Why do so many people on UG hate WoW?

I play it with a few friends, and we always have a great time, it's a generally very fun game.

I've never met someone "addicted" to the game, and the handful of people who are are the exception, not the rule. The news has tried, unconsciously or not (don't forget the "Cult of Emo" a few weeks ago...) to blow it out of proportion.

It's an entertaining way to waste a few hours with friends, no different than playing Call of Duty or Halo (I've seen people far more addicted to Halo than anyone I've ever seen of WoW).

So, answer me, what is wrong with WoW?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
It's a mmorpg... The nediest of all games, someone good at halo or cs can still be cool, it takes Skillz0rz. WoW is a nooby game you just need to play it all the time to be good.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
I just don't see the point in wasting so many hours playing a game like that. I would think its fine if you only play it for a few hours a day, but when you make it the main part of your day, I think that its just kinda stupid. That and the monthly fee to play JUST THAT GAME. I think thats stupid too.
the fact that your forced to play it a lot, to get your moneys worth.
Quote by PlayMadness

I play it with a few friends, and we always have a great time, it's a generally very fun game.

I've never met someone "addicted" to the game, and the handful of people who are are the exception, not the rule. The news has tried, unconsciously or not (don't forget the "Cult of Emo" a few weeks ago...) to blow it out of proportion.

It's an entertaining way to waste a few hours with friends, no different than playing Call of Duty or Halo (I've seen people far more addicted to Halo than anyone I've ever seen of WoW).

WoW is an MMORPG. More than half of the fun to be had in the social aspect of the game.
You need friends for there to be a social aspect.
Most UGers don't have friends.
Quote by HeliuM
It's a mmorpg... The nediest of all games, someone good at halo or cs can still be cool, it takes Skillz0rz. WoW is a nooby game you just need to play it all the time to be good.

Along with that. FPS games give you instant gratification. You can go on and be like "Dude I just blew off you head! Dude I just did it again!" while rpgs you just go on and be like, "dude wanna go roam around and kill things?" I don't know what its actually like, but I'm guessing you get no instant gratification out of it.
Coz all the quests are the same!

That's why I Quit (Quat? What's the past-tence to quit lol)
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
There's nothing wrong with MMORPGs it's just that EvE is better and cheaper

/EVEfag xD
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
There's nothing wrong with MMORPGs it's just that EvE is better and cheaper

/EVEfag xD

Well, I'm a Warcraft fag... I've been playing since Orcs and Humans.

Quote by 601210
WoW is an MMORPG. More than half of the fun to be had in the social aspect of the game.
You need friends for there to be a social aspect.
Most UGers don't have friends.

I never thought of that...
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Suffice to say that I don't have a clue what you're all talking about.

Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by PlayMadness
Well, I'm a Warcraft fag... I've been playing since Orcs and Humans.

I never thought of that...

That is one of the factors in WoW's success. The franchise already had a huge following among PC gamers, who would probably have bought anything that had the Warcraft tag on it.
Heh

My friend and I (who both play EvE) tried downloading the trial to see if we could find out what's so attractive about it. 5 hours later we had downloaded the trial, just to find that we had to wait almost as long for the bloody patches, so that didn't give it a decent headstart to say the least.
WoW's PvP functionality is ridiculous though you actualy have to 'accept' a fight what's up with that?
And we find that with WoW, all you can lose is what your character has on you at the time, whereas in EvE if you're not careful you can lose everything

edit: ^ What's your char name?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

^Low level pvp is nothing like 70 pvp, the game totally changes once you hit 70 (sometimes for the worse).

I've wasted alot of my time on WoW (~150 days of play time), and I regret spending so much time on it, but I had fun anyway. Nowadays I spend much less time on it but I still log on occasionally to talk to friends.
*Looks for Metaldud's comment... Sees theres none there...I'll take this...*

I'd rather play Pokémon
Quote by Hawiz
^Low level pvp is nothing like 70 pvp, the game totally changes once you hit 70 (sometimes for the worse).

Ah okay, obviously the trial doesn't give you enough time to get up to that level. What's so different about it?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
WoW's PvP functionality is ridiculous though you actualy have to 'accept' a fight what's up with that?
And we find that with WoW, all you can lose is what your character has on you at the time.

1. Not on most servers. In WoW, the players are split into two groups, the Alliance (Humans, Night Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Draenei), and the Horde (Orcs, Undead, Trolls, Tauren, and Blood Elves). On half the servers (PVP and RPPVP), any Alliance can attack any Horde, no matter who they are, no matter where they are. The only exception is low level characters; under level 10 have to turn PVP on before they can be attacked.

2. One of the biggest positives of WoW is the lack of consequences for death. At worst, an equipped item could break, and you have to pay to fix it. This eliminates fighting for 3 hours to get an item, only to be killed on the way out and lose it.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
1. Not on most servers. In WoW, the players are split into two groups, the Alliance (Humans, Night Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Draenei), and the Horde (Orcs, Undead, Trolls, Tauren, and Blood Elves). On half the servers (PVP and RPPVP), any Alliance can attack any Horde, no matter who they are, no matter where they are. The only exception is low level characters; under level 10 have to turn PVP on before they can be attacked.

