Pardon me for not knowing what I'm doing, but I just recently got an M-Audio Firewire Solo, and I can't figure out how to get my bass to play through both channels, in other words I can only hear it in the right ear of my headphones. Anyone have personal experience with the Solo, or that don't but have an idea anyway, of how to fix this? The manual isn't much help.
Last edited by adion at Jun 1, 2008,
You probably recorded the track as a stereo track. Depending on the software you're using you may have to rerecord. When using a single (mono) channel be sure and select mono for the corresponding track in your recording software.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I actually haven't recorded anything yet, I merely plugged the bass into the guitar input and started playing. Maybe I'm wrong to expect to be able to hear through both sides..? I'll try recording a track in GarageBand and see what happens.
I'm assuming you're plugged into the guitar jack in the front? Where are your headphones plugged into?

Please describe your setup better.

Thanks
DS
Made up statistic
Yup, I plugged into the guitar jack on the front, and my headphones are plugged into the 1/4" headphone jack also on the front. The Solo is connected to my Macbook Pro via firewire (obviously). I changed the sound settings for both output and input on my computer to 'FireWire Solo Multichannel', but there could be something I missed somewhere that has to do with channels
Is there a FireWire Solo Singlechannel option?
Made up statistic
No single channel option. Only multichannel.

I finally got an XLR cable for my condenser mic and when I plugged it in, I discovered that it only comes through on the left channel. So microphone input = left channel; guitar input = right channel. I'm just looking for a way to have them balanced across both channels.
I had trouble with that too when I first got it...you just have to select the track in garageband, press view track info, and change the input source to mono (channel 1 is mic, channel 2 guitar, and 3 and 4 are the back inputs).
Ah, thanks mash71. I guess I was just looking for a fix within the Firewire Solo control panel. Doesn't change anything when I'm not recording in Garageband though, but when I'm just playing I've found I can balance the right channel across both sides (if that makes sense...)