Poll: What is most important to your sound?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is most important to your sound?
The player
20 50%
The players skill/experience
13 33%
The guitar itself
3 8%
The amp you use
6 15%
All play and equal roll
16 40%
Voters: 40.
Poll coming.

What plays the biggest factor in the quality of your sound?

EDIT: Option 5: An equal roll
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Jun 1, 2008,
Define "sound".

Tone is the product of your gear, with a minuscule amount attributable to your fingers in the form of pick attack, picking distance from the bridge etc.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Just sounding good in general.

Alot of people differ on what part plays the biggest factor, so I thought I'd make a poll...

And... I just remembered the search bar...

sorry
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

The player/players skills and experience. I don't know why these are seperate options. But yeah, a players style is what makes their sound unique

The guitar itself. Not important in my opinion.

The amp you use. I would also add effects to this, these are what makes a players sound good.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
The poll is set so you can select more then one option.

Guitars, in particular the wood used or the pickups themselves play a significant roll, in my opinion.

And not all players use effects.
Quote by Article

I chose the players experience/the player. Sure you can spend thousands of dollars on high-end, expensive equipment, but that doesn't mean jack squat if you don't know what you're doing.
And not all players use effects.
Not all players use amps.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Point taken.
Quote by Article

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Guitars, in particular the wood used or the pickups themselves play a significant roll, in my opinion.
With the amount of signal processing available these days, the difference between great wood and okay wood is nada IMMHOHO.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
With the amount of signal processing available these days, the difference between great wood and okay wood is nada IMMHOHO.

I believe it. But there are some people who, for example, will only play Gibson Les Pauls because of the mahogany body and they believe that it is essential to their sound and anything else simply falls short. I am not that anal about tone wood, but I certainly wouldn't play a guitar made of plywood.
Quote by Article

I say its the player...

You can give a new player one funk chord and he can tear the house
down with a nice groovy bass line..

I know skill is the most important things..but you dont have to have
a whole lot of skill either to make a hit. You can simply tune to an open
tuning and get beautiful bar chords....a lot of the greatest songs of our
time were simple songs..

I dont have Joe Satrianni's guitar skills but..i dont need them to make a
great song....although..I'm pretty sure i would suddenly take ill if i had to
go on stage behind him...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
All are equal but, amp+effects are secondary, really, a skillfull player should be able to make an encore sound like a Jackson.
I remember a while ago I read something about Steve Vai, who was trying to recreate Eddie Van Halen's tone, and just couldn't nail it. When Eddie Van Halen played on Steve Vai's guitar, it sounded just like him, suggesting that the player does have a large influence upon the overall sound.
I agree with the player having the biggest role, i've seen people with really good equip. that had a tinny horrible sound; and others that could pretty much play a squire through a gorrila practice amp and make it sound full.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Well imo, the player/players skill is the MOST important factor, if you can't play well you can't expect to sound good reasonably. The player chooses the notes, plays the notes (in the right or wrong way) and determines how that particular piece should sound.
Gear is a secondary factor that bolsters what the player already has, by e.g. changing the tone. The most important factor in changing tone is the amp so the amp is the second most important factor....
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by bangoodcharlote

actually the quality of wood makes a difference in tone. Regarding signal processing..... I'll take a nice boutique amp and a real deal Fender or Gibson with absolutely no signal processing, over a processed sound any day.

to the TS:

it all matters. but if the player sucks, the gear is a non-issue

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
But there are some people who, for example, will only play Gibson Les Pauls because of the mahogany body and they believe that it is essential to their sound and anything else simply falls short.

Thats true. They not only "believe" it..... .they "know" it from experience.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 1, 2008,
Yes, but an ok player WILL sound better if he's using a brilliant amp. Amp affects tone a lot. More so than the guitar. So if you have a crap guitar and a great amp you'll sound better than if you have a mind boggling guitar and a tiny cube made in china. That's an obviously hyperbolic, but it makes the point.

As for my "sound", I haven't found it yet. I don't like the way I sound.