View poll results: emo genre to blame?
Music affects your will to live
2 6%
Its all a bunch of sh**
21 60%
I couldnt care either way.
11 31%
Voters: 35.
so, after Hannah Bonds died, they blames the "emo" genre and My Chemical Romance as a reason behind her death. Do you think the music ppl listen to affects their reason to live? or is all of that just a bunch of crap??
Hannah Bonds died because she was most likely brought up wrong and her parents didn't smack her enough or hug her enough. She had no reason to kill herself, and the reason she did was simply idiotic.

Music affects people, it's undeniable. I can definitly imagine that if I heard the wrong song at the absolute wrong time it could compel me to FOLLOW THROUGH with the thought of taking my own life, considering that that thought probably wouldn't have been far behind anyway.

Music doesn't cause people to commit suicide. Depression, cries for help, and bad judgement do
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Kankuro
I choose you Ivysaur

You made te wrong choice, sir. Charmander, GO!!!!!

Anyway, yes I think the music people listen to affects their life. But I don't think it is enough to make someone kill themself, I think they'd already have to have problems in the first place. I just don't think listening to the music helps. Its like thinking listening to Alice in Chains while you're in heroin withdrawal is going to make you feel better.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
as much as I dislike emo, this is a load of crap, if anything that girl was listening to that music because she was already having issues with depression and perhaps suicide ideation. But alas the people who really carry the blame (mainly the parents, and most of the "adult world") need some sort of lame scapegoat, I'm tired of this shit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Music affects you only temporarily, changes or heightens your emotions for a period of time, I don't think it has long term effects necessarily.
The problem is that you've got teenage kids with no experience in life and in general, horrible taste in music that, in their youth, are easily influenced.
Because of this they like to blow things out of proportion and pretend their lives are an absolute living nightmare, which it is very, very far from.
I don't think it's the parenting, half the people I've known or met who are "emo" have a practically ideal life, they just like to cry and pretend they have problems because on occasion their parents scream at them. Deal with it.
On the other hand, though, obviously these kids have proven themselves to be emotionally unstable and in general complete idiots.
From that point of view, I could care less and would even say that I'm glad they finish themselves off so they don't burden society and myself further. Social Darwinism so to speak.
I can't decide which one I believe in more, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Quote by Kankuro
^ No No No.....

Kangaskhan (sp?)

You're going to have to sacrifice one turn, and by the time you do that, my Charmander will have already scorched your little bitch of an Ivysaur cause he's faster.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

What seems more convenient for the parents?

"We blame our bad parenting and zero-to-little communication with our daughter as to why she killed herself"

or

"We blame the anti-suicide band that she happened to listen to a lot"
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by WinterMadness76
d pretend their lives are an absolute living nightmare, which it is very, very far from.
I don't think it's the parenting, half the people I've known or met who are "emo" have a practically ideal life, they just like to cry and pretend they have problems because on occasion their parents scream at them. Deal with it.

I think this is a rather foolish assumption, to outsiders I appeared to have an "ideal life" but in reality my parents treated me like absolute shit, sure you some peopel are like that, but you should never make that assumption until you know exactly whats going on, and remember that emotional abuse and/or neglect can be just as bad if not worse in the long run than physical abuse/neglect.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
What seems more convenient for the parents?

"We blame our bad parenting and zero-to-little communication with our daughter as to why she killed herself"

or

"We blame the anti-suicide band that she happened to listen to a lot"

he wins the thread.
Quote by Kankuro
^ Yeah but.....he can evolve...and stuff.

He won't be able to evolve until he beats my Charmander. And further more, this early in the game he wouldn't be even close to evolving into a Venusaur, and since we're not even that far out of Viridian City, the likeliness that you'll have any other decent Pokemon is slim and none, except for maybe a lame Metapod, or maybe a Pidgey. Its your move, cowboy.

..Anyway.. Parents and the media have a habit of latching on to anything they don't understand as a means of taking the blame off of themselves for bad things happening. Its pretty easy to blame music instead of just pointing out how fucked up our society is.
Quote by vintage x metal

It depends from person to person...
And their will in the first place.
But generally it will affect people in many ways.
Call me Jeff if you want, I prefer that.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
He won't be able to evolve until he beats my Charmander. And further more, this early in the game he wouldn't be even close to evolving into a Venusaur, and since we're not even that far out of Viridian City, the likeliness that you'll have any other decent Pokemon is slim and none, except for maybe a lame Metapod, or maybe a Pidgey. Its your move, cowboy.

..Anyway.. Parents and the media have a habit of latching on to anything they don't understand as a means of taking the blame off of themselves for bad things happening. Its pretty easy to blame music instead of just pointing out how fucked up our society is.

What?! I pictured this battle in Lavender town. Ok, your Charmandser takes down my Ivysaur, but I've recently just fed my Magikarp 26 rare candy's and now Gyrados is about to bring the thunder on your feeble fire lizard.
666 BRO
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I think this is a rather foolish assumption, to outsiders I appeared to have an "ideal life" but in reality my parents treated me like absolute shit, sure you some peopel are like that, but you should never make that assumption until you know exactly whats going on, and remember that emotional abuse and/or neglect can be just as bad if not worse in the long run than physical abuse/neglect.

True, but it's still blown way out of proportion in the majority of cases and the kids that have REALLY ****ed up lives and I mean much, much worse than what "emo kids" go through don't act emo, those are the one's you can tell are sociopathic.
I guess some people just aren't mentally and emotionally strong enough to pull themselves up and they let their emotions run rampant.
Sucks to be those people.
Quote by Kankuro
What?! I pictured this battle in Lavender town. Ok, your Charmandser takes down my Ivysaur, but I've recently just fed my Magikarp 26 rare candy's and now Gyrados is about to bring the thunder on your feeble fire lizard.

You can't feed your Magikarp 26 rare candies mid-battle. That is like trying to capture my pokemon in battle. If you're going to just cheat like that, I'm calling in my level 99 Mewtwo that happened to by wandering around while we were battling that I caught with my masterball.
Quote by vintage x metal

Pfft. Poke-rules. Well..... I called my level 99 Blaziken from his job interview to destroy Mewtwo (Yeah, he's a newer Pokemon).
666 BRO
Quote by Kankuro
Pfft. Poke-rules. Well..... I called my level 99 Blaziken from his job interview to destroy Mewtwo (Yeah, he's a newer Pokemon).

Then I call Reptar, dick.

...You know who I blame for suicide? Elvis. He started it all.
Quote by vintage x metal

the lulz this pokemon battle has helped me achieve is in the near EPIC prportions

No Scratch that

Its UBEREPIC

Yeah i said it
This is like the whole Columbine ordeal.
It isn't the people who write the music's fault, it's the instability of the child before that causes problems.
If a kid is influenced in a negative way because of the music, they were unstable to begin with.
You're not brutal.

(click the smiley!)

Quote by Kankuro
I choose you Ivysaur

haha It's funny cause Ivysaur is shit

has no signature.
I'd just like to point out that I have never once seen somebody on this site even remotely entertain the notion that there was any basis behind the whole "Suicide Solution" fiasco back in the '80s, but I've seen a few defend the parents' views on this one.

Not pointing out anybody, just sayin'.