so i got a RG2550Z on the way in like a month as soon as it gets off backorder , it will be my first guitar with a floating trem. i play alot of stuff in drop d and i was kinda wondering how easy it is to tune to drop D? can you just use the fine tuners to get the E string down a whole step, or will i have to go through the whole process of unclamping and tuneing
You have to go through the whole process of unclamping. You can set the springs in the back up so there is less tension on the bass side of the strings so the tuning doesnt take too long.

It only takes 5 mins to tune, but i just normally leave my RG1570 (edge pro trem) in drop d.
Yeah you need to change the spring tension, takes a while. If you were change all the strings tuning, like putting it in Eb its relatively fast. I tend to leave my back plate off
Manchester United
Quote by Dark_Merlin
You have to go through the whole process of unclamping. You can set the springs in the back up so there is less tension on the bass side of the strings so the tuning doesnt take too long.

It only takes 5 mins to tune, but i just normally leave my RG1570 (edge pro trem) in drop d.

I would say 5 minutes is a bit short, you need to tune it, the change the tension, the by then they are all madly out, so you need to repeat this for like 20 minutes, maybe 30
Manchester United
eh i'll get used to it i guess, i just like to play alot of between the buried and me and lamb of god and stuff. i guess ill just leave my other RG in drop C#
Quote by blind.quardian
with a guitar with no fr do we have to do these or we just turn the tuners and thats all?

If it doesn't have a floating trem then you can just turn the tuners
Manchester United
you can easily tune the E string to D using the fine tuners

thats what i do
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
search for "D-TUNA" on google. it's a little device that attachs to the string saddle of the low E and enables you to quickly go between standard and drop D. or D standard to Drop C, whatever you want.

i would post the link, but i don't know how to.
You can easily tune down to drop D without changing the spring tension, I do it all the time and I have no problems.
Quote by VivaLaJam
You can easily tune down to drop D without changing the spring tension, I do it all the time and I have no problems.

yh i was thinkin that. would take the piss to change the tension for just 1 string 1 step down
Guitars

Dean Razorback Explosion Lefty
ESP LTD EX-400 LH
Vintage?? LH

Amp

Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-BK
Quote by Narchbishop
search for "D-TUNA" on google. it's a little device that attachs to the string saddle of the low E and enables you to quickly go between standard and drop D. or D standard to Drop C, whatever you want.

i would post the link, but i don't know how to.

I don't think those work on floating bridges. I'm pretty sure that they're for dive-only guitars.
"What was that?! *Sigh.* Here, hold my 'I Can't believe I'm Helping You' pie and watch this...."
The rg2550z has the edge zero bridge with the "zps" tuning system. Supposedly if you break a string, it still stays in tune. Therefore you should have no problem using the fine tuners to drop down without affecting the tension of the other strings. Atleast this is what i've been lead to believe.
It's better to get a new pair of strings and tune them once, then keep the, in that tuning. My bridge is only an Edge 3 but when I try and put it in anything but standard tuning it takes forever to get it to stay, and even then I have to retune every day.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
I can tune to E to drop D no problem and no adjustments...

You just have to know how to setup the fine tuner on the Low E string and you can tune in like 10 seconds.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by Shabalaba
If it doesn't have a floating trem then you can just turn the tuners

Since when can't you just tune to drop D with a floating trem?