Can you guys tell me some songs with solos that are kinda based off arpeggios but aren't really arps? Like a lot of David Gilmour's stuff but more modern?
aiit this isn't modern stuff at all, but the first thing that has to come to mind when you thin kof arpeggio-based soloing, charlie parker (yardbird), pretty much all he did in his solo's, though always in a unique way, i am convinced that everything that can be learned about the concept can be learned from just a few parker solo's.
you can deduce some coltrane the same way, giving you substitution arpeggio's of the chords..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
In Orion by Metallica in the slow solo towards the middle there is a arpeggio type solo... pretty sick too but not an actual sweeping arpeggio.
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by Cheesepuff
Can you guys tell me some songs with solos that are kinda based off arpeggios but aren't really arps?

Can you clarify this part? I'd like to help you out but I have absolutely no idea what you're asking.
Not exactly modern, but in the intro solo in Fade to Black, by Metallica, about half way through, Kirk Hammet does a faster lick (compared to all the other stuff he was playing earlier) which is largely based on arpeggios. He also does quite a few in the main solo, however they are more 'obvious' arpeggios, if you like.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Not sure what you mean by "are kinda based off arpeggios but aren't really arps," but this solo is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thk4l-qgf_s

I think he means the use of arpeggios that aren't just straight up and down as the sweeping in this solo sounds like it is to me.

I wish I could help TS, sorry.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yngwie Malmsteen is major of arpeggios, never actually were the greatest fan, but he is good... Try out Arpeggios from hell for example. You can find the video in You tube, and tabs can be found in ultimate guitar forums, if my memory serves me right.

- Fox
You are asking for David Gilmour stuff Arpeggios. I understand more or less what you are trying to say but Gilmour plays arpeggios really slow and full of feeling (like all of Gilmour soloing). I think in the solo of Time when the chord progression goes to Dmaj7 there is a nice slow arpeggio of Gilmour. Check it out.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Arpeggio = broken chord
Chord = 3 notes or more
solo based off of arpeggio = solo that contains three notes or more

So by saying solos based of off arpeggios you're talking about the majority of solos since the start of time.

Be specific.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Arpeggio = broken chord
Chord = 3 notes or more
solo based off of arpeggio = solo that contains three notes or more

So by saying solos based of off arpeggios you're talking about the majority of solos since the start of time.

Be specific.

No he's saying he wants solo's made of arpeggios or solos made of broken chords, not solos made of 3 or more notes.

Well for one, all sweep solos are based off arpeggios, so try the solo at the end of selkies by between the buried and me.
Quote by ouchies
No he's saying he wants solo's made of arpeggios or solos made of broken chords, not solos made of 3 or more notes.

Well for one, all sweep solos are based off arpeggios, so try the solo at the end of selkies by between the buried and me.

He also said something about david gilmour... Maybe specific wasn't exactly the right word, but what exactly TS has asked is rather ambiguous.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by MrFox
Yngwie Malmsteen is major of arpeggios, never actually were the greatest fan, but he is good... Try out Arpeggios from hell for example. You can find the video in You tube, and tabs can be found in ultimate guitar forums, if my memory serves me right.

- Fox

I think Malmsteen is one of the most over hyped guitarists right now right next to Jimi Hendrix. The fascination that people have with both of them is almost cult-like.

All of that said he is certainly the best person to learn or arpeggios and sweeps.
Quote by silentdud
I think Malmsteen is one of the most over hyped guitarists right now right next to Jimi Hendrix. The fascination that people have with both of them is almost cult-like.

While I think to a certain extent you're right I don't think the influence they had can really be over-rated, Hendrix changed the face of guitar music as we know it and Malmsteen took technique to a whole new level for rock guitar that it now present in so, so many bands and players.

I do agree that the fanboys need to calm down a bit though...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.