As i walked away from a concert i went to last night, ears ringing, I wondered how bad that actually is for me. Has anyone actually had bad hearing loss from going to concerts?

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
The only hearing loss I get is when I get massive amounts of earwax buildup behind the point a Q-tip can reach. It is terrible.
Quote by нαиd of вlood
As i walked away from a concert i went to last night, ears ringing, I wondered how bad that actually is for me. Has anyone actually had bad hearing loss from going to concerts?

WHAT? WHAT'D YOU SA- WHAT? NO, ABOUT THE- WHAT?
I was doing a study on this not to long ago.
Going to the odd concert now and then won't have any significant damage to your ears, however if you're attending them often then I'd suggest taking earplugs as it will damage your hearing.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by lolcats
WHAT? WHAT'D YOU SA- WHAT? NO, ABOUT THE- WHAT?

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Well, my dad went to an AC/DC concert ages back, he found a spot with his friends near the front and wondered why no-one was around, since it had an awesome view of the stage. He didnt realise untill they started to play that he was right next to the 100,000w speakers.

He couldnt hear for a week
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Last edited by BFun at Jun 1, 2008,
Well...i don't really know bout that, but everytime i leave from the concert my ears ring (i just played at a club and my ears are ringing) but it should go off by the next morning. Many artists that are exposed to high volumes do start having hearing problem...but that takes some years (decades maybe...) and setting the amp all the way to 11.
That ringing in your ears is the sound of the ear cells dying, it's like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by RFer
Well...i don't really know bout that, but everytime i leave from the concert my ears ring (i just played at a club and my ears are ringing) but it should go off by the next morning. Many artists that are exposed to high volumes do start having hearing problem...but that takes some years (decades maybe...) and setting the amp all the way to 11.

Don't be so sure, I've been gigging for about two years now, and I've gotten 15% hearing loss already!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
yeah it goes quicker for some...my buddy lost alot of hers in a year just going to a few...while I go to 30+ and gig and haven't...

though I do wear earplugs when I gig...and to the really small concert venues...
Quote by dancesisidance
Don't be so sure, I've been gigging for about two years now, and I've gotten 15% hearing loss already!

Same here. I Spent two years with my band and I now have tinitus. Duumb. But those moulded speciality ear plugs cost like, $600! I'd prefer not to be deaf but I can't afford to not be!
I wish our ears weren't such pussy bitches.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by lolcats
But those moulded speciality ear plugs cost like, $600! I'd prefer not to be deaf but I can't afford to not be!

Really? I've seen them round here for under £20
Regular earplugs work just as well I find, you know the little foam ones.
They're uncomftable at first, but you get used to them, and will thank yourself when you can hear what's for lunch in ten or twenty years

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by GerGuam
The only hearing loss I get is when I get massive amounts of earwax buildup behind the point a Q-tip can reach. It is terrible.

Just go to a doctor and get it flushed out. It doesn't cost much and it doesn't hurt, though it does feel really weird (and actually kinda cool). I've had it done a couple of times cause I get terrible wax build-up (bloody Mediterranean genes), and the clarity you get in your hearing after is just amazing.
i've been going to concerts since the 5th grade and i've seen concerts quite frequently and i've acquired acute tinitus which is ringing in the ears but i only notice it when things are silent so nah you'll be fine
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by Burning Star 4
i've been going to concerts since the 5th grade and i've seen concerts quite frequently and i've acquired acute tinitus which is ringing in the ears but i only notice it when things are silent so nah you'll be fine

You do realise that's caused by cells in your ear dying or already dead.. I wouldn't say that's too great in the long run!

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by dancesisidance

Darn, maybe you use it on 13 haha, but maybe each one's ears are different...i don't know, but people should take care about it anyway.
ive somehow got tinitus from going to only a few concerts, but i guess listening to music with earphones doesnt help, my friend got 20 little foam earplugs for about £6 they worked pretty well.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
My ears ring after every band practice, Let alone a full on concert
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Just go to a doctor and get it flushed out. It doesn't cost much and it doesn't hurt, though it does feel really weird (and actually kinda cool). I've had it done a couple of times cause I get terrible wax build-up (bloody Mediterranean genes), and the clarity you get in your hearing after is just amazing.

That post just...made me laugh

sorry! haha
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182

I actually did that once. It was nice. I thought I was the only one. Tomorrow I am going to try to do this myself with some form of pressurized water and hope it works out in the same fashion... I don't need a doctor to shoot a water gun into my ear (I hope).
I saw the Raconteurs on tuesday and my ears rang till thursday. I just got back from a MSTRKRFT show (so dope!) and it was so much louder (and an hour and a half longer). I'm probably going to have hearing loss from it.

I can nearly guarantee that the members of the Who are practically deaf.
I was right next to the speaker, facing the stage, so my left ear was exposed the whole 2 and a half hours... Could not hear for a week out of that ear, and the quality when i did hear was fuzzy, like a bad speaker.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

I, too, like others in this thread have a slight case of tinnitus, but it's only noticeable when things are really quiet. Usually when I'm in the bathroom. ( ) I used to be afraid to wear earplugs for fear of getting made fun of at shows but I quickly realized that ear damage is NOT worth it.

[[ Don't you ever, ever, ever trust my mercy. ]]
Quote by coolo
My ears ring after every band practice, Let alone a full on concert

Same here (although our practice seems louder than a full concert at times).

Slightly related: Anyone recommend good earplugs for a drummer? It gets pretty dam loud behind that kit.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger