I mostly play metal, so what would i want to upgrade first on my VK?
Should i swap out the speaker for something like a V30, or should i find a good OD?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
i do know i'll want both, just short on money and wondering what would benefit me more.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
remember a v30 isnt the only speaker ever made, and an overdrive would probaly give you more gain but go on youtube and try and find videos of a vk with an eq pedal as IMO it makes it sound much better
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
How short on money? TS 808 or fultone ocd.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Valveking+Bad Monkey
Swap out the tubes man...

Your Valve King 100 uses a quad of 6L6's and three 12AX7's so I would go with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and since you're after a heavy high gain style I would use three of the graded high gain JJ ECC83S's. The high gain tubes will still clean up very well. These amps use a short tail phase inverter circuit so no need for a balanced tube and the current output for the V3 tube does not seem to matter like it does in the Classic series Peavey amps. These will fatten up the drive channel and get maximum gain but they will not hurt the clean channel. The amp has a class adjustment knob which varies the bias a bit so just going with a warmer grade for the power tubes will be plug and play.

A full retube with a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's and three high gain ECC83S's would run 102.50 and we can ship them for 9.50 by Priority mail with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

So these amps are what they are which is a cheaply made chinese amp and the clean tone will not get the warmth that the Classic series amps will. That said, they are not bad considering the price and a tube change will get some improvement including a bit more warmth and definition. The high gain stuff should also take you in a good direction.

If you decide to place an order you can do so online ( http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-order.htm ). This is a Comodo certified secure system, but please don't feel obligated to order online you are always welcome to just give us a call at 503-659-7401 during business hours which are from 9AM to 6PM west coast time to place an order personally. You can also place an order by FAX at 503-659-7385. All that's necessary is your shipping address and a VISA, MC, Discover or American Express number including the expiration date. If you decide to order by phone during business hours and you get our voice mail, leave a number and we will call you back!
Quote by mwalluk
Swap out the tubes man...

Your Valve King 100 uses a quad of 6L6's and three 12AX7's so I would go with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's and since you're after a heavy high gain style I would use three of the graded high gain JJ ECC83S's. The high gain tubes will still clean up very well. These amps use a short tail phase inverter circuit so no need for a balanced tube and the current output for the V3 tube does not seem to matter like it does in the Classic series Peavey amps. These will fatten up the drive channel and get maximum gain but they will not hurt the clean channel. The amp has a class adjustment knob which varies the bias a bit so just going with a warmer grade for the power tubes will be plug and play.

A full retube with a matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's and three high gain ECC83S's would run 102.50 and we can ship them for 9.50 by Priority mail with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

So these amps are what they are which is a cheaply made chinese amp and the clean tone will not get the warmth that the Classic series amps will. That said, they are not bad considering the price and a tube change will get some improvement including a bit more warmth and definition. The high gain stuff should also take you in a good direction.

If you decide to place an order you can do so online ( http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-order.htm ). This is a Comodo certified secure system, but please don't feel obligated to order online you are always welcome to just give us a call at 503-659-7401 during business hours which are from 9AM to 6PM west coast time to place an order personally. You can also place an order by FAX at 503-659-7385. All that's necessary is your shipping address and a VISA, MC, Discover or American Express number including the expiration date. If you decide to order by phone during business hours and you get our voice mail, leave a number and we will call you back!
SPAM much ???
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Everyone who owns a VK basically asks the same question, so I give the same answer. That's a e-mail I recieved from someone at eurotubes.com when I asked what tubes would go good with my old VK.
Quote by mwalluk
Everyone who owns a VK basically asks the same question, so I give the same answer. That's a e-mail I recieved from someone at eurotubes.com when I asked what tubes would go good with my old VK.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i think it's pretty much obvious that it will be easier to pick up a decent OD first.. and if that doesn't satisfy you enough, you can try the more "invasive" approaches like changing the speaker and/or tubes
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
EQ pedal then speaker.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I've recently replaced my VK speaker with a Celestion G12T-100... bit warmer than the G12T-75, and doesn't have the mids of a V30.

the gain still sounds horrible though... scratchy and just not nice. think I'll replace my tubes, and get an EQ pedal, when I have a bit more money.

is what the guy said about not needing matched tubes correct for the VK 112? do you not have to bias it either?