my MIM strat seems to be stuck in "f" tuning.

its set up beutifully, never goes out of tune, even when i use the wammy bar. but its stuck half a tone too high.

if i try to detune it to e standard, it just stays in f.

what's going on, how can i stop it.
Does it sound like it's lowering in pitch when you loosen the tuning machines? If so, I'd check your tuner, not the guitar. I can't see how the guitar can "stick" at any tuning, unless if maybe the tuning machines are broken, and the knobs aren't actually turning the gears. It'd be pretty rare for all of them to break at once though. Try each string and make sure the posts are actually turning as you turn the knob. It should be an easy thing to see which, if any, aren't moving, and which ones are.
it's nothing like that,

if i use a tuner, it says the bottom e is an f, so i lower it to an e. then i go through the other strings tuning them to a,d, etc. but then when i check the strings again, its back to f.

the only thing i thought of was that the floating bridge is just compensating for the change in tension, keeping it at the same pitch.
Quote by mfox4000
it's nothing like that,

if i use a tuner, it says the bottom e is an f, so i lower it to an e. then i go through the other strings tuning them to a,d, etc. but then when i check the strings again, its back to f.

the only thing i thought of was that the floating bridge is just compensating for the change in tension, keeping it at the same pitch.

Give this a try then. Detune the entire guitar so that all strings are slack. Start over tuning each up to pitch, but instead of starting at the low E, start with the two middle strings, DG. Work your way out to the outboard strings last. So it'd be D, G, A, B, low E, and finally high E. Some necks/trems are touchy when it comes to tuning order. Usually this is more for when installing a new set of strings, but it can't hurt to try it. And, be sure you're coming up to standard pitch from below, not dropping down to pitch from above.
If it happens after this, well, ???