I recently ordered a neck from Warmoth, and everything about it seems fine. When I look down the neck, all of the frets look even with each other, no real height differences noticable. I know theres a slight bow in it because when I lay it with the fretboard down, it doesn't touch the table but at the first and last frets, and I'm not worried about that. My question is...when I lay a straightedge (side of an allen wrench) across 3 frets, it "rocks" between the outer ones? It rocks the same amount (from what I can tell) at every fret, and I know that the frets aren't screwed up that much.

Also, I contacted Warmoth about needing a level and dress job for the frets job, and they said depending on how low I want my action, I MIGHT want to get this done. Have any of you who deal with warmoth necks needed any level and dress jobs done?

BTW I can take pictures if you need to see what I'm trying to say.

Thanks in advance.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

To me, it sounds like it is fine.

Maybe put it on a guitar, put on some strings, play it (for the life of the strings), and see what you want to do then.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
A guitar neck is supposed to have a little backbow to it. As a rule of thumb, I've always heard you should be able to get a credit card between the strings and fretboard while holding the first and 13th frets.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Jun 1, 2008,
If the frets were improperly done, it wouldn't rock the same way across the whole neck. In some places it wouldn't rock at all, sometime only one way, etc. You get what I mean. I'm guessing that the neck has a bow (nothing wrong with that), and your truss rod needs adjustment AFTER you string it and set it up.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Right, thats pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Btw I can't string it up on a guitar because I don't have any guitars with a 25'' scale, and it's a 7-string neck, and my 7-string has a 25.5'' scale. Kinda redundant, but meh.

EDIT: the frets are fine, the allen wrench is in fact bent, haha
There's no rock whatsoever, so I'm happy with that.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jun 1, 2008,
The warmoth neck I have on my guitar didnt really need a dress job. I checked but with a proper straightedge. You do know it has a progressive radius board so really isnt flat like your used to. Question is why you ordered a neck for a guitar you dont have.
Haha well if you looked at my sig, you would've seen that theres a build in process
O.S.I.

Check out my profile