And it was an Alvarez 5022 - a Japanese made acoustic that he bought in the 70's. Oh my god does this thing play like a dream (granted, the strings haven't been changed in years, which I will be fixing soon).

I normally don't even like playing acoustic guitar, but this thing is too good not to play. My dad said it was better that I took it, than it sit in the piano room gathering dust. I'm excited.

Anyone else have an experience with this guitar?

P.S. I would like to find out exactly what year it was made, but I read that Alvarez's are particularly difficult to date.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
You heard right. Early Alvarez guitars are hard to date precisely. If it were an Alvarez/Yairi then it would be a different story. There are better records for those. That's the problem, Alvarez, and at the time, St. Louis Music kept paper records, but not forever. The transition to Loud Tech. made it nearly impossible to access some of the older records, including build dates. If you want to ask someone who may know, head over to the Alvarez message board and ask Yairiluvr. He's been around quite a while now and has access to a lot of info.
I can tell you that the 5022 model was discontinued in 1998, but beyond that, you'll need to do some serious digging. Good luck.
I guess I'll have to poke around a bit. I should be able to get pictures up later this afternoon.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
Congrats on the Alvarez...My Fiance's Grandpa has a 5013 from the late 70's or early 80's and it's a very nice playing geetaar...Does your's have the star inlays? His does, Maybe that will be able to help you to get close to pin-pointing the year?
Pictures are here!

Front:

Back:

Headstock (Front):

Headstock (Back):

Body Closeup:

Alvarez Sticker (Inside Body - You can't see it in the picture, but it says "Made in Japan" at the bottom):

Extreme Angle (For the sake of extreme angle pictures):

As you can see, it's pretty old and dusty. It needs a cleaning and some new strings really badly.

Let me know if the pictures don't come out for you, my computer seems to be having a problem with them.

Quote by vintage x metal
Last edited by Thebridge at Jun 1, 2008,
Beautiful guitar, I'm not a fan of the inlays but overall it is a beautiful guitar. Looks to be in good shape too.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
The pictures didn't show up for me

Me neither...

I got an old classical guitar that my Mum got for £5 at a car boot sale...it's not that good really.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I tried to use a different image hosting site (so far I've used photobucket and imageshack). It still isn't appearing on my screen though. Can anyone tell me why or perhaps give me another good image hosting site?

Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by Thebridge
And it was an Alvarez 5022 - a Japanese made acoustic that he bought in the 70's. Oh my god does this thing play like a dream (granted, the strings haven't been changed in years, which I will be fixing soon).

I normally don't even like playing acoustic guitar, but this thing is too good not to play. My dad said it was better that I took it, than it sit in the piano room gathering dust. I'm excited.

Anyone else have an experience with this guitar?

P.S. I would like to find out exactly what year it was made, but I read that Alvarez's are particularly difficult to date.

Wait A second is it just Alverez or Alverez-Yari?
Just Alvarez

Quote by vintage x metal