eh? i just think of it. just randomly simulate it in my head. sometimes i sing it. i got recordings on my cell phone of my singing guitar riffs i don't want to forget. but the bad thing is that i'll play half of it with my band. you know? it's kind of frustrating.

discuss how you do it

edit: referring to the musical composition, not lyrics
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
Last edited by zep123 at Jun 1, 2008,
but the bad thing is that i'll play half of it with my band. you know? it's kind of frustrating.
I dont understand

i just think of it. just randomly simulate it in my head. sometimes i sing it. i got recordings on my cell phone of my singing guitar riffs i don't want to forget.
That sounds a lot like me!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I'll start by deciding on a mood or atmosphere that I want to convey to the listener, and will generally pick a name for the piece that aesthetically resembles the mood I'm trying to get across (none of my song names have any direct meaning behind them, and are chosen exclusively for the aesthetic quality of their pronunciation)

After choosing a name, I'll decide on the general length and structure of the piece. I'll decide on the key(s), the chords, the time signature(s),and the syncopation. I'll sit down and plan out the song in near mathematical detail on paper (not literally on paper (sometimes literally)) I actually find that it's helpful to put the details of the piece on paper. Sometimes I'll even draw a graph representing the overall "tension" throughout the song.

Only after I've done all this will I even touch my guitar and start coming up with the theme and melody.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I dont understand

i mean that most of my music will never be played. i have a few notebooks with tabs/lyrics/notes and only a few songs will be played.
Archeo
They're some really good ideas, but you'd have to always write it on paper otherwise you'd forget it all wouldn't you? I forget the simplest things if I don't write them down or record them.

But yeah, cool method!

i mean that most of my music will never be played. i have a few notebooks with tabs/lyrics/notes and only a few songs will be played.
Side-project?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

i don't have that much time for a side project.

archeo, do you really do all that?
To the Archeo guy... wow, that is really really boring.

I just hear things and get inspiration. A tune pops up in my head. I record me singing or humming it on my phone then I get home and translate and build a song around the one small tune.
Quote by zep123
i don't have that much time for a side project.

archeo, do you really do all that?

Absolutely. I certainly allow room for changes if I develop something better later on (I'm not going to insist on using <insert time signature here> for the interlude if it sounds terrible), but having rigid guidelines set up in advances lets me worry about developing the theme of the song without having to worry about drifting aimlessly. Working within a tight box gives me a sense of direction.

It's like building a house; you don't just start throwing furniture together, you start with the blueprints and the framework, and you deal with the little aesthetic details later.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 1, 2008,
I usually get an idea for a riff or lead break, solo, whatever in my head and I record it on my little tape recorder so I don't lose it. I also tend to tab it out so I can remember exactly where it was. Then I usually come back to it at a later time and, at first, see if I still like the piece. If so, I start working out different bits and pieces around it until I eventually have the whole song.
Why do you think that?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Guitar Sushi

I happen to find songwriting very enjoyable. Enjoyable enough that I don't feel like sitting around and waiting pointlessly for "inspiration".

Now would probably be a good time to shamelessly plug some of my work. The reason it seems to "jump" suddenly into different themes is because I haven't bothered to input most of it (the completed work is 10+ minutes)

Train of Thought (Power Tab)

And another one that I just recently started working on (I'll be the first to admit that I can't write a decent melody to save my life. Most of my melody, as this piece shows, is pointless and wandering. I care more about atmosphere than "catchiness")

Angel Dust
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Arch can't write music! All he does is rip of G# Locrian pieces from google!

Tee hee. I remember that.
Arch, I guess it's no coincidence I hear Dream Theater and Final Fantasy?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Arch, I guess it's no coincidence I hear Dream Theater and Final Fantasy?

Nobuo is a God, yes. It is no surprise that he has influenced me and, yes, everyone, with his divine skill. The Waltz section of Train of Thought features a direct quote from Uematsu's Castle, from Final Fantasy VIII.
Shmeh, never played the games, but I watched a video about him after I saw your raving.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Archeo Avis - right at the start of the second piece that you posted, the bars switch from 3/4 to 5/4 back to 3/4 etc. Why is this, and would it not be easier if it was all in 4/4?
Last edited by michal23 at Jun 1, 2008,
3+5=8?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Yeah, it would be easier if it was in 4/4, but Archeo has deliberately made it 3 and 5 to more accurately describe the music. See how the first part of the riff is obviously 3 beats long and the second part 5? If someone was reading/playing it and it was notated in 4/4, they would expect a strong beat to be on the 5th beat of the riff, when in fact they're a beat late.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Yeah, it would be easier if it was in 4/4, but Archeo has deliberately made it 3 and 5 to more accurately describe the music. See how the first part of the riff is obviously 3 beats long and the second part 5? If someone was reading/playing it and it was notated in 4/4, they would expect a strong beat to be on the 5th beat of the riff, when in fact they're a beat late.

Oh I see - so it's mainly about showing where the accents are?
Yep.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Aenimus is correct. Notating it in 4/4 just makes it incredibly awkward for the performer. My music changes time signatures often enough that it's far easier to just notate it in whatever way makes it easier to perform.