I use a pod x3 live and i am going to buy a tube combo amp soon. What are some good amps that can really feed off of using a multi effects pedal?

My range is about 700-1200
Roland Jazz Chorus, even though it's not a tube amp.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
don't bother buying an amp if you rely on an effects processor. USe the processor as your preamp and buy a power amp.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Fender twin reissue. Generally you want the cleanest amp with lots of overhead, to allow the most of the POD's tone to come through.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Fender twin reissue. Generally you want the cleanest amp with lots of overhead, to allow the most of the POD's tone to come through.

Problem with the Fender twin is that it's a brighter amp that isn't quite as flexible as the Jazz Chorus.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Ibzman
don't bother buying an amp if you rely on an effects processor. USe the processor as your preamp and buy a power amp.

That makes no sense. All amps are power amps, and most have a preamp built in. Are you telling him to buy just a speaker?
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Quote by handlerb
That makes no sense. All amps are power amps, and most have a preamp built in. Are you telling him to buy just a speaker?

oh lord
Quote by Generalpwnt
Problem with the Fender twin is that it's a brighter amp that isn't quite as flexible as the Jazz Chorus.

You don't need flexibility, thats why you bought the POD. You need clarity and volume.

But I agree the Roland would serve the same purpose, and is a good option to consider.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
multi-effects + tube = stupid

if you're going to not even use the tubes pretty much why buy a tube amp..
multi-effects act diff with tubes too usually over solid state.
just get some kind of solid state amp with a good bypass..

or by one of those little portable P.A. things that are like the size of an amp o.o
Quote by Ibzman

can someone explain what pre- and power- amps are? what the difference?
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by TechnicolorType

or by one of those little portable P.A. things that are like the size of an amp o.o

I just figured that tubes would really breathe life into the effects that might not sound as good as some solid state amps.
yeah, it seems like it would but with the tubes I own it just ruins the sound.

but I can see why you'd assume that..
but to be honest a tube amp is going to just kill the sound of a digital multi-effects
as in like be so much better.

but since multi-effects are preamps usually, it's screwy with the tubes.. probably would be better off just running through a solid state amp and bypass the preamp already in it.
In a tube amp, the preamp is a gain stage. It usually uses 12AX7's or a substitute. These tubes are much easier to push into overdrive at lower levels, thus create distortion tones. The power amp is the section which uses 6L6, EL34, etc tubes. This boosts the signal strength of the sound before going to the speaker. The preamp stage is optional, the power amp is what makes your guitar loud, and always in use.
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
Many people with MFX units use keyboard amps.
Tech 21 Power Engines are another good option for MFX units.

If a amp has a FX loop, you can plug the output of your MFX into the return jack and this will bypass the amps pre-amp, and just use its power amp. This will amplify the sound of the MFX without adding anything of the amps own sound to it.

The pre-amp is what gives a amp its sound.
The power amp just makes that sound louder.
Quote by handlerb
You don't need flexibility, thats why you bought the POD. You need clarity and volume.

But I agree the Roland would serve the same purpose, and is a good option to consider.

The amp will still shape your tone. You can make a thin sounding amp thicker with a processor, but it will still retain certain characteristics that a processor can't mask. No point in buying a Fender Twin if you're putting in an effects processor. However, the Roland Jazz Chorus is more versatile and will stretch more to fit the colorations of your processor.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by TechnicolorType

Completely ridiculous. A high-quality multi-effects unit is more customizable and of better quality than most single effects pedals on the market, and won't degrade your tone in any significant way. For a long time I used a GT-8 in the loop of my tube amp with fantastic results, and will soon be upgrading to a TC G-System.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Check for Atomic Amps, they have tube solutionds for people with multiFX/preamp units, like PODs.
Quote by Genghis_khan
Check for Atomic Amps, they have tube solutionds for people with multiFX/preamp units, like PODs.

+1

here is the 50 watt 212 model.

http://www.atomicamps.com/products-212-50.html

it has a dock where you plug in your pod and the whole amp is specially designed to make the pod sound good
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Micsunderland3
I just figured that tubes would really breathe life into the effects that might not sound as good as some solid state amps.

I run my POD xtl through a phonics power pod PA 620 and the cleans are really good, however your correct in your assumption that tubes will add a warmth to the tones. I A/B through a Valve Jr and For most things i like it better (not all). You could get both the Vj and the PA and still be under your budget. I use a Variax 700 and love this setup. Really isn't anything I can't do with it
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by TechnicolorType

Noob

Quote by TechnicolorType
yeah, it seems like it would but with the tubes I own it just ruins the sound.

but I can see why you'd assume that..
but to be honest a tube amp is going to just kill the sound of a digital multi-effects
as in like be so much better.

but since multi-effects are preamps usually, it's screwy with the tubes.. probably would be better off just running through a solid state amp and bypass the preamp already in it.

Another nooby post

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

If it's a multi-effects, it's designed to work WITH the preamp in the amp.

The signal coming out of the multi-effects is analogue anyway, so there's no problem there.

If it 'ruins the sound' you're doing it wrong. You can get amazing tones from a multi-effects & a tube amp, you wanna argue? Go listen to Opeth.

I can't even begin to imagine where you learned all of this crap.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Jun 1, 2008,
alright, im looking at both the fender twin and those atomic amps.

Which do you like between those?
The X3 actually works well with tube amps (better than any other Line6 Pod ever has), because you can connect it using the 4 cable method to route delays/mods/reverbs into your effects loop, and all the distortions/amp models to the front of your amp.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by mcw00t
Noob

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

If it's a multi-effects, it's designed to work WITH the preamp in the amp.

Line 6 POD products (like the X3) are modeling preamps. Using them in front of a tube amp is like stacking preamps, which is pretty useless and can sound terrible. Most multi effects are designed to work with your preamp, but Line 6 sound best when used as a preamp direct into a transparent power amp.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
I think some of you guys need to clarify whether you are talking about using the multi fx as a preamp with amp models or just for fx(for example in the fx loop), because there's a good bit of phailage in this thread.
what would happen a tube amp had enough power that the preamp didn't really distort the sound at all?
Yeah if you use something like a POD running it through a PA would sound the best. The PA's have a flat frequency response thats ideal for those things.