2. One of the biggest positives of WoW is the lack of consequences for death. At worst, an equipped item could break, and you have to pay to fix it. This eliminates fighting for 3 hours to get an item, only to be killed on the way out and lose it.

Point 2 isn't really a positive if you're actually into RP. Consequenceless death is what makes people stupid in MMO's, and leads to PvP turning into a shyte Zerg-rush battle.
Quote by Yngwi3
Ah okay, obviously the trial doesn't give you enough time to get up to that level. What's so different about it?

It's very different, there are battlegrounds where people go to pvp, arenas, more world pvp, but I'll admit it's still total crap compared to other games.
Quote by MightyAl
Point 2 isn't really a positive if you're actually into RP. Consequenceless death is what makes people stupid in MMO's, and leads to PvP turning into a shyte Zerg-rush battle.

If you're really that deep into RP, than you wouldn't run in Zerg-rush style. That would only get you killed in the higher levels of PVP anyway. Also, you could just discard the item if you were a hardcore RPer.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
It's just a game, you get addicted to any game but the fun thing about WoW is that you're not against your CPU but with other assholes playing the game.. And it's fun when you kill them for no apparent reason making them restart all their quests hahahaha...

But from my experience I have to say that people got more addicted to Oblivion, linage II, age of mythology, call of duty than WoW...

Simply because WoW requires money in order to play
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Oh right fair enough.
That's one thing I like about EvE over WoW though. Wow you have loads (don't know how many exactly, but multiple) servers. EvE is on ONE server (which is bigger than WoW's combined) so you can come into contact with anyone at any time in any place.

Point 2 though - That's not really a positive, that makes PvP less risky and less adrenaline building.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Xeus
I play it every now and then with my friends and it is fun, as well as Cod 4 and halo, and gta obviously:P My names Xeuszero and im L35 alliance in Blood feather incase anyone wants to quest together

*runs off to powerlevel a tauren to consistently pwn Xeuszero*
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by PlayMadness
If you're really that deep into RP, than you wouldn't run in Zerg-rush style. That would only get you killed in the higher levels of PVP anyway. Also, you could just discard the item if you were a hardcore RPer.

Actually, hardcore RP'ers should delete their character unless they get rez'd.
Quote by LazySandman
*runs off to powerlevel a tauren to consistently pwn Xeuszero*

I'll boost ya, I have a 70 Blood Elf Paladin XD
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Breakdown of my previous post -

Battlegrounds - 10 vs 10/15 vs 15/40 vs 40 scenarios, 4 different maps where alliance/horde go against each other for honour, which can then be spent on items.

Arena - 2 vs 2/ 3 vs 3/ 5 vs 5 mini scenarios, requires more personal/team effort, more difficult to get good at, teams compete against each other for arena points to spend on items (items are better than honour items generally).

World pvp - Simply pvp in "world" situations, just anywhere on the map, while questing, grinding etc. Any pvp that isn't the above two basically. Has been in decline for a while though, taking alot of the fun out of pvp.

That said, the games pvp is really crappy now, after playing for a couple of years it's a chore and it bores you out of your mind. Gear>skill typically, the game isn't as player dependant as FPS/RTS games, gear is a joke to get now (I think I can say this pretty accurately, got a 2.2k rated team).
lmao i played WoW for alittle while but i never really got into it was just something to go on and be like

I HAZ A BIG AXE WOOOO and proceed to slice things down till i got to lvl 60ish

didnt take to long but then i just couldnt be bothered , and mygirlfriend got it justfor a mess about and we just played together just running about questing was quite fun and quite good for us aswe have a bit of a long distance relationship and it was a fun bit of interaction between us between seeign each other , i think where going to do the same over this summer again because when she isnt at uni she is pretty far from me so we dont see each other as much . It was funny how alot of people assumed that we met in game though lol.
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Quote by 12345abcd3
Yeah, WoW requires time, not skill.

I think this sums up the thread...
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

i downloaded the trial of it...... but meh, nothing special. i found it pretty boring actually. i'd prefer to play halo over WoW anyday.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Yeah, WoW requires time AND skill.

fixed.

the amount of idiots you see at 70 in PvP, or even some heroic groups, and even in your own raiding guild is rather surprising.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."

Ive met plenty of kids who play just too much,

I dont have any problem with WoW but it gets a tad annoying when I walk into my local net caffe [and 2/3 of the ones in my city] and there filled with WoW players 24/7.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
It's a really weak argument bashing WoW because you need to pay to play. A lot of money is required for upkeep of the servers etc, as well as the fact that there's continually new content added via patches.

I've actually saved money playing WoW, bear with me on this as no doubt you're thinking "WTF" - before I played WoW I was spending £30-40 on a game per month, but now I've no interest in a lot of others so I only buy one every few months, saving money :P