im looking to buy a strat and i only have around$500 so i was wondering which would be better for red hot chili peppers type stuff. The Fender Standard HSS Strat or the fender standard.

and on the HSS is there a way to switch off the humbucker so that you only play throught the single coils?
i say go with the standard and that way if you find that you want the humbuckers later on then you can always go with a hotrail instlation its fairly cheep and its easy if you want to do it your self.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
i say go with the standard and that way if you find that you want the humbuckers later on then you can always go with a hotrail instlation its fairly cheep and its easy if you want to do it your self.

i agree with him
that's what i did.
although i liked the original bridge pickup, it broke on me, so needing a new one anyway, i went for the hot rails.

i love that guitar.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Go with the Standard. If you find that $500 isn't enough, check out some of the 1970's lawsuit Strats (Ibanez, Tokai, and Fernandes) Their great sounding and great quality guitars. If they weren't Gibson & Fender wouldn't have sued them.
i have a standard strat and just got a hss as well. i really like the hss, to me the bridge pup used alone on a standard strat is just too harsh. the bridge humbucker on the hss is much fatter.

yes there are switching options to play only through the single coils for a nice classic strat sound, there is even one setting that uses just one of the humbucker coils. s1 switching also gives a nice variety of parallel combinations.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Squier Vintage modified fat stratocaster it's cheaper and equal quality

for the money you save buy a good bridge pickup and maybe a single coil
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
i own a HSS and dont have any problem with it, although i really like the tone of a standard strat. Either one of those would do just fine as they are both great and versitile guitars

and as for switching off the humbucked you can just use the middle or neck pickup.
Does a "hot rail" use the same space on the pickguard? I bought a custom pickguard and would like a fatter tone on my bridge, could someone link me to a good one if it doesnt require a new pickguard?

EDIT: NM, I figured it out. now to find some sound samples of SHR-1, SCR-1 and SVR-1 both clean and dirty...

another edit: cool i found the samples on the site.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Last edited by SovietSpartan at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by TheVelvetGlove
well over all is the HSS just a standard but has that extra humbucker option if you need it?

its a regular strat with a humbucker pickup replacing the single coil pickup closer to the bridge. but a strat with a humbucker in it is irrelevant because you dont get the strat sound with it.

strats use single coil pickups and single coil pickups give you a sharp and thin sound.. where humbuckers are thick and fat and give you a more synthesized sound..and the bridge pickup is where a guitar tone is sharpest and thinnest... if that makes sense.

you wont get the strat tone with that humbucker on it.

i bought a strat to have that strat tone on all ends.. i owned a HSS for about two hours .. having a humbucker instead of a single coil on a strat just drove me nuts and i took it back.

besides.. when you have a stratocasters pickup selection on bridge/middle and middle/neck position, you technically get a humbucker setting anyways.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by pepsi1187
its a regular strat with a humbucker pickup instead of a single coil pickup in the neck.

but having a humbucker on a strat is kind of irrelvant. i bought a strat to have that strat tone.. i tried out a HSS and having a humbucker instead of a single coil in the guitar just drove me nuts.

besides .. when you have a stratocasters pickup selection on bridge/middle and middle/neck position, you technically get a humbucker setting anyways.

By neck you mean bridge, right?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
By neck you mean bridge, right?

yeah i edited my last post.
Quote by SquierLolz
it's cheaper and equal quality

No. Just no. If that statement were true everyone with a MIM strat would be totting a squier. Its cool if you prefer a squier but don't try and pass off comments like that which are blatantly not true.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
No. Just no. If that statement were true everyone with a MIM strat would be totting a squier. Its cool if you prefer a squier but don't try and pass off comments like that which are blatantly not true.

I heard that First Act guitars are much better quality becuase they were made by the delicate hands of children in third world countries. These highly skilled workers start at a very young age and know nothing other than making guitars. It's as if they were bred for one thing, and one thing only, to become child luthiers. Why would anyone want to purchase a guitar made by an adult, whose mind has been clouded by outside influences, and may just be making guitars to turn a profit. These child workers create these works of art in order to survive and receive their monthly ration of rice. The only way these guitars could be more perfect, is if the wood came from the Ents. These once mighty trees contained wood that was so magical, it allowed them to actually speak the words of men. The woods of today can only resonate or sustain the vibrations which pass through them, but the wood of Ents could create music of their own.

But what happened to this magical wood? Well, that is another story for another day...
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)