does a peavey 5150 120 watt only break up and sound good when cranked? i am looking at buying a 5150 but its made in 1992/1993 isnt that a bit old for a head? can it die?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
don't think it will die on you. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark III from 84 or 86 (can't remember right now) and it still is running strong.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
You can get a good tone out of a 5150 at pretty much any volume. It's all in how you EQ it.
High Gain amps have such high wattage because they want to steer clear of Power Tube breakup.
The 5150's sound is all in the preamp. It's one of the best low volume amps I've ever heard.
When I record I generally put it at about 1.5 on the volume, and it sounds phenomenal.
And when my band gigs with it (I do vocals in the band, so our guitarist uses it) it's usually at about 6, and it sounds amazing then. The few chances I've had to push it to 10 were awe inspiring.
bump
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
It sounds great at low volumes and even better when cranked, so no, it doesn't have to be cranked to sound good.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
This question has been asked about 4 times in the past month, and can be answered in the official 5150/6505 thread. Use the search bar.

The distortion comes from the preamp on the 5150, it'll sound pretty damn good anywhere passed 0.75.

And my head was made in 1992, and it works great.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
how do u get yours runnng at 60 watts? and why?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
how do u get yours runnng at 60 watts? and why?

I took the two outer tubes out, and so its not quite as blistering loud when I'm at practice. My drummer doesn't play disgustingly loud like some do and I can still drown my bassist out even at 60W running into my 400W cab.

I get tube saturation at about 2-2.5 instead of 4 now because the two tubes have to work that much harder.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I took the two outer tubes out, and so its not quite as blistering loud when I'm at practice. My drummer doesn't play disgustingly loud like some do and I can still drown my bassist out even at 60W running into my 400W cab.

I get tube saturation at about 2-2.5 instead of 4 now because the two tubes have to work that much harder.

What rating fuse you got in there?
I was gonna do this, never got around to it.

Is yours bias modded btw?
So would you guys say the 5150\6505 would be a wiser choice for a non gigging metal head then something like 5-15watt amps with ODs in front?

Also can you lower the wattage any lower than 60? Like to 30 or something. Or does going any lower mess the sound?
Quote by Steel8909
So would you guys say the 5150\6505 would be a wiser choice for a non gigging metal head then something like 5-15watt amps with ODs in front?

Also can you lower the wattage any lower than 60? Like to 30 or something. Or does going any lower mess the sound?

Look at an attenuator but if you're not gigging it'll take up a lot of space, IMO go with something from Randall that's a lot smaller and cheaper.
Quote by Steel8909

Probably not. 5150's definitely aren't practice amps. They are meant to be used for recording and gigging in bands, unless you can use them loud. If you want the overdriven tube tone, an attenuator will achieve it for you but they aren't cheap. They still sound great over 0.75 alone, but if you don't need the headroom its not worth spending the money.

No you can't make them 30. The combo uses 2 6L6GC's which makes a single +/- circuit, and the head uses 4 which has a +/-/+/- so you can take out either the two inner or outer to half the wattage. You need to have one +/- or it won't work.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS