Ey fellas, after drumming for about 3 years I have decided I am going to buy a guitar this summer. The thing is I am totally new to all this and would like some advice, I have read the sticky on what all to look for when purchasing a guitar but would like suggestions for my specific case.

I know I am going to be playing punk rock, ska, punk ska, and reggae, so I am thinking I would need something versatile? I am serious about taking this up and know I will not be quitting after picking it up, so I am looking for something in the intermediate range, and since I am a drummer and naturally have drummer friends, it would be nice to be able to hear my guitar when jamming with them, so I need an amp that is loud/decent enough to be heard over loud drums.

I am willing to pay around $750 for the guitar and the amp, but if really necessary I can afford to spend $1000 on them. I would prefer to buy new and am wondering how is the warranty on guitars and amps?

I talked to two guitarists I jam with and they suggested that I go for a $400 stratocaster and a $300-$400 75-watt Line 6 amp.

Now I have to ask you guys(the pros) are their suggestions good? Is there anything specific I should get/look for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being a part of this great community!
depends how serious you mean to play.
For 1000 you can get a Peavey VK and a Epi SG.
Sg is really versatile and VK too....(VK=Valve king).
VK is tube...it's great and too loud probably xD
Line 6 amps are supposed to suck as I hear...but never played one tho.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The Spider is a bad choice as is well documented here on UG. The Valveking is a good amp, but also check out some Crate V-Series amps, like the V-33. Guitar wise, just about anything can be used for your types of music. Obviously no Jazz boxes though.
Quote by deckerbastard69
i take it ur not very good at teh drums?

I can't answer that, but take a look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDiNOs8KVLg

Thanks for all the responses guys! The Fender Fat Strat seems a little too steep for my budget, but the Epiphone G4-00 SG and the Peavey VK look alright. I saw that the VK is a 50W amp and I was wondering if it would be loud enough. My friend was suggesting a 75W amp, won't a 50W amp be less loud? And how is the quality of the amp, if I turned it up to max and played on it, would it damage/wear out the speaker very quick? Thanks guys.
Actually a 50W tube is a lot. If you don't know anything about Amps, there are tube(valve) amps and Solid state(electronic) amps. Tubes are louder and generally have better tone. A 50W Tube could easily do the work of a 100W Solid state.
^well i own a VK and G400(a limited custom shop '66 edition, not the one listed above)

i dont know about your style of music, but they are both very good pieces of gear, except the SG is VERY top heavey, which means it tends to drop towards the ground from the headstock when played on a strap

an Epiphone Les Paul Standard will work just as well
What are the differences between this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054
and this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
? What advantages and disadvantages do each of these have? The specs look pretty much identical so which would be more versatile and what types of sound would I get out of each of these?

And the major differences between the Epiphone G-400 SG, the Fender Deluxe Fat Strat (HSS), and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard? I really like the pickups on the Fender, would that be best for the music I am looking to play or is it not that much of a factor?
Quote by StunnerAlpha
And the major differences between the Epiphone G-400 SG, the Fender Deluxe Fat Strat (HSS), and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard? I really like the pickups on the Fender, would that be best for the music I am looking to play or is it not that much of a factor?

G400: Crispy and crunchy.
LP Standard: Warm and punchy.
Fat Strat: Very versatile because of the pickup configuration. Ska and reggae are usually played using single coils.

All three guitars make decent punk rock guitars, but the Strat is also very decent for your other musical preferences.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeah, go with the Epiphone G-400 SG model or the Fender HSS fat strat for guitar, and for your amp, get a peavey valveking 112.

Btw, welcome to UG.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Btw, welcome to UG.

Why thank you . Valve King and Fender strat are looking real good right now, but are there any other guitars out there that have the same versatility as the fender for less of a price tag? Maybe a cheaper Fender?
i'd consider looking into a peavey classic 30 as well as that valveking- the VK is kind of a jack-of-all-trades, which is cool (especially at the price it sells for!). However, the music styles you've listed, as far as I'm aware (i don't really listen to nor play that style of music much, if at all), aren't all that modern sounding. And most would agree that a peavey classic 30 sounds better than a valveking for more classic-sounding stuff. not to mention looks a lot more classy. It is a bit more money though, i think it's $600? worth it if you ask me, though. assuming you're still willing to stretch to $1000, that'd still leave you enough for a decent guitar.

oh and 30 watts tube is extremely loud.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there are better pickups, that appears to be the main difference. I haven't tried the two head to head (or indeed at all), so there may be a quality difference too, but i'm not sure if there is or not.

if you're just after an HSS fat strat, a yamaha pacifica (for your budget you should be able to get a 412 if not 612) is bound to be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there are better pickups, that appears to be the main difference. I haven't tried the two head to head (or indeed at all), so there may be a quality difference too, but i'm not sure if there is or not.

if you're just after an HSS fat strat, a yamaha pacifica (for your budget you should be able to get a 412 if not 612) is bound to be worth a look.

+1 to the Pacifica. I always forget about them.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
^

just to clarify, i meant there were better pickups on the more expensive of the two fenders posted.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude punk ska reggae? go with a Fender Telecaster! Classic twang necessary for ska/reggae and enough beef in the bridge for punk.(at least in my opinion and Joe Strummer's opinion for that matter.) As for amps I would suggest if you can going to a music store and trying out all the amps in your price range. =)
I'll look into it. Thanks! And to Dave, thanks for the info, I will try them both out and see which I like better, the more expensive one is probably the better deal, correct?
Quote by StunnerAlpha
I'll look into it. Thanks! And to Dave, thanks for the info, I will try them both out and see which I like better, the more expensive one is probably the better deal, correct?

depends. if there's no quality difference in the rest of the guitar (and there might be- i'm not sure), if you were willing to switch pickups yourself, it'd probably make more sense to get the cheaper one, as that way you could choose your own pickups.

If you aren't, and simply want the best instrument "stock" without having to mod it, then yeah, it probably makes more sense to go for the more expensive one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?