Hey guys, this is pretty much not guitar related at all, but I figured some one here's bound to know. How exactly do I go about doing this? Also, how much is it going to cost to get all the necessary cables? Like are we talking this is gonna be something I can just sign up for and get $20 worth of stuff or is it going to be like $100 bill?

The reason I ask is because I used to be really heavily into gaming, but I picked up guitar and haven't touched them much since. I was going to sell my xbox 360 and all the things for it I have and put that towards my guitar/amp fund. BUT, I played a game of Halo multiplayer a few days ago with some friends and I remember why I liked it so much. He told me XBL is now free, but you only get the basic things. Is this correct? Also, what do you get if you pay the fee and how much is the fee?

I may just sell the uncessary things I have like games I don't play anymore, but I'm pretty interested in atleast setting up a free XBL account just for Halo and maybe the occasional Forza.

Also, do I need things like a headset or are those optional? What's the con of not having one? Will I have to type everything I want to say or what?
The free version doesn't really get you anything.

All you need to do is go to pretty much anywhere, Wal-Mart if you want, and buy a subscription card, you can buy 3 months and 12 month cards. 3 months are $20, 12 months is like, $50 or $60.

After that just buy an Ethernet cable to plug your 360 up to your router, go to the live menu on the dashboard, put in the code, and you're on.

EDIT: You should buy the headset, too. If not you're not going to be able to talk to anyone, and you can't type during gameplay or anything, but you can talk.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
First of all, what equipment do you already have? I'm assuming you have a broadband connection, but do you have a router? If so, is it wireless? Once you tell me that I can give you a better idea of how much cable you'll need, etc.

a Live Gold subscription is $49.99 for a year. That gives you full access to everything Live has to offer.

If you are doing online gaming you WILL want a headset. If you don't have one you cannot communicate with your team mates. I think the wired ones start out at around $20-$25 while the wireless ones are $49.99 if memory serves me right.
Not guitar-related? Sh*t, I didn't know the pit was only for guitar-related topics!!

Oh wait, there's something wrong with that isn't there, wait...... yes...... yes I think I know what's wrong with it; the pit IS for non-guitar-related topics.
Well first you need to find some internet.

Then you take the cable directly from the router and into the xbox.

Or you can buy a wireless router specifically designed by Micro$oft for the Xbox which will cost only a small payment of ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS when they probably have a production cost of about $5.
Quote by IUseAPurplePick
The free version doesn't really get you anything.

All you need to do is go to pretty much anywhere, Wal-Mart if you want, and buy a subscription card, you can buy 3 months and 12 month cards. 3 months are $20, 12 months is like, $50 or $60.

After that just buy an Ethernet cable to plug your 360 up to your router, go to the live menu on the dashboard, put in the code, and you're on.

Aw really? I'm somewhat of a cheap bastard, but I can deal with that price. Not too bad at all. I was just thinking if it's pretty much the same thing but with just a few more gadgets and a price tag then why pay, because I probably am not going to use it extensively. I mean I may play a few matches every once in awhile, but not near everyday.

So the set up is pretty simple? Also how much is the cable, and do they have any that extend to about say 20ft? Oh, and if I'm playing will the internet speed be slowed down if someone wants to get on the net?

Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Not guitar-related? Sh*t, I didn't know the pit was only for guitar-related topics!!

Oh wait, there's something wrong with that isn't there, wait...... yes...... yes I think I know what's wrong with it; the pit IS for non-guitar-related topics.

Yeah, that was kinda meant as a joke, clearly you picked it up well
Last edited by edusty2010 at Jun 1, 2008,
You're going to pay $50 a year to just play Halo and occasionally a game of Forza?

Well, $50 isn't that much, I suppose.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by edusty2010

So the set up is pretty simple? Also how much is the cable, and do they have any that extend to about say 20ft? Oh, and if I'm playing will the internet speed be slowed down if someone wants to get on the net?

Yeah, they have 20ft cables. They aren't that expensive. A 50ft one is what, $20?

And you won't notice any change in internet speed.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
If you want to do it wirelessly and have a laptop, you can set your computer to use Internet Connection Sharing in the wireless properties and hook up the ethernet from your xbox to your laptop (much cheaper than the wireless router for xbox)

Also, if you have a credit card available, you can get 8 dollars paid monthly and subscribe. It will add up to be more than the cards, but is better if you don't have 20 or 50 dollars to spend right away.

EDIT: as far as cables go, 20 feet is nothing. I had one back when I had to run it from the downstairs to my upstairs bedroom that was 75 feet.
<Han> I love Hitler
Oh, and FYI network cable usually runs roughly 50-75 cents a foot, depending on brand and where you get it.