Please help, started a band a few months ago and we want to start recording and we need some decent mics to go along with our future Recorder. Especially for guitar, I own a Soldano and I don't want to lose my tone via crappy mics Thanks

Brands & prices (as well as opinions) would be helpful as well
for guitars try a Shure SM57. think its like £70 and theyre pretty good for the price.
Indeed, I just got an SM57 and it's great. Although their are other options you might want to consider. But most go for this.
Quote by Static The Band
Plug it straight into a mixer/computer. Cleanest, easiest thing to do.

I'm a noob to recording, do you mean the mic
Yeh 57 are industry standard but obviously they gotta be used right Also available are stuff like the Sennheiser e606/609/906 which are specifically designed for mic'ing guitar cabs, Try a few out and see what u think
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
Quote by Static The Band

If your meaning plug the guitar straight into the mixer/computer, i dont recommend this, as it will produce a good sound. Or even if you mean DI it, it still doesnt usually sounds great
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
Quote by bdof
I'm a noob to recording, do you mean the mic

Nope You can buy a special wire (about £10) which goes into the Line In slot in your base. Then you can choose to put distortion/FX on the clean guitar in the recording program.
So Shure SM57 might be a solution, what about drum mics? prob at least 4 mics will be needed- snare, bass, symbols, one in the center (not too familiur, drummer should know best) would I need a different type of mic for drums the guitar?
Putting FX onto a guitar sound in a mixing program doesnt produce great quality and with a soldano amp, why not use that? For snare i recommend SM57 again, im guessin u will record everything seperately so 1 57 will do, bass drum ....AKG D112, then prob jus buy 1 decent overhead as that should cover ur cymbals and toms

really its all about how much money you got. You can get a decent set of mics, in a pack like Red Audio 5 who do some great sets to suite your budget
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
Last edited by carrotjames at Jun 1, 2008,
cool guys, thanks. $99 ain't bad at all, and they seem to to have consistent positive feed back
Are you gonna be micing the guitar's amp? or micing an acoustic guitar. for micing an amp, i'm pretty sure that it's preferred to use a dynamic type microphone, such as the SM57. while an acoustic gets a better sound with a condenser mic. i have an sm57 but haven't mic'd any amps with it, so i can't describe them too much for that.. that costs ~$100. if you are on a budget, they can be an ok substitute for vocals or another instrument.

some say they can get great sounds (or even better) from condenser's on their amps as well as acoustics. i'm looking to purchase a condenser myself, a sort of "all around" condenser mic, that can get decent sound from acoustics, amps, and vocals. Two that have caught my eye, and am deciding on are the Rode NT-1a for ~$230 and the Audio Technica AT4040 for ~$300. whats your budget and what will you want your mic to be primarily recording? do you want an all around mic or something specific? do you want one mic or multiples?
Aah you're in america so dunno if you will be able to buy from red audio 5 as they are in Scotland and will prob be overpriced for you due to the current exchange rate
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
Shure SM57 every time. With one just put it on-axis about 3 inches away from the speaker cloth in front of the best speaker. If you've got enough cash for two mics put them XY about the same distance.
Quote by knivessout
while an acoustic gets a better sound with a condenser mic. i have an sm57 but haven't mic'd any amps with it, so i can't describe them too much for that.. that costs ~$100. if you are on a budget, they can be an ok substitute for vocals or another instrument.

some say they can get great sounds (or even better) from condenser's on their amps as well as acoustics. i'm looking to purchase a condenser myself, a sort of "all around" condenser mic, that can get decent sound from acoustics, amps, and vocals.

I had a question about the condensor mics. I'm looking at a few to record my acoutic guitar. One, do the condensor mics that plug directly into the computer via USB have as good as sound as plugging a mic first into a pre amp? I've been looking at a samsung C01U usb mic because I don't really want to buy a pre amp. Any thoughts?
Quote by Static The Band

Why?
running a mixer offers nothing really...you are still runnin audio into a stock crap sound card...and will get loads of latency.

these days the interfaces are cheap enough that most people can buy one.

bdof:
Get yourself something like the m-audio fast track USB and then run the shure SM57 or any mic into it. Interfaces give better recording results, they take out latency, and have XLR inputs as well as preamps.

Drum mics:
If you are tracking drums you'll want a larger interface such as the PreSonus Firewire Studio or FP10. Then you'll want some high priced mics, don't cheap out on mics...they will turn your drums into a cheap $10 beginner set...

Look over Tweak's Guide, linked in my sig.
Their form also talks about mics and drum micing.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 1, 2008,
Was that a reply to me? How much is an interface......and I'm a noob so is an interface a pre amp??
Quote by thefedexpope
I had a question about the condensor mics. I'm looking at a few to record my acoutic guitar. One, do the condensor mics that plug directly into the computer via USB have as good as sound as plugging a mic first into a pre amp? I've been looking at a samsung C01U usb mic because I don't really want to buy a pre amp. Any thoughts?

USB mics are not great...
most beginner pod casters will use them.

audio interface with XLR input, Preamp, and 48V phantom power will work with any condenser mic out there. I suggest looking into those.

Quote by thefedexpope
Was that a reply to me? How much is an interface......and I'm a noob so is an interface a pre amp??

That was to a few people actually, first to the member mentioning the mixer setup, and then to the original poster.

interfaces run between $100 and $7,000 these days...
If you have a computer these are the way to go when recording.

they are a piece of hardware with on board XLR inputs and preamps, (preamps are for boosting mic levels to usable amounts) which bypass your stock sound card.
You may want to look though Tweaks guide, linked in my sig.

If you are only planning on recording one or two mics at one time you can go with a USB interface but once you go past two inputs, its best to go with firewire.

Interfaces:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Quote by bdof
Please help, started a band a few months ago and we want to start recording and we need some decent mics to go along with our future Recorder. Especially for guitar, I own a Soldano and I don't want to lose my tone via crappy mics Thanks

Brands & prices (as well as opinions) would be helpful as well

Recorders, or MTRs, (multi track recorders) are more geared towards recording away from the computer, usually on location recording as well. They are high in price and limited in a lot of ways so its best to stick with an audio interface.

I suggest looking into the E-mu 0404, Mackie Onyx Satellite, or m-audio line.
if you are on a budget the M-Audio Fast Track USB is a common choice although ive never used that so I cant say how well it works.

I did review a Toneport a while back though:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301566

As for mics, the Shure SM57 which runs for $100 USD is a popular choice.

What is your budget?
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 1, 2008,
I can't add anything except that using 2 SM57's per guitar cab sounds amazing. I can imagine it would be excellent with your Soldano as well. Making sure the cab is properly isolated and you will have a killer track.

Otherwise everything Moody says, I agree with.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic