7385. All that's necessary is your shipping address and a VISA, MC, Discover or American Express number including the expiration date. If you decide to order by phone during business hours and you get our voice mail, leave a number and we will call you back!

Eurotubes.com
The speakers are decent, but nothing great. There are way better speakers out there such as Eminece or Celestions. Truthfully, tubes are the way to go. You'll hear a big difference. The price is decent. Shop around, but I would recommend those tubes. JJ's are a great, cost effective brand. NOS, Grove Tubes, Tseung are all over priced. I'm not a fan of badmonkey. Digitech is not that great. Tube Screamer, MXR OD or Marshall Blues Breaker is the way to go. Try em all out though. Remember lower the gain on the amp and use the pedal as a preamp or else it's going drop off and sound like crap.

I would say tubes then speaker then efx. Not to mention by doing so, it will up the value of your amp. Also, is there any local guitar stores/tech that do mods? There's a mod that will give you more of a mesa/marshall high gain feel. It's around $150. By doing all three (tubes, speakers and then mod) you won't need any OD pedals. Trust me.
Speaker first. I changed the speaker, and now mine sounds like a roaring marshall. Yeah, I didn't believe it either. I went with Eminence, the RedCoat was just the right thing to make mine more British. I'd say an OD after that, because the tubes aren't gonna make a HUGE difference for thrash in the way that the speaker and OD would. an EQ pedal is pretty pointless for thrash, just go:

Speaker -> OD -> Tubes -> EQ if you really feel like you need it.

You may even be able to stop at early as the speaker, since it makes the most difference imo.

Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I still say tubes first. It's your choice. I've been playing for 13 some years now. I'm NOT no 16-18 yr old kid, who fiddles around with the guitar. I'm an active musician, which means I gig just about every weekend. I'm constantly around other msuicians and guitarist at the semi to pro level. I know my sh!t when it comes to equipment. Talk to any knowledgable sales rep, you'll see what I mean. Just cuz some plays guitar doesn't automatically mean they know the guitar. Do what is best for you. If you care about your tone, everything needs to be swapped or the amp needs to be traded in for another.
thanks for the help guys. IDK what im going to do yet, but im going to do at least speaker and tubes.
Quote by mwalluk
I still say tubes first. It's your choice. I've been playing for 13 some years now. I'm NOT no 16-18 yr old kid, who fiddles around with the guitar. I'm an active musician, which means I gig just about every weekend. I'm constantly around other msuicians and guitarist at the semi to pro level. I know my sh!t when it comes to equipment. Talk to any knowledgable sales rep, you'll see what I mean. Just cuz some plays guitar doesn't automatically mean they know the guitar. Do what is best for you. If you care about your tone, everything needs to be swapped or the amp needs to be traded in for another.

If you were playing for as long as you say you have and have delt with this amp before then you would know even the best tubes mean nothing if your playing through crappy speakers. A crappy speaker can even make a Diezel sound like a$$. Also VK's come with a decent set of tubes sometimes its what they have one hand at the factory. Usually JJ's and EHX for the preamp and ruby's or others in the power amp section.

End result is the weakest link bar none is the speaker, so you fix it first and you will be able to enjoy your amp while your waiting on the other stuff to come in. If you go tubes first your sound will still sound like a muddy mess because of the speaker and your not enjoying anything while your waiting to save up for a new speaker. And then add in the off chance your amp already has decent tubes you can deal with for the time being why put yourself through that misery of having to deal with a sh*ty speaker....
well i was thinking speaker b.c i have heard groove tube arent that bad, and that is what my VK has in the power amp right now anyways.

Any one want to reccomend me a speaker? (i was thinking about wharehouse speakers V30 or mabye even a green back clone) Something from eminence would be nice, and im not against jensen either, there is just tooo many models to pick from and i dont really have any experiance.

I dont really and a celestian (sp?) because i dont have a ton of $, the most id like to spend is around 70$.

And im not afriad to go used if so required to get something good.
In the 1x12?

I would go for either a V30 or a Classic Lead, or one of the clones from Warehousespeakers.

I honestly think the speaker change will make a difference. Putting a Celestion G12H in my Laney VC30 changed it from being a generic, cheap, Trebly Vox imitator to a gorgeous, fat, chimey British machine. Tubes make a difference but it is more subtle and less cost-effective than the speaker, especially if the stock tubes are decent anyway.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yes its the 1x12, and i guess i should have mentioned the music styles i play (the most important is first,seconed, ect...) : metal, classic rock, blues, shred, jazz.
Yes, and do you prefer British (Marshally, Voxy) voiced amps or American (Mesa, Fendery) voiced amps?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
well i was thinking speaker b.c i have heard groove tube arent that bad, and that is what my VK has in the power amp right now anyways.

Any one want to reccomend me a speaker? (i was thinking about wharehouse speakers V30 or mabye even a green back clone) Something from eminence would be nice, and im not against jensen either, there is just tooo many models to pick from and i dont really have any experiance.

I dont really and a celestian (sp?) because i dont have a ton of $, the most id like to spend is around 70$.

And im not afriad to go used if so required to get something good.

If you're interested and in the US I'm selling my Vintage 30 for $70. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874940