Hey guys. This was actually previously known as "In Medias Res" but I put it in a new thread because I changed the name, and also because I initially thought it to be a prog. metal song (hence the previous thread title) but the way it's been coming out is a mix of everything really haha. So anyways, this still isn't done, but I did add a large chunk to it, it's around 6:30 now...some of it is missing bass, i'll add that later...and I still plan on extending it. So, any crits on how it is so far, are most welcome
Attachments:
Spira.zip
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

its amazing man, hence why i'll try critique it in full ...

i loved the acoustic intro.. it was insanely good... i loved the harmonizations of the guitars.. i loved bars 19 and 20 where each of the guitars are playing something completely different but made it fit in so well together...
the electric bit starting at bar 49 was awesome.. loved the groove..
solo B1 was really good... i think it would have been better if the harmony had started at bar 69 instead of 76..
the next acoustic interlude was really good.. i did think it went on for a bit too long though.. i'd suggest adding an acoustic melody line, in which case you could even lengthen the section a bit without it seeming too long... on that note, i did think the distorted bit was a really good idea... it reminded me a lot opeth...
the next heavy bit was really good... very neo-classical(ish)... would love to hear the bass once its done..
i think that section before where it becomes really heavy and chuggy (bars 182 and 183) did not really fit in, in the sense that it made the chuggy bit feel out of place in the song.. i think you should change that a bit, so that it leads into the heavy bit better... i also think that chuggy bit went on for a little too long before the harmonization came in...
the final acoustic bit was REALLY good... i really dug that...
would love to see the completed/extended version...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
It's good, but a bit too disjointed.

All the acoustic work is nice. But that octave melody, while nice comes in way too strong; you dont need to layer it the first time around.

The leads are all really cool as well. And I cant remember exactly where it was, but there was a part that reminded me of Orchid/Morningrise, which was the best part of the song so far. Then the heavy part came out of nowhere, and didnt work at all. Cool on its on, but for the context? Not so much.

The acoustic after that comes out of nowhere as well, but it works this time.

In all, it has potential... but you need to work on the flow, and not layer so much (like parts where two guitars play the same thing and its unnecessary, ie: the octave melody over the acoustics, etc).
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Thanks for the detailed crits guys! Much appreciated...I'll definitely look into what you guys and I'll see what I should do...I did the song like this because that's just how it rolled out...I agree it's a little too genre confused but I dunno, I'll have to see what happens. Thanks again!
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?