I got a Schecter C-1 Classic yesterday, but it came set-up with 10's (no fret buzz at all)
So I put 9's on and took the action down a bit, but I'm overwhelmed with fret buzz, even open buzz.
Is there any way to stop it?
raise the action.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I don't want the action raised though...
or is there any way to raise the action but lower the actual string tension?
Check if the neck is straight. You will possibly have to adjust your truss rod. If the neck is straight though, you'll have to raise the action. Don't forget to set up your intonation afterwards.
Yeah well I mean it came perfectly set-up, apparantly they set them up in the USA.
So I would assume the neck is straight..
Dude it may be neither of those, if his nuts cut too low or his top frets are uneven he will get buzz, does the buzz go away the further up the neck u play?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
On the higher strings yeah, theres still buzz on the E and A if I'm playing further up.
Quote by leviticus_22953
the nut slots are for 10s. he changed to 9s so open string buzz will occur at the nut.

So what do I do?
well, the nut slots are bigger. either you go back to 10s or maybe get a new nut or cut the slots deeper for 9s or take it to a tech if i am wrong.
Quote by sdmf.1919
Yeah well I mean it came perfectly set-up, apparantly they set them up in the USA.
So I would assume the neck is straight..

I gathered that from the opening post, but putting thinner strings on a guitar results in less string tension, while the tension coming from the truss rod remains the same, possibly leading to a bent neck.

Anyway, +1 to what leviticus said.
Quote by TheQuailman
I gathered that from the opening post, but putting thinner strings on a guitar results in less string tension, while the tension coming from the truss rod remains the same, possibly leading to a bent neck.

Anyway, +1 to what leviticus said.

thanks. i've encountered that in my guitar too so i know.

either there is not enough relief since the tension was changed or a dead flat neck. there is not enough tension for the strings to pull the neck since he changed to a thinner gauge. thus creating buzz on the first few frets. there is buzz on the nut too.
Normally I wouldn't think it would be problem jumping from 0.10 to 0.09 but check the neck bow anyway. Remember the mark the position on the truss rod so you can always go back there.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

you probably took off all the strings too. that and going to a lighter gauge, let the neck relax, like said.

fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend,

you can check and repost.

it;s going to be low, but in doing this test you have a reference point, before you start turning the truss rod.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR and I have a ton of fret-buzz as well that just came with the guitar. I thought it would go away but I later learned differenty. I'm not quite sure what to do. I have tried raising the action but that only got rid of the buzz on the first few frets and I didn't want to raise it any further and ended up lowering the action later on. Now I'm not to sure what to do, the neck looks very straight to me. Help please.
hows the bridge? is it lifted up in the air, or level?

i mean the back part of the bridge, furthest from the headstock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011