Poll: Does art imitate life?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does art imitate life?
yes..art comes from the inside
16 36%
no..art is purley made up
1 2%
sometime life can inspire art
23 52%
it cant be explained
4 9%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 2
As a kid I was in the library a lot drawing with friends. We would
make up comics and things...

One day an old man came up to me...He had a request.

He asked that I draw a large hairy beast. He asked me to give it
a couple heads. Then he asked me to give it arms. After that he
asked me to give it wings. After about 5 mins I had a Miraculous
beast. After I finished ..

he asked me if I had any idea what it was?
I replied *no..not at all..will you tell me what it is?*

He said ..*I dont know what it is, but you created it. That means that
it exists within you.* He told me that sometimes as an artists we can
give life to the emotions that are within us because art imitates life.
He also said that an artist should look at their art as a reflection of
the spirit inside. He thought that an artist that constantly creates the
same thing may be caught up on the same emotion. He suggested that
art be created to balance out the bad and the good. His opinion was
that art can be evidence what truly lies in our heart. He also believed
an artists can create art to add harmony to their life.

opinions?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Art is structured <insert medium here>. There is nothing magical or metaphysical about it. Some people choose to draw upon their emotions when creating art, or to assign emotion to art they've created. That's fine, but it's really not the only way.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Thats beautiful and I don't know what to say because a lot of my music used to be horrifying.

I read once that Steve Vai used to have a very dark playing style, but he said he changed it because it made him too depressed. So he began to change himself and his playing style, his personality and playing sort of paralleled each other.
I wish I could pick all four options. It's a big part of my life, but I have no idea what it actually is.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
That old man was a true artist. I would loved to have met him.

Art comes from within. All artwork was created long before they started to be painted, or whatever other medium being used. It exists inside you. You are merely the channel for the art to come in to the world.

But then it can be completely made up on the spot. And that is still art.

Art cannot be explained in words. Art explains itself to you.
Last edited by Aramis at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by Aramis
That old man was a true artist. I would loved to have met him.

Art comes from within. All artwork was created long before they started to be painted, or whatever other medium being used. It exists inside you. You are merely the channel for the art to come in to the world.

But then it can be completely made up on the spot. And that is still art.

Art cannot be explained in words. Art explains itself to you.

Art can easily be explained in words.
I made this because I wanted to express <insert meaning here>.

There is nothing metaphysical or supernatural about art. Art is a structured medium that other people find aesthetically pleasing or assign some sort of emotional value or meaning to. It doesn't "exist inside of you" as anything other than a diffuse firing of neurons in the brain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

There is nothing metaphysical or supernatural about art. Art is a structured medium that other people find aesthetically pleasing or assign some sort of emotional value or meaning to. It doesn't "exist inside of you" as anything other than a diffuse firing of neurons in the brain.

wow man, that's really enlightening. I mean who KNEW that everything that happens as a result of brain activity is actually just a result of BRAIN ACTIVITY? you're really pushing the interpretive boundaries, my friend, give yourself a self-righteous pat on the back.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
wow man, that's really enlightening. I mean who KNEW that everything that happens as a result of brain activity is actually just a result of BRAIN ACTIVITY? you're really pushing the interpretive boundaries, my friend, give yourself a self-righteous pat on the back.

What in the hell are you talking about?
Quote by Archeo Avis
What in the hell are you talking about?
He was being sarcastic, but in a bizarre twist, stripping his words of their sarcasm reveals the truth.

I'm about as shallow a musician you can find, so I of course find the whole idea ridiculous.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
He was being sarcastic

I know. It seems to be some sort of insult, but I'm really not sure what his point is.
I think life inspires art. Like when you're depressed you tend to write depressing music ect.

I think the only thing that comes from inside in art is your imagination. Also, was that guy stoned?
An emotion displayed by your actions is far more alive than an emotion displayed in your art.

Art just lasts longer.

Original story is happy dappy bs to make artists feel special.

Glen'sHeroicAct, lying is not 'pushing interpretive boundries'. The fact is that science can describe, up to a point, how the brain works to make you feel emotions- basing this on a wish for the supernatural with no supporting evidence is idiotic. Archeo Avis' point is valid.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm about as shallow a musician you can find, so I of course find the whole idea ridiculous.
Just doing it to pick up guys, right?
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
^was it you or Mr Prime that said the only two things that motivate people to do things in life is food and sex?
Quote by 12345abcd3
Also, was that guy stoned?
Would it matter if he was?
As an artist, I choose to ignore science and rationality and continue to believe in these ideals, the holistic realization that art provides.

I do this out of necessity; without it, I would lose purpose.
I play because I like how it sounds, I don't need anything more than that.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by Archeo Avis

I agree that its nothing supernatural, to put it simply, it is an expression of ones self. It does come from inside of you though, you are the source that creates it so theofore it comes from you.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Hold up. The thread title asks if life imitates art, which is of course ridiculous, save a shooting inspired by a movie or something, but then the poll says it the other way around. What are you asking?

My opinion is that of course our feelings and experiences influence our playing! Do you think something like Metallica's "Dyers Eve" was made by happy people?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Hold up. The thread title asks if life imitates art, which is of course ridiculous, save a shooting inspired by a movie or something, but then the poll says it the other way around. What are you asking?

My opinion is that of course our feelings and experiences influence our playing! Do you think something like Metallica's "Dyers Eve" was made by happy people?

Agreed, and we play guitar because we want to express these emotions.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
It obviously comes from the artist, but I don't think that the "Art" is just sitting inside of you waiting to be unleashed or some corny **** like that.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

The old man (who was very sober..an artist himself) said that he believes that
art imitates life because the artist creates the art. He said that art can be used
to see what's inside of a person that they might not normally see. If they do the
same type of art all the time ..they may have that feeling of that art as the most
dominant feeling in their life.
I.E> people that always do depressing art...it could be depression on a subconscious
level...

He also believed that life imitates art...because since the artists creates the art..
they can changed their own feelings with it. So basically an artist can look at
their portfolio and theoretically see an imbalance in their life if it exists. This could
mean that if a person is always doing depressing art...their behavior may change
if they start doing more happy art..even if they dont believe it..

His statements were running along the parallel of Cognitive Psychology...

Changing the way u think ...changes the way u feel...and changing the stimuli
that trigger our feelings may also change our lives. art may be a reflection of the feelings...and repeated patterns of art may give an insight to the mental status of a person. kinda like the ink blot test..where the person sees murder every time..lol

Over the years ..ive seen troubled youth get into artists that constantly have
negative messages. So it made me wonder how far this goes. It seems to me
that if..you always choose the same type of art to enjoy..one emotion may be
overpowering everything in your life. (like violence). It can be euphoric hippie
type art where everything is perfect and the person has lost reality with life..
sort of an escape.

It doesnt mean the feeling of one piece of art represents the spirit of the artist..
It simply means that an overwhelming degree of art that represents the same
emotion may mean that the artist has lost balance in their life. He shared it to me
to present a way to prevent a state of mind that is not healthy.

since there is both Scientific and Spiritual powers at work here...I thought it
would be cool to get both points of view...
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 1, 2008,
I.E> people that always do depressing art...it could be depression on a subconscious
level...

Hmm, I kind of disagree there.

http://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=beksinski&um=1

Quote by Wikipedia
Beksiński's art was gloomy and grim, though he himself was known to be a pleasant person, and though somewhat shy, took enjoyment from conversation.

Possibly. If somebody was to play a part in a film where their character had been abused as a child, and they make a great job of it, does that make them an angry person?

Again, possibly, but not certainly.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by J.A.M

http://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=beksinski&um=1

Possibly. If somebody was to play a part in a film where their character had been abused as a child, and they make a great job of it, does that make them an angry person?

Good points.

Thats some cool art btw. I would say though that you can be depressed, and still come across as friendly & pleasant to people. I don't know what the guy was like, buy my guess is that the art is an indicator of what he was feeling deep inside, or he has a sick and twisted imagination....... or maybe a bit of both.

Also I agree with you regarding Metallica. I think in they are sort of actors in a way, and their image is somewhat of a "put on".
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 1, 2008,
Also I agree with you regarding Metallica. I think in they are sort of actors in a way, and their image is somewhat of a "put on".

Perhaps; Hetfields' mother died of cancer, because she didn't want medical help, because she believed God would save her.

Metallica have a song called The God That Failed.

^ There will always be exceptions. I think art can affect someone but not always. Art isn't concrete like science.
My exact thoughts.
Call me Batman.
What that old guy said about the crazy winged monster existing within you is retarded. All it means is that you know what heads, wings, and other appendages look like, and that he may have thought it up as an exercise in creating art.

Art is just people creating symbols to represent ideas, concepts or objects.

The only interesting thing is that art did not manifest itself in our evolutionary time line until homo sapiens sapiens came about. Maybe it means that there is a soul that only our species (or subspecies if you follow that thought) has, making us completely special and above all other forms of life.

More likely, it might simply mean that our species' (or subspecies') brain is capable of symbolic logic, while other those of other species are not.

But seriously, I'm taking an anthropology class right now that focuses on the evolution of our species and we've been talking a lot about art and its amazingly sudden emergence. Of course, maybe we were capable of it all along and it was just a cultural innovation that took a while to develop, as most of early art is interpreted to be some kind of hunting ritual.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by J.A.M

Thats not the point at all..The old man was talking about when an artists creates
the same type of art all the time. It could simply mean that he has issues...

One piece of art..or performance is not even an issue.

Zdzisław Beksiński was found stabbed 17 times...that is not very different from
the grotesque things he created. His wife died suddenly...his son committed
suicide. Very coincidental for a man obsessed with death..
Art is just people creating symbols to represent ideas, concepts or objects.

The only interesting thing is that art did not manifest itself in our evolutionary time line until homo sapiens sapiens came about. Maybe it means that there is a soul that only our species (or subspecies if you follow that thought) has, making us completely special and above all other forms of life.

If you define art as symbolic, as you have, then it is by no means exclusive to humanity. Other primate species create objects will symbolic meanings relating to concepts such as mating.

Everybody dies. The fact that a man obsessed with death would experience death around him is nothing spectacular.
Anything sounds unusual or extraordinary if you phrase it correctly.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Thats not the point at all..The old man was talking about when an artists creates
the same type of art all the time. It could simply mean that he has issues...

One piece of art..or performance is not even an issue.

The problem with associating one's art with their environment is the direction of causation.

It's impossible to know for certain whether a depressed person who writes depressing music is depressed because of the music he writes, or whether he writes depressing music because of how depressed he is.

Take a look at what happened to Heath Ledger. I've heard tons of stories about how he may have committed suicide because he became so involved in his portrayal of the Joker in the upcoming Batman movie. However, we can't know for sure if that was what happened, or if he was incredibly depressed and suicidal in the first place, and was just funneling those emotions into his character. I guess once the movie comes out, we'll be able to know a bit better than we can know now.

Edit:
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you define art as symbolic, as you have, then it is by no means exclusive to humanity. Other primate species create objects will symbolic meanings relating to concepts such as mating.

What other primate species have done that? Don't say that Neandertals have, because, for one, we are not certain whether or not they were actually a distinct species from us, and two, they didn't create any forms of art until after Anatomically Modern Humans (or Homo sapiens sapiens or Homo sapiens depending on which theories you are using) entered Europe.

Edit again: And don't confuse art with tools. Sophisticated tool use goes back to the Oldowan tool industry from around 1.8 million years ago (give or take a couple hundred thousand), but objects that were not directly created for use as tools haven't been found before around 100-150 thousand years ago. We have a replica at my school that we examined in lab of one object that appears to be an incredibly thin stone blade that would have taken an absurd amount of energy to create. It looks amazing, it's about a foot long and about a quarter of an inch at its thickest, but it would probably break if it was actually used to cut something. Objects like this, according to what has been excavated so far, are exclusive to our species and are found abundantly after a certain point in time.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Last edited by seedmole at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by seedmole
The problem with associating one's art with their environment is the direction of causation.

It's impossible to know for certain whether a depressed person who writes depressing music is depressed because of the music he writes, or whether he writes depressing music because of how depressed he is.

Take a look at what happened to Heath Ledger. I've heard tons of stories about how he may have committed suicide because he became so involved in his portrayal of the Joker in the upcoming Batman movie. However, we can't know for sure if that was what happened, or if he was incredibly depressed and suicidal in the first place, and was just funneling those emotions into his character. I guess once the movie comes out, we'll be able to know a bit better than we can know now.

Edit:

What other primate species have done that? Don't say that Neandertals have, because, for one, we are not certain whether or not they were actually a distinct species from us, and two, they didn't create any forms of art until after Anatomically Modern Humans (or Homo sapiens sapiens or Homo sapiens depending on which theories you are using) entered Europe.

Or option C: He didn't kill himself.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Or option C: He didn't kill himself.

I smell a very interesting E True Hollywood Story!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I thought all we knew was the he overdosed on drugs. Wasn't it unclear whether or not it was suicide?

It was ruled accidental.
I thought it was the standard media glossover re: stigma on mental illness and all that? No note, so we'll spin it accidental to "save face"

At least that's my interpretation.
As if somebody would really accidentally take that many sleeping pills or whatever they were...
Quote by seedmole
As if somebody would really accidentally take that many sleeping pills or whatever they were...
I don't think you "get" drugs. How many overdoses do you think are intentional? Not every addict wants to kill themselves.

Jesus, a healthy dose of logic is needed in this thread. Seriously.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Corwinoid
I don't think you "get" drugs. How many overdoses do you think are intentional? Not every addict wants to kill themselves.

Jesus, a healthy dose of logic is needed in this thread. Seriously.

True... but everybody knows that swallowing 20 sleeping pills (<-- that = my speculation, I forget the details of how they found his body) doesn't result in just having a great night's sleep.
Prescription medication is normally designed so that the level required to OD is far, far more than the required dosage. Anything more dangerous is supposed to be administered by a doctor. This is my understanding of the system.

I don't think this is really relevant.

Yes, seeing as most of his work was done before these events. Although, if his son committed suicide, why? Was his father under similar conditions and instead painted his way out of his problems?
Call me Batman.
Page 1 of 2