I know my way around guitar amps, about which names and models are good and which ones are ****. Like, a Peavey Classic 30 is good, but a Marshall MG is crap.

But I have very little knowledge of bass amps. I want to get an amp (I already have a bass), but I don't want to get a POS one.

Pretty much ever good brand out there makes bad amps - Marshall (MG), Fender (Frontman), etc.

So what are some bass amps to generally stay away from? GK, Ampeg, Fender... models? Other brands?

(^ I don't mean those brands I mentioned above are bad, I know they make high-end stuff, but I'm guessing they also make crap stuff right?)

Thanks in advance for any help on this
Quote by flamingmarble27
I know my way around guitar amps, about which names and models are good and which ones are ****. Like, a Peavey Classic 30 is good, but a Marshall MG is crap.

But I have very little knowledge of bass amps. I want to get an amp (I already have a bass), but I don't want to get a POS one.

Pretty much ever good brand out there makes bad amps - Marshall (MG), Fender (Frontman), etc.

So what are some bass amps to generally stay away from? GK, Ampeg, Fender... models? Other brands?

(^ I don't mean those brands I mentioned above are bad, I know they make high-end stuff, but I'm guessing they also make crap stuff right?)

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Hi !

Try GK (you can't go wrong with the GK stuff) or Peavey's... of course, I suggest you first try them. Stay away from Hartke's (crapiest sound I ever had)!!!

Peace out!
dont go and buy one but i tried a Line 6 amp at GC the other day and it was cool for something at a decent size

has pre effect switch in it too for distortion and synth etc.
Stay way from Behringer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Stay way from Behringer.

Get ready for a lot of messages like these. Behringer are your new public enemy #1 when it comes to amps.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
gk backline
fender rumble
any behringer
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
1) Cheap Ambeg BA series. All they can reproduce is boom.
2) Cheap Hartke Kickback amps. All they do is fart and distort
3) Cheap GK Backline amps. Sound tinny
4) Cheap SWR LA series amps. No increase in volume one you go past 12 o'clock, only distortion
5) can't say much about Behringers, heard they suck too. I had enough time to tinker with their Ultrabass (lol) head
6) Cheap Ashdowns. On par with Behringers
7) Roland, Line6 and other built-in-effects amps suck a tremendous amount of balls.
I disagree that cheap bass amps can have a noticable effect on bass tone, i think fiddling around with the eq on just about any amp will get you a good solid sound eventually.

however, I did play through a fender bassman years ago, and was blown away by it.

but what's going on at the knobs is much more important than what's written on the front, in my experience. A graphic equaliser is something to lookout for when you're getting an amp, but not neccecary.
Jim, what do you mean by saying that cheap amps do not have a noticeable effect on tone? If you play a crappy bass thru an Eden or Aguillar stack, and super-duper alembic thru a Hartke Kickback, both set on "flat", trust me, the crowd is gonna be blown by the clarity of a better amp.

shoddy bass + Good amp + good soundtech > super bass and ok amp.
Quote by Bassilo
Jim, what do you mean by saying that cheap amps do not have a noticeable effect on tone? If you play a crappy bass thru an Eden or Aguillar stack, and super-duper alembic thru a Hartke Kickback, both set on "flat", trust me, the crowd is gonna be blown by the clarity of a better amp.

shoddy bass + Good amp + good soundtech > super bass and ok amp.

OK, maybe i should leave it to people with more experience of high grade amps than me (like yourself, I couldn't probably name one bass amp appart from that fender bassman!) to do the talking here. I'm no tone freak - i usually turn up at the venue, plug in and that's me, maybe after a little token twidling of knobs.
Quote by skater dan0
gk backline
fender rumble
any behringer

I'm glad to see someone else mentioned the Rumble. God that amp has the flatless meh of a tone I have ever heard.

The only other amp I would add to this is the low end Kustoms. Like GK, their higher end stuff are good if not great, low end they are horrendous. I owned a Kustom practice amp for years. As I've said before, it was the saddest piece of combo I ever owned.
Quote by Mandalic
Hi !

Stay away from Hartke's (crapiest sound I ever had)!!!

what hartke did you try? i tried 2 hartkes and both have awesome tones, the kickback(hartke) is the best amp i have ever tried but i gues they also make bad amps
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by anarkee
I'm glad to see someone else mentioned the Rumble. God that amp has the flatless meh of a tone I have ever heard.

The only other amp I would add to this is the low end Kustoms. Like GK, their higher end stuff are good if not great, low end they are horrendous. I owned a Kustom practice amp for years. As I've said before, it was the saddest piece of combo I ever owned.

i know exactly what you mean mine either booms or sounds flat there are no highs coming though at all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i know exactly what you mean mine either booms or sounds flat there are no highs coming though at all

Not true. I've been playing one for a couple years now (no money to get anything better), and I can get some good highs out of it.
Quote by litus
what hartke did you try? i tried 2 hartkes and both have awesome tones, the kickback(hartke) is the best amp i have ever tried but i gues they also make bad amps

I agree, every Hartke I played sounded between more-than-okay and totally awesome.

Amps to stay away from are Behringer and Marshall (and some more that are allready mentioned)
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
i'm pretty happy with my Rumble, I do admit not the best tone ever but it doesn't have the worst IMO
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Wanna add this to the list. I was really disappointed with it. My entire experience with Ampegs, both solid-state and tube-driven was a disappointment. With one exception

that's the only pic I've got. Forgot the model, it puts out something like 800 watts. A full stack. When you stood 2 meters away from it, you heard nothing. If you try to push it hard, it distorts BADLY. Maybe it's because of the cab.

And about Kustoms. I never would have guessed they sounded so good! I dunno what I have to thank - either that Ampeg head, or the splendid Kustom cab, but I've never heard so much punch coming from the ampeg! It was almost as tight as GK. And I use their 300 watt combo sometimes - great stuff!
Last edited by Bassilo at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by thedude97
Not true. I've been playing one for a couple years now (no money to get anything better), and I can get some good highs out of it.

strange that, i can't get any good high end out of my rumble without adding stupid amounts of hiss
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I tried a tube ampeg cant remember the model, it was fukin awesome, and a rumble 100 is good if you want a BOOMY sound, like you just want the bass to be heard. But if you wanna do anything more dinamic I wouldnt reccomend it.
I have one of the "Parke" bass combo's which was Marshall's bass amp company. That thing has a decent enough tone to it, not amazing but not bad
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
wait what hartke did u try i got the HA3500 115 cab for now and its F*CKING amazing considering that its only running thru a single 15" speaker and a tweeter

@ guy who hates hartke

i will say though the hartke kickback was shocking in comparison the the head and cab setup
I am me. Live with it